Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Convince me (mostly the wife) to let me buy a $5000+ bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Convince me (mostly the wife) to let me buy a $5000+ bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 10:16 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a good, interchangeable power meter.

Originally Posted by Original Post
Hello,

I want to be convinced with all your sarcasm, satire, and humor to buy a $5,000-10,000+ dollar dream machine racing bicycle.

I spent $9000 dollars this year on a motorcycle and I barely ride it. Forgot to mention though, she recently bought me a birthday present, motorcycle saddlebags to get me to use it more. I think she likes going on rides on it. Selling it is out.

I spent about $3000 on my enduro road bike this year including clothing and gear. It was an entry level carbon enduro road bike and I've put thousands of miles and hundreds of hours on her over the season.

I'm considering biting the bullet and saving over the winter to emerge into next season with my dream road race geometry frame with quality components/wheels.
I do race. currently looking to enter Cat 3. Would it be worth it or not?

It sounds great to me, but then I think... it's just a light bike with no motor. Metal pipes, carbon wheels, and gadgetry. To top it off, I have 5 other bikes already. How do I justify this to, example, the wife.
Update
I can pretty much do whatever I want with my money, wife approved, but I'm starting out by purchasing some of the important bits instead of going gung-ho with the frame and new groupset.

I think the most beneficial thing I can do currently is biking with a computer/power. I usually find out my speed and estimated wattage after I upload my ride onto strava.

Pickin' up the Edge 1000 bundle tomorrow, and I'm looking for a power meter to go along with it.
I mainly race two bikes (Road / CX) so I'm thinking what would be friendly for these and easy to change about.

I'm thinking this might count out Garmin Vector pedals because they're one sided?

Last edited by Panza; 09-24-14 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Didn't want to make a new thread.
Old 09-15-14, 10:25 AM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pic of wife?
Old 09-15-14, 10:32 AM
oespinoza83
burp

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are a Cat 3 (or eligible to upgrade), you should know that it isn't about the bike. Unless we are talking TT bike vs road bike + clips and a few other scenarios, all of which are still debatable. I know Cat 3s that race on decent aluminum bikes and have no issues winning. Wheels are more important imo.
Old 09-15-14, 10:34 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sell a couple bikes and/or your motorcycle and use that money to get your new bike. You can argue that there's no net spending involved in this case.
Old 09-15-14, 10:34 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oespinoza83
If you are a Cat 3 (or eligible to upgrade), you should know that it isn't about the bike. Unless we are talking TT bike vs road bike + clips and a few other scenarios, all of which are still debatable. I know Cat 3s that race on decent aluminum bikes and have no issues winning. Wheels are more important imo.
Definitely have Zipp 404's on my mind tbh because these 2400g+ basic wheelset feel sluggish. I think the rest of the bike is just for 80% personal lust factor and perhaps 20% geometry/stiffer frame.
Old 09-15-14, 10:35 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
pic of wife?
I'm unsure about this. lol.
Old 09-15-14, 10:36 AM
EvilWeasel

Bikes: Trekalized 7.Sequoia Elite+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy her something.... preferably a shiny object when you buy the bike. It's going to cost extra but it's worth it.
Old 09-15-14, 10:37 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilWeasel
Buy her something.... preferably a shiny object when you buy the bike. It's going to cost extra but it's worth it.
You sir. This answer. Is PRICELESS.
Old 09-15-14, 10:40 AM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
Sell a couple bikes and/or your motorcycle and use that money to get your new bike. You can argue that there's no net spending involved in this case.
You're not going to get a better justification than this.
Old 09-15-14, 10:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
First of all, it is important to accept that neither part of the following statement is true:

You need the bike if and only if you race. Not the if part, not the only if part.

Second let's strategize. I don't believe in bull****ting wives, not mine, not anybody's. I see two alternatives.

You can be right up front with her. Tell her you are an unrepentant materialist who needs to buy said bike to satisfy a totally irrational, yet very powerful urge. That's it. If she knows you as well as she should, she will likely just throw up her hands and give in. Keep in mind that she may extract equal treatment, however. So the $5,000-10,000 dollar bike could wind up costing $10,000-20,000.

On the other hand you could sell the motorcycle and three of your current bikes. Then you wouldn't have to justify the purchase to anyone, not her and not yourself.

