Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post Your Bridgestones -- The Unofficial Bridgestone Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 09:06 AM
halb 

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
halb

Mountaindave,

I know, I know. The donor moved to FL, started a new collection, and wanted me to "take care of." his New England bikes.
In my ongoing run of bicycle good fortune, I found a Fila bike on CL. The seller was clearly flipping the bike, and I heard his
wife coaching him, "meet him anywhere, just sell it." So, the Fila has a complete Suntour XC Pro gruppo, all in good shape.
Kind of a parts bike for the Zip...or not.
Old 04-23-20, 07:09 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I normally don’t read the C&V Forum, but I noticed this zombie thread as a New Post. I bought a Bridgestone RB-1 in the mid-1980’s that looked something like this one:
Originally Posted by nervgs
Yay, I was able to get my post count high enough now to post some pictures.........

Here's how the RB-1 was setup to ride from Los Angeles to San Diego. Note, the wheels are Campy Victory tubs with a 6-speed freewheel. With that, only the saddle and pedals are non factory parts, everything else is how it would had come direct from Bridgestone at the time (even the bar tape).

Here is a better picture without that saddle bottle holder thing and spare tub on the seat tube....

I previously had a Mercier that I used for touring include a coss-country ride, and the bottom bracket wore out. I bought the Bridgestone because it fit. I was flattered when occasional cyclists commented and admired it.

Sheldon Brown, whom I had never even knew of while alive in Boston, wrote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
Bridgestone "road" bikes, particularly the legendary RB-1, combine frame design taken from classic Italian road bikes of the '70's with excellent Japanese workmanship and functional, reliable parts.

The RB-1 was extremely popular with racers, and held its own against competing models costing hundreds of dollars more.

https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/
Unfortunately in 2012, I was hit from behind by a hit-and-run, who turned himself in the next day,

(Police photos)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-23-20 at 07:39 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 04-23-20, 09:44 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Looks like you got launched. That sucks.
Old 04-23-20, 10:26 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

I normally don’t read the C&V Forum, but I noticed this zombie thread as a New Post.

Oh it's not a zombie thread, it's been more or less continuously active since 2011.

Glad you survived that wreck - yikes!!
Old 04-24-20, 03:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by curbtender
Looks like you got launched. That sucks
Originally Posted by mountaindave
...Glad you survived that wreck - yikes!!
Thanks for your remarks. I was in acute and rehab hospitals for six weeks, off work for three months, and off the bike for five.

Speaking of being launched, not to be morbid, but I have posted:
I was riding at about 9 PM on a wide, well-lit, low volume residential suburban street with no parked cars, wearing two rear view blinkies, and right and left rear view mirrors when I got hit from behind. It was so serene that I don’t remember what I was thinking.

I do have this memory, not of the immediate impact, and perhaps not even real, of my feet coming out of my clipped-on cycling shoes. Nothing then until vague memories of the hubbub at the scene,

I now scan my rear more frequently than before.

IMO, rear view mirrors are the best way to bolster your confidnce on the road.
I never inquired of the police report about how I was found, although,
...The police were great, and their report at the subsequent trial was spot on and particularly noted my details for visibility, including lights and high vis vest. The driver got a year in jail
So this Bridgestone thread dredged up a lot of memories. Sorry to intrude on this otherwise cheerful thread; consider it a “Scared Straight” message, but I frequently read the Advocacy&Safety and Road Cycling Forums. .

I normally don’t read the C&V Forum, but I noticed this zombie thread as a New Post….
Oh it's not a zombie thread, it's been more or less continuously active since 2011….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-24-20 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-24-20, 05:20 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

So often we hear about such tragedies where drivers are not held responsible for their actions. Amazing that the driver turned themselves in and then actually got jail time. And glad it wasn’t worse for you - sounds bad enough!

More tangential, I always had a mirror when pulling a trailer or Trail-a-Bike with my kids or just biking with them - I wanted to know where the were and what was behind me. Recently I found a vintage Mirrycle for my vintage commuter in the sales forum here and fell in love with its wide-angle view. I got a second one out of the $2 bin at the co-op for another bike. I now feel weird when on a bike without a mirror so got a glasses-mounted Take-A-Look.

