Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Police bicycles

Old 06-18-19, 12:52 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Hr1
I'd put Brunelle or any winner of the last (5) NYC, LA, London, Mexico City, Manilla, Lisbon, etc.,etc., alleycat winners against you or any other IPMBA instructor in a cat & mouse race anytime it could be arranged. The Alleycatter riding what he rode to win and the cop on his mtb w/ full gear in his uniform w/ full gear. > Jeez thats like putting a 900lb full dressed HD cruiser w/ saddlebags against a 220lb YZ/RM 250 in the same kinda race an actually being dumb enough to think the hog stands a snowball chance of winning. Wow the stupidity of that is truly mind boggling.

Great example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWsMLmzfixw

That damn sure ain't no mtb he's riding!
And those aren't police motorcycles in chase, either.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-18-19, 01:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
And those aren't police motorcycles in chase, either.
And that video isn't real, either.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-18-19, 01:55 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And that video isn't real, either.
You're right.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...uTube-hit.html

"An anonymous commentator revealed that the video came from www.specializedmovies.com, a marketing gimmick by Californian bicycle maker Specialized Bicycles."
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-18-19, 02:36 PM
Hr1
Banned.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yea....and there was no second shooter in a police uniform (JW Tippit) who delivered the fatal head on Mov 22, 1963.
Old 06-18-19, 02:49 PM
Hr1
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
deleted

Last edited by Hr1; 06-18-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 05:08 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Police didn't witness. Police were called after the fact. Needle in a haystack. Especially if there are no photos or video to go by and the rider hides his bike and changes clothes.
Old 06-18-19, 05:15 PM
Hr1
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl
Oh, Look. A picture of actual police and an actual police bike. They are packing pretty dense if there is 50 lbs of stuff in there...
^ I will say to actually be paid to ride a high end MTB around as a cop must be one helluva good gig. I envy them for sure.
Old 06-18-19, 05:16 PM
Hr1
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Thank you, serving was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me.

I'll start one and hopefully the other current and former bike cops will chime in. There are many stories, some are actually funny I need to dig up an account of one I wrote and sent to Bicycling Magazine in 1994 or so, it was titled "Pull Over Homer". I think I still have a copy the magazine but I'm mostly ignorant of what it takes to get something like that onto a forum.

In the beginning, the patrol was formed for street level drug trafficking enforcement. I was a USCF racer and everyone on the department knew it, so I was tapped for the job. We were given the edict to make some arrests and "prove our worth". Without any other parameters I was left to my own imagination, so we went to the thrift store and got white dress shirts, clip on ties, dress slacks and shoes. Once our helmets and glasses were on we looked just like a pair of Mormon missionaries and were free to ride in the area of the drug sales without much of a second glance. Once a deal was witnessed, we surreptitiously radioed for an arrest team and watched them swoop in That worked for a long time; thank goodness crooks are dumb

Can't wait to read ^ these true life stories!
Old 06-18-19, 05:17 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
is a bike better than a horse?
Ohhhooo Willlbuurrr. uhuhuhuhuh.
Old 06-18-19, 05:23 PM
Hr1
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not only does an e-bike increase capability, it can also save lives. An officer who has just completed a lengthy pursuit and then has to go hands on may not have the remaining stamina for grappling with a suspect. An e-bike can provide an officer with a fresher start for that hands on confrontation because it's less taxing, thus saving suspect lives because officers aren't down to their last option; deadly force. Any hand to hand confrontation with a police officer is an armed conflict, 20% of LEOs killed by firearms are killed with their own weapon. This is on the mind of any LEO who is engaged in a physical struggle during an arrest. It can also save the lives of civilians who are in need of rescue in places that are taxing to get to, ie high rise buildings, parking garages, woods, ravines or simply at the top of a long hill; an e-bike can provide a rapid response while still leaving the officer with the stamina required for the task at hand.

Something to keep in mind is that bicycles allow law enforcement officers (LEOs) to thread themselves into places where cruisers can't go. In many situations, the only hope of a rapid response is a bike cop and unfortunately, the only hope of timely back up is another bike cop.
^ Imagine the health & fitness increase if each LEA replaced motorcycles w/ MTBs. What does a murdercycle do that a MTB can't? Not much. I wonder how many cops have died on motorcycles vs. MTBs