Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

I really want to be car-free BUT...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 01:20 PM
nostalgic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel as though all the factors involved are working against me.

1. I'm a single female.

2. I live in Phoenix, AZ, which is somewhat bicycle-friendly, but I've heard quite a few complaints about the bike-friendliness and the metro bus system.

I'm returning to college to become a professional Math tutor, and my goal is to accomplish that without using a car.

People continue to tell me I NEED a car, and behind their words is the fear that I will end up in a helpless situation if I sell the car.

My gut says "sell it" because I know what I can do without a car, and I feel more free without it.

Ideas?
Old 04-03-10, 01:28 PM
Torrilin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I think it's pretty silly to sell the car before you have a routine down... and we're on year 3 of officially car free, and year 5 of practically car free. So... how often are you getting places by bike, on foot, and via mass transit?
Old 04-03-10, 01:28 PM
donrhummy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would do some research on a few things:

1. The area where you'll be living and commuting - are the roads ride-able, are there any bike clubs you can speak with

2. See how far you'll need to commute on a regular basis and determine if you can handle that

3. Find all the bike stores in the area and talk to them about your plans, ask for suggestions

4. See if there are any services like zipcar or rental groups in the rare cases you'll need a car

5. See if there's any public transportation

6. Scope out the grocery stores, etc

Also, check walkscore.com.
Old 04-03-10, 03:05 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As others have said, selling your car is the last thing to do. If you want though, get a safety deposit box in a bank and put the keys there. The car will be available, but hard to use. Though you will want to give it a spin on a monthly basis for its own good.

Then tackle things one by one, commute, do shopping, whatever. And figure out what works for you. Any problems you have, bring them up here and in the utility and commuting forums. Then after you have gone through a complete year and have faced most situations, you will have the confidence to become completely car-free.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-03-10, 03:29 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you wish to be with an engine, sell the car and get a scooter. You can ride around in the evening and travel to places you may not want to by bike. Like someone previously mentioned, if you need a car, rent one.
Old 04-03-10, 06:13 PM
bhc

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Haro Mary, Redline Monocog, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I understand your question right, you will be a tutor and will need to travel to the student's home, is that the case? Could you set up your tutoring location at a public spot such as a library? If so, you probably would have a place well served by public transportation, if there is a difficulty in traveling by bicycle. I also live in AZ, Bullhead City, so I understand the matter of riding in extreme heat.
Old 04-04-10, 06:40 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
  1. Park the Car
  2. Don't drive the car
  3. After a period of time SELL THE CAR

You never know what you can do until you try!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-04-10, 11:09 AM
Llamero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelmama
If you wish to be with an engine, sell the car and get a scooter. You can ride around in the evening and travel to places you may not want to by bike. Like someone previously mentioned, if you need a car, rent one.
This is what we do. We have a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for any trips to the nearest town (20 miles away). We use the rental car service for any trips longer than that. We've also turned away from our bikes more and more, learning the relaxed simplicity of walking wherever you need to go.
Old 04-05-10, 01:17 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the idea of putting the car keys in a safe deposit box.

I also think that if you can do without your car for a month, chances are you can do without it forever. (you might still choose to have a car at some point but you'll probably see it more as a choice with some benefits and downsides, and less as something forced upon you by life circumstances.)

If it doesn't work to "try it out" by leaving the car parked for a month, you might not be ready to be car free.

(but hey, if you want to, your "try-it-out" month could include trying out a nearby rental car or car-share company.)
Old 04-05-10, 01:54 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You still need to keep up insurance if you plan on using the vehicle for "emergencies." That's a tremendous cost when you add it up.

I think you should ditch it. You'll only learn what you can do by doing it. If the car is there you'll still be tempted to use it.
Old 04-05-10, 05:17 PM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
I would do some research on a few things:

1. The area where you'll be living and commuting - are the roads ride-able, are there any bike clubs you can speak with

2. See how far you'll need to commute on a regular basis and determine if you can handle that

3. Find all the bike stores in the area and talk to them about your plans, ask for suggestions

4. See if there are any services like zipcar or rental groups in the rare cases you'll need a car

5. See if there's any public transportation

6. Scope out the grocery stores, etc

Also, check walkscore.com.
Oh wow my walk score is 26, I think it should be higher.
Old 04-06-10, 09:21 PM
hshearer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm also a single girl (my husband is living 3000 kms away, so I think that counts). That's definitely not an obstacle to being car-free, for me. Are you nervous about travelling alone? A cell phone could be a good solution to that, and maybe isn't a bad thing to have on you, anyways (I'm also "cell-free", though... is that a thing yet?).

Any place can be bike friendly if you know how to handle it. The Advocacy and Safety forum will teach you how to take care of your own safety, even if your city won't.

NEVER listen to advice about cycling from people who don't ride bikes. They don't get it. Not even close. They probaly think you should ride on the sidewalk, and that 2 miles on a bike is a long way. You know what you're capable of.

Don't sell the car immediately. It's a nice safety net to have while you perfect your routine. Make an effort to choose the bike first, and eventually you'll figure out how to do almost everything without the car. You could even take the insurance off of it once you're relying on it less. I still have my car, because I haven't bothered to sell it yet, but it hasn't had plates for over 6 months. I have insured it with 24-hour permits 3 times since then, but those were for trips that I could have taken by taxi for about the same cost.
Old 04-07-10, 11:49 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Llamero
This is what we do. We have a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for any trips to the nearest town (20 miles away). We use the rental car service for any trips longer than that. We've also turned away from our bikes more and more, learning the relaxed simplicity of walking wherever you need to go.
In what sense is it more relaxing or simpler to ride a screeching motorbike instead of a real bike?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-07-10, 01:14 PM
cZa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline

I think you should ditch it. You'll only learn what you can do by doing it. If the car is there you'll still be tempted to use it.
I would tend to agree alot with this philosophy. If you have gone over why you would need the car and have a solution that doesn't require the car then you don't need the car. I can't think of any emergency that requires a car for me... Maybe an ambulance but they don't offer a auto free method there.
Old 04-07-10, 01:15 PM
cZa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline

I would tend to agree alot with this philosophy. If you have gone over why you would need the car and have a solution that doesn't require the car then you don't need the car. I can't think of any emergency that requires a car for me... Maybe an ambulance but they don't offer a auto free method there.
Old 04-12-10, 01:41 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
In what sense is it more relaxing or simpler to ride a screeching motorbike instead of a real bike?
In the sense that they don't wanna walk 20 miles at a time! Geez, fine print...! The relaxing simplicity was referring to hoofing it, not pedaling. I caught that, are you between projects at work? Too much coffee, not enough sex, what?
Old 04-12-10, 01:49 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I weaned myself off of the car. Also, whenever a problem came up, I looked for a solution. For example, one of my bikes is a Surly Big Dummy, and I have a trailer for my short bikes, therefore very little is too much for me to do by car. (I'll be getting a bakfiest soon, which will make my cargo options even better.) We have some serious hills here in WV--we aren't called the Mountain State--so I got a Stokemonkey electric assist for the Big Dummy.
Old 04-12-10, 01:51 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, forgot to say what I was gonna....

I commuted by bike for 4 years before I got rid of the car for the last time; since winters are kinda bad here (not a prob in AZ), I drove about six weeks out of the year to work, and did errands 2-3x/month with the car before just parking the thing. The last full month I owned it, I never touched it. The following month, drove it 2x, and on the 3rd try, the engine decided it had had enough abuse. Since the repair would have cost more than the car did, I called the boneyard, and never looked back. That was 2004.

I have a kid trailer that I can haul a week's groceries for 8 in, and the bus service here goes from a block away from my house to the parking lot of my job in like, 10 minutes. So, if needed, I can grab the bus.

It IS all about the routine; figure out and pre-ride your route, and look for offshoots and alternates. Time yourself, and allow at least 10% fudge factor. Have a repair kit on you at all times (and since you're a single female, I don't think I have to tell you to carry self-protection of some sort).
Old 04-25-10, 05:15 AM
PawsonBikes
Touring with little dogs!

Bikes: Schwinn Touring, Miami Citizens Bike (folding)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say, take it one day at a time! Two years ago I had an issue with my right leg & couldn't drive, I did all my errands & visiting friends via my touring bike. Once the issue was taken care of I still, out of habit just went for the bike. Mind you I live in South Florida and everything was very close by. I have now moved to Central Florida to care for my Mom who is ill. Last year I purchased a folding bike that has been my main transportation, she does have a car and it is used when I need to take her to the Dr. otherwise, it sits in the garage & I go by bike. I use the doggie trailer for grocery shopping and take rides with my dogs. No need to commute to work, I am lucky enough to work from home, so my commute is from the coffee pot to my desk. The less you stress about it and make your commute decision on a daily basis, I believe you will find that you will be opting more for your bike and less for the car.
Old 04-25-10, 08:52 AM
WilliamH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You definitely shouldn't leap before checking the whole situation out less you'd want to end up in a bigger problem than having to decide selling your car or otherwise.

Every case is different and it'll only come down to what you can take personally so just give it a few weeks or so before you decide.
Old 04-26-10, 04:24 AM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having a car can indeed come in handy. But besides that, I've found that if I really need a car there's always someone who is willing to let me use his/hers.
I don't own a car. My commute is 30 miles round trip, and I'm loving it. Once in a while some saddle soreness comes up, but pain is only temporary.

Not having a car saves you some serious money, which can come in handy for well.. anything
Old 05-12-10, 12:16 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Have a repair kit on you at all times (and since you're a single female, I don't think I have to tell you to carry self-protection of some sort).
Such as what? A cell phone? Or are you talking about a weapon, which is completely ridiculous.
Old 05-12-10, 01:00 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazybikerchick
Such as what? A cell phone? Or are you talking about a weapon, which is completely ridiculous.
No, a hairbrush, toothbrush and condoms for the nights a woman rides over to her boyfriends house.
Old 05-13-10, 12:32 PM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would assume that the boyfriend has condoms at home... but I could be way off on that..

There really is no big deal going with out a car.. I understand your worries, but like I said, there is no big deal!

Go for it....

But if you are still woried, park it, bike, sell the car when you are comfy without using it.

Have fun!

robi
Old 05-13-10, 12:41 PM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FreddyV
Not having a car saves you some serious money, which can come in handy for well.. anything
Exactly. Including things like car rentals, bulk item delivery fees, or topping up the tank of that borrowed friend's car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.