Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 08-04-12, 08:35 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Oh, yeah, I'm aware of what these can be made into. Check out the Miami Vice at the top of this page that I finished a couple of weeks ago for a customer.

Mrs. is partially disabled, and our Sunday rides tend to be more like 5-6 mile jaunts around the neighborhood, so I usually keep one vintage-y 6 speed bike around for those. She's working up to do the 28 mile loop in the Tour du Port in Baltimore at the end of September. That would be the longest ride she's ever done. A real trooper, that one.
Old 08-04-12, 11:27 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After some years of casual searching, I finally landed an Ironman in my size for only 80 smackers. The original Nitto bars were flipped and chopped and the 105 group was super haggard, so I juiced it up with a complete tri-color group and white turbo saddle. The ride is fantastic and the graphics and color scheme take me back to that special place where everyone carried a Trapper Keeper and played Jazz Fusion on their Keytar.

Likes For Sizzle-Chest:
Old 08-05-12, 02:53 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
^ want (though the waterbottle cages are way too modern)
Old 08-05-12, 09:21 AM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Beauty. The quickness of the later frames, a little bit smoother, which I think is due to 1/2 degree of geometry change, but I do not know for sure.
Was the .5 change in the seat tube angle? Do you know if the fork rake changed as well?
Old 08-05-12, 09:52 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Oh, yeah, I'm aware of what these can be made into. Check out the Miami Vice at the top of this page that I finished a couple of weeks ago for a customer.

Mrs. is partially disabled, and our Sunday rides tend to be more like 5-6 mile jaunts around the neighborhood, so I usually keep one vintage-y 6 speed bike around for those. She's working up to do the 28 mile loop in the Tour du Port in Baltimore at the end of September. That would be the longest ride she's ever done. A real trooper, that one.
I saw that bike, didn't connect the names, or the dots...nice job!

Kudos to you for your love for the Mrs. and my best to her for what she's got to overcome to do what is an easy ride for most of us!

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-05-12, 10:45 AM
rccardr 

...and this one looks like it could take 28's or maybe even 32's.
Old 08-05-12, 11:19 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
Was the .5 change in the seat tube angle? Do you know if the fork rake changed as well?
I have absolutely no idea. I've read here that the geometry changed from '85 to '89, and read a review that said it changed in '89 as well. I have nothing other than anecdotal evidence from those who have multiple models.

The first Ironman in '85 was pretty much the Comp TA with Tange 1 tubing. While I've owned and ridden a Comp TA, I haven't ridden my '85 Ironman yet. Those who have later Ironman models say the '85 and the Comp TA are smoother and a little less twitchy. Sounds like that would be due to geometry.

The more aggressive frames from Centurion in '85 were the Prestige and the Cinelli-made (Chirico) Equipe.

My '86 models were smooth as silk, and suitable for hammering. I didn't upgrade them to modern wheels, so my riding on them was less aggressive than it was with later models, and not a suitable comparison. A friend that has an '86 and an '89 says the '86 is smoother.

I found the '87 - '89 models rode about the same. I could never tell a difference in the rides, but others have posted here that the geometry changed a bit over the years. I can say that an '88 Expert and an '89 Master rode the same for me. So much depends on wheels, saddles, bars, fit, etc, that I sure can't say.

It may be angles; I don't know. That stuff confuses me, so I stay away from it.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-05-12 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 08:04 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I rode my Ironman today after almost a year of riding my Apex MTB.. the bike was definitely faster and the rolling resistance is almost nonexistent, but I still felt less confident in the city overall. Going from ultra relaxed geometry with fat tires to tight geometry and 23 tires is probably going from one extreme to the other hahaha. My 89 feels very twitchy while of course the mtb feels solid as a rock

I'm thinking of selling or trading my ironman for a nice mtb now... I hope I don't get excommunicated from the centurion cult
Old 08-07-12, 04:23 PM
PXrider

Bikes: Lemond Washoe (2016);Planet-X Nanolight (2011); Planet-X Uncle John (2013)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is my 1987(?) Centurion Ironman Expert that I purchased when new (I'm pretty sure it was in 1987). All original except for the seat, pedals and tires. Shimano 105 with Biopace. It was still my primary ride in 2011 when I did 1700 miles on it including a century. Now I have a carbon bike, so the Expert has been relegated to the winter trainer. I've thought about selling it, but can't bring myself to do it just yet.

Last edited by PXrider; 08-07-12 at 04:28 PM.
Likes For PXrider:
Old 08-07-12, 10:47 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I have absolutely no idea.
It may be angles; I don't know. That stuff confuses me, so I stay away from it.
The only geometry information I found indicates the '87 has a head tube angle of 74 degrees and a seat tube angle of 73.5, which (if I understand the numbers correctly) would make it exceptionally steep and aggressive, even by today's standards. My guess is that if any angles were changed in '89 it would be a 74 degree seat tube angle, and I would also assume that these angles are what give the frame the unique riding characteristics that make it so desirable and fun to ride.
Old 08-08-12, 04:22 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by frantik
I'm thinking of selling or trading my ironman for a nice mtb now...
Originally Posted by PXrider
Now I have a carbon bike, so the Expert has been relegated to the winter trainer
Acquiring target data....JK..

Should have no problem selling or trading...both bikes are very nice. There is a 60cm 88 Expert for sale here, too, 10-sp 105 without wheels....

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-08-12 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 11:56 PM
trekKiller

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Master, Motobecane Jubile Sport, Mongoose ATB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey all, the red bike that I posted earlier in the thread was thought to be lost but my framebuider friend checked it and it's all good. Just a headset needing replaced really! but I revamped it with a Sante derailleur setup, 600 shifters and brakes with a dual pivot up front and single pivot out back (a la campy). It feels really nice. New sugino chainrings and a new cassette with a problem solvers washer on the ksyrium sl's! Michelin Erilium Kevlar tires. (soon to be something nicer, thinking conti attack/force. I already have my clipless pedals switched on. This thing is built for fast centuries and it barely over 20lbs ready to blast one!

Anyway, here she is at a popular stopping point on our trail in full instagrammed glory!
Old 08-09-12, 03:17 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Dang, that cleaned up nicely! My only suggestion would be tires other than the Attack/Force combo - I'd go with Conti Grand Prix or GP4000S, or Michelin Pro 4 Endurance for a fast century bike.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-10-12, 10:10 PM
trekKiller

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Master, Motobecane Jubile Sport, Mongoose ATB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
noted. I think I'm also gonna switch to a full sized NOS frame pump... either white or silver. Should be sweet.
Old 08-23-12, 10:02 PM
discodonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thinking of grabbing this ironman if you think it is worth this asking price. I know these are great bikes and think I need it. N+1 is a LAW and I don't want to get in trouble for not following the law.

Nashville.craigslist.org/bik/3201620391.html

Thanks!
Old 08-23-12, 10:20 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Seems a little on the high side to me. I bought my 87 Miami Vice for $175. It is in excellent shape. It has Sante components. It also came with a new extra cassette, new extra set of tires and an extra front wheel. I did really well but I still think the one you are looking at is a little high but not far off.
Old 08-24-12, 07:25 AM
discodonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I think I'll offer less and see how it goes.
Old 08-24-12, 10:57 AM
rccardr 

That's a little scuffy but not all that expensive. $400-ish seems to be the sweet spot for late 80's mid-line bikes right now in bike-friendly cities.

Tektro levers, new-ish wheelset & saddle are reasonable improvements regardless of your size or riding style. The stem and bars are different but not what I would consider an improvement.

I paid a little more than that last weekend for a MV version that was a low mileage original basement queen for a future build project and about the same price for an '85 with 600.
Old 08-24-12, 12:38 PM
discodonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
That's a little scuffy but not all that expensive. $400-ish seems to be the sweet spot for late 80's mid-line bikes right now in bike-friendly cities.

Tektro levers, new-ish wheelset & saddle are reasonable improvements regardless of your size or riding style. The stem and bars are different but not what I would consider an improvement.

I paid a little more than that last weekend for a MV version that was a low mileage original basement queen for a future build project and about the same price for an '85 with 600.
We discussed the price and he is willing to come off to $330 which I felt was about right. We are meeting in the morning for me to inspect it and take it for ride.
Old 08-24-12, 06:16 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
What is it that makes me love my '87 Expert Miami Vice with Shimano Sante components? I bought mine for real cheap and you can pick them up for a good price with 105 or 600 components. Am I mistaken or are they under appreciated? The N +1 rule still applies so if I came across another one in real good shape I would snatch it up.
Old 08-25-12, 09:58 PM
Teon

Bikes: See my signature.....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Out on a short 16 mile ride today......stopped in a local park for a break......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
centurion 1.jpg (103.9 KB, 1745 views)
Old 08-26-12, 07:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Teon
Out on a short 16 mile ride today......stopped in a local park for a break......

My size, my favorite model. Good on you.
Old 08-26-12, 07:28 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 74 Posts
I still have an eBay auto-search up for Ironmen, though I'm not really in the market, and three auctions have just come up (as of this morning, 8/26/12), two of them featuring Ironmen in small sizes.

One is a small 'Miami Vice,' local pickup only in FL and not particularly cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:B:SS:US:1123

One is that nice salmon color, evidently owned by an enthusiast: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:B:SS:US:1123

One is an '89, cheap starting price, and may need work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:B:SS:US:1123

Good luck!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 08-26-12, 08:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
One is an '89, cheap starting price, and may need work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:B:SS:US:1123

Good luck!
This one is likely a scam. Two of the photos are of different sized bikes, one appears to be a 52cm and the other a 54cm, different saddles and much different fit (note the seat post and stem heights). In the first photo, it looks like the TT cable guide is missing.

The indoor photo looks almost identical to a similar Vegas seller who sold an Ironman earlier and didn't ship it. The counter and floor tile look almost the same. This seller has 5 feedbacks. eBay nailed the other seller when he had 4. He lists frame material as aluminum.

I'd be suspicious of this one. The price is currently good, and I'd only buy it if I could pick it up.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-26-12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-26-12, 09:11 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 74 Posts
^ Good eye, Robbie. I didn't look closely at the listings, except for the salmon one, which I think has been 'outed' here on C&V as it was on Charlotte CL I think. Probably did not meet seller's price there and he's seeking a wider market. Might even be that the seller is 'one of us' as the bike has clearly been put together very thoughtfully, with cloth bar tape in a harlequin wrap, etc.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.