However, it is surprising sometimes just how quickly someone can come up behind me in a car seemingly out of nowhere. I’ve fortunately never been hit, but definitely been made to feel like an easily squashable bug by impatient or inconsiderate motorists.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 04-24-20, 06:20 AM
Jim from Boston

...And glad it wasn’t worse for you - sounds bad enough!

More tangential, I always had a mirror when pulling a trailer or Trail-a-Bike with my kids or just biking with them - I wanted to know where the were and what was behind me...

However, it is surprising sometimes just how quickly someone can come up behind me in a car seemingly out of nowhere. I’ve fortunately never been hit, but definitely been made to feel like an easily squashable bug by impatient or inconsiderate motorists.
Thanks again for that reply. I'm a mirror advocate, virtually an evangelist, and I wear two eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirrors, left and right (link)..

Speaking of responding to an upcoming car, have I posted:
Originally Posted by JW Fas
"Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMKp71vW-I
Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”

I’m an ardent mirror advocate. Many naysayers disparage the use of the mirror for the rare event as depicted above, just to avoid a rear end collision. IMO a mirror is more frequently used, and more valuable to monitor and anticipate road hazards:

So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to a quickly upcomimg car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Loose chip seal is a problem. Governments should sweep it up, say after a couple of months post application. Of course, there is the accumulation of other road debris.

Rumbles? If I heard them 50 feet behind myself, they would be a strong wake-up.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If the closing speed is 50 mph, that gives you 0.68 seconds to get out of the way.
Perhaps, ...At what point do you realize that the upcoming car ain't gonna swerve out of your line of travel?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-24-20 at 06:55 AM. Reason: added quotes by CliffordK and mr_bill
Old 05-04-20, 11:24 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
During my Covid layoff period, I've been through most of my bikes and gotten them ready to ride. Now I've started in on the "others", some of which had a purpose once, but have been hanging in the basement for a few years.
My Ramp Rat, which I'd singled out for airport duty, now has a 3x7 drivetrain.
I do need to replace the brake pads, and possibly the tires, but we're rolling along nicely now.

Need to get used to the downtube shifters after so many years of brifters and bar-ends.

It's heavy, hi-ten steel and all, but come the apocalypse, the giant irradiated cockroaches will have something to ride.

I don't imagine Pierre's is still in business, but they might be pleased to know one of their bikes is still kickin'.

Last edited by velojym; 05-04-20 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For velojym:
Old 05-08-20, 01:28 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
@velojym man that is a sharp looking bike, high-end or low-end. Just looks right.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-12-20, 04:22 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
CL freebie I couldn't pass on even with the virus plus it's my size. Totally practiced the protocol. I even used two sets of gloves for loading and unloading. Lysol sprayed. Tear down probably next week at the earliest.
1991 MB4 with what looks like all oem parts. All the Ritchey goodies are there. Drivetrain and brakes will probably be changed to a Deore LX set I have (sans the LX wheelset as I'd rather use the Ritcheys it has on). I'll order a replacement pair of logo dt decals.
IMG_2739 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_2745 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_2740 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_2743 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_2742 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-18-20, 05:20 PM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Couldn't pass this thread by. My 1991 -- or '92, I don't really know -- XO-2. Funnest bike I've ever had. Just wish I could stop fiddling with it.

Old 06-02-20, 03:49 PM
2cam16

Finished the MB-4 this morning. Threw in a few parts I had laying around: Juli Furtado Selle saddle, Girvin stem, Lizard Skins protector,switched to a riser. Replaced the Suntour drivetrain to Deore LX. I installed all my LX parts except the wheels as I wanted to keep the Ritcheys. Hookworms are temporary until I find some better tires.
DSC_2123 by 2cam16, on Flickr
DSC_2143 by 2cam16, on Flickr
DSC_2140 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 06-08-20, 09:51 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Made a few changes to my 1989 MB-5 recently. Replaced the original Ritchey bars with newer Ritchey bars with more rise and sweep and new grips, updated the brake pads with Kool-Stops, and added a front rack and bag.
Old 06-08-20, 08:58 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

[QUOTE=2cam16;21511748]Finished the MB-4 this morning. Threw in a few parts I had laying around: Juli Furtado Selle saddle, Girvin stem, Lizard Skins protector,switched to a riser. Replaced the Suntour drivetrain to Deore LX. I installed all my LX parts except the wheels as I wanted to keep the Ritcheys. Hookworms are temporary until I find some better tires.
/QUOTE]
Dayum - that’s 1980’s hot! The yellow was a good choice.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 06-08-20, 10:14 PM
2cam16

[QUOTE=mountaindave;21523205]
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Finished the MB-4 this morning. Threw in a few parts I had laying around: Juli Furtado Selle saddle, Girvin stem, Lizard Skins protector,switched to a riser. Replaced the Suntour drivetrain to Deore LX. I installed all my LX parts except the wheels as I wanted to keep the Ritcheys. Hookworms are temporary until I find some better tires.
/QUOTE]
Dayum - that’s 1980’s hot! The yellow was a good choice.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-20, 09:44 AM
MarkusT 

Bikes: 2020 Giant Talon 2, 99 GT XCR 3000, 01 Titus Racer X, 80's PUCH Meteor MTB, 14' Crosstrail Elite, 92&93 Bridgestone OX-3, Marin Point Reyes (polished), 80's Mongoose Hilltopper, Giant Cypress SX, 96 Giant ATX 890, 94 Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
92 xo-1

Hi all, just picked up this sweet ride!
Likes For MarkusT:
Old 06-10-20, 12:00 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by MarkusT
Hi all, just picked up this sweet ride!
Nice, what Grant was all about.
Old 06-30-20, 04:45 PM
curbtender

Originally Posted by hazetguy
This came home with me today, local purchase.

Another nice. Any upgrades coming?
Old 06-30-20, 08:41 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by hazetguy
This came home with me today, local purchase.

Sweet find! It looks amazing for its age. If you change your mind about it, she looks like she could fit a tall guy...
Old 06-30-20, 11:48 PM
cfernandez 

Bikes: Currently: '07 Lemond Buenos Aires, '01 Lemond Zurich, '85 Schwinn Peloton, '99 Schwinn Moab 1, '01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 1, '87 Bottecchia Team SLX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts

Found this on a Craigslist ad in CO. It was his mother's bike. Cool mom I say.

Turned it into this for the 2019 Eroica in Cambria, CA. Mostly DA now. The original parts of the RB-1 are on my wife's Bianchi SX.

Tektro brake levers. Most like my Campy levers on my other bikes.

I used some Suntour pedals with steel toe clips for the Eroica ride. It is required!

Love that B!
Likes For cfernandez:
Old 07-01-20, 12:47 AM
BSmooth

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One of my all-time favorite RB-1's, still looks good!
Old 07-01-20, 12:49 AM
BSmooth

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! What a find!.
Old 07-04-20, 07:43 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 602 Posts
Snagged this '88 RB-3 as part of a package deal, I was after another bike they had for sale but shot them an offer on both. Just finished getting it cleaned and tuned and put it on FB Marketplace. If it was a 25" RB-1 in this shape it wouldn't be for sale that's for sure. Yeah, I noticed the open brake release on the front brake as soon as I uploaded the picture last night LOL, that's been taken care of.

HOLY FREEWHEELS!!! Sold already and if it had been a 21 inch I could have sold about 4 more just like it! It didn't make it 18 hours and the old K Mart coaster brake I put on at the same time only lasted 17 minutes.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 07-04-20 at 12:59 PM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 07-04-20, 08:46 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Snagged this '88 RB-3 as part of a package deal, I was after another bike they had for sale but shot them an offer on both. Just finished getting it cleaned and tuned and put it on FB Marketplace. If it was a 25" RB-1 in this shape it wouldn't be for sale that's for sure.
I was scanning CL and saw a bike for sale in front of such and RB-1. I shot the seller a message and he put out a price that was fair for the condition of the bike (had some drivetrain issues and rust) but I snapped it up! It’s my pocket rocket in the stable.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 07-04-20, 09:34 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 602 Posts
I was scanning CL and saw a bike for sale in front of such and RB-1. I shot the seller a message and he put out a price that was fair for the condition of the bike (had some drivetrain issues and rust) but I snapped it up! It’s my pocket rocket in the stable.
I've only seen on RB-1 my size for sale locally and I missed it by an hour. Price was fair and it was nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.