Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

gravel/cx bike with upright position

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 12:15 PM
simonsez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Like many, I’m confused about what type of bike to buy. I’m coming from a 29er (Specialized Crave) that was mostly used on pavement, gravel and rail trails. I was able to sell it for a good price so now I have some money to spend.

I've never owned a drop-bar bike but these new “gravel/cx” bikes have peaked my interest for what I think would work for me. I’m not getting any younger (42) and the one thing that I didn't like was the aggressive geometry/riding position of my 29er, I felt very stretched out and would get neck pains from keeping my neck up on long rides.

So having said that, if I choose the gravel/drop bar bike route I want the most upright position possible. Is it as simple as reading the geometry?
I only tested one, the Giant Anyroad and thought that was pretty good but wondering if there are others that ride more upright. My budget will be around $1500.

Also, can the geometry of any gravel bike be easily manipulated to make it more upright?

Thank you for any input and suggestions.
Old 06-09-16, 12:41 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
less reach and higher stack for your size is what you should be looking for
Old 06-09-16, 01:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11009 Post(s)
Liked 7,539 Times in 4,215 Posts
Originally Posted by simonsez
Hi,

Also, can the geometry of any gravel bike be easily manipulated to make it more upright?
This isnt anything unique to gravel bikes, but some changes can be made.

1- have a longer steerer tube. If you can get the fork uncut, then you can decide where the handlebars should be and have them up higher than typical.
2- shorter stem will sit you more upright.
3- higher angle stem will sit you more upright. Instead of a 6deg rise, get a 17deg rise or 35deg rise. Something like that will bring the bars up.