Easy peasey, lemon squeezy.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-15-14, 10:45 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My other bikes probably would only get a few hundred dollars at best as theyre quite old and not as valuable unfortunately.
Old 09-15-14, 10:49 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That motorcycle killed it...Why do you barely ride it? Cycling instead?
Old 09-15-14, 11:01 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panza
I want to be convinced with all your sarcasm, satire, and humor to buy a $5,000-10,000+ dollar dream machine racing bicycle.

I spent $9000 dollars this year on a motorcycle and I barely ride it. Forgot to mention though, she recently bought me a birthday present, motorcycle saddlebags to get me to use it more. I think she likes going on rides on it. Selling it is out.
I forgot the part about "sarcasm, satire, and humor"... so... Sell the dang motorcycle, buy the bike, and ride the wife.
Old 09-15-14, 11:02 AM
garyus

Bikes: 88 schwinn tempo gary fisher mamba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Sometimes it works.
Old 09-15-14, 11:02 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question is are you going to race a $5K+ bike and be okay with it?
Old 09-15-14, 11:23 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Hello,

I spent about $3000 on my enduro road bike this year including clothing and gear. It was an entry level carbon enduro road bike and I've put thousands of miles and hundreds of hours on her over the season.

I'm considering biting the bullet and saving over the winter to emerge into next season with my dream road race geometry frame with quality components/wheels.
I do race. currently looking to enter Cat 3. Would it be worth it or not?

It sounds great to me, but then I think... it's just a light bike with no motor. Metal pipes, carbon wheels, and gadgetry. To top it off, I have 5 other bikes already. How do I justify this to, example, the wife.
Not sure of your experience with frame characteristics but "dream geometry" may not be what you expect. After racing for 27 seasons I bought a custom frame. I immediately had one major thing I had to change. I ordered another frame the following year and it was fine. I then sent the first frame back and had the builder modify it (at my expense).

Now that I've done that I love both my custom bikes. Both would be considered somewhat cutting edge frames. In 1998. By today's standards it's an entry level frame. It's fine. I upgraded to Cat 2 on that first frame with its major flaw. The flaw - due to weight distribution issues the rear wheel chattered/skipped in pretty much every turn, even while coasting, and I couldn't pedal like I usually do in corners. A shorter chainstay fixed it and made the frame even snappier out of the saddle.

As far as convincing the wife. When I was looking for an SRM ($2.5-3k) I found a complete Record-SRM SystemSix bike for sale through a bike shop. When I called her to get a feel for her opinion on what I should do (it was just a little under your $5k number) her first question was, "Did you buy it?" When I answered no she asked me, "What are you waiting for??" She's an ally in my cycling, not an opponent.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 09-15-14, 11:25 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Give the motorcycle to your wife, that frees you up for a new bicycle.
Old 09-15-14, 11:28 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdon
But if he does that he'll have to give her rides!
Old 09-15-14, 11:32 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Convince the wife that you need a new road bike to stay in top form so you'll be around for her much longer. Then promise after every weekend ride that you'll take her for a ride.... and then one on the motorcycle.
Old 09-15-14, 12:01 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a $5K bike without asking her and she still won't leave me.

I don't know what I gotta do...she's like a booger on my finger...I keep shaking and shaking, but she still hangs around.
Old 09-15-14, 12:08 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
How long have you been married**********

Wife and I have been married 41 years. Went looking for a bike and found this Propel Advanced SL 0 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States. She really like it and so did I but I said I really don't need one that expensive. I said the $5,000 dollar bike is fine, she asked if I was sure, I said yes and she said get it.

Go in with very high expectations and ask if it's OK to spend far less and mention that you will still be very happy with it.
Old 09-15-14, 12:19 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
pic of wife?
^^^ this, where she ranks on the 1-10 scale will dictate your approach.

2-5 -- Man up and do what you want and buy a bike for your side girl also.
5-7 -- Create a thread on BikeForums.net asking for help on how to convince your wife to buy you a bike. Or do point #1 depending on her build.
7-10 -- You should be too tired from having sex 4 times per day every day to worry about a bike.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-15-14, 12:39 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Then the wife's going to look hot riding the motorcycle. She then meets some guy, leave the OP, and he can buy the bike. Everyone is happy
Old 09-15-14, 12:43 PM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAAD10 is cheap... and just as light (if not lighter) than carbon.

$4400 gets the top of the line (though it's got non-race friendly discs)
Old 09-15-14, 12:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
[h=2]Convince me (mostly the wife) to let me buy a $5000+ bike[/h]
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I'm eyeing a Emonda SLR Red 22. I'm not worried about the wife, but my son. He's a cyclist and knows what it will cost.

But then, he has a Madone 6.7 with Red.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.