Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Shivering/Nausea After Hard Ride?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 12:21 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The trails are finally starting to clear of snow so I took off after work on Friday and went across town. Unfortunately there was still a lot of deep slush I had to power through and it was more exhausting than usual. For some reason, maybe because my legs were wet, I didn't realize I hadn't had anything substantial to drink since lunch. I picked up an iced smoothy but it didn't sit well and that night I ended up being unable to digest dinner. Got the heaves that night and had a bad chill.

Granted, it was 50 f. inside but for me that's usually not a problem. In fact when I work out during the day I usually sleep "hot"

Hit the trails again yesterday, had no particular weakness but got the shakes again last night. Had to take a hot shower at midnight to warm up.

Do you think this is just the effects of bad dehydration and muscle damage, or something worse?
Old 04-05-10, 02:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
hydration; nutrition and temperature regulation. if it's cold cover your skin to avoid excessive evaporation.

chills and nausea can also be from food poisoning or some other bacteria that you ingested which you could have picked up from a door handle at a convenience store. all employees must wash hands for a reason.
Old 04-05-10, 02:56 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did have some very questionable falafel en route. Had an odd fishy taste to it.
Old 04-05-10, 11:37 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
odd, normally i get that when i am suffering from heat exhaustion, but if you ate something funky, it might take a couple of days for that to work its way out of your system. id rest and take it easy for the next few days and see what happens.
Old 04-05-10, 11:43 PM
NBS 4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be food poisoning. Have you been riding much through the winter? Acid taste in your mouth? A good way to rid yourself of that nausea (if it is exercise related) is to drink some carbonated water.
Old 04-06-10, 09:30 AM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. It was just bad food, made worse by overdoing it without enough hydration. Maybe the falafel, maybe those warm raw oysters I had Thursday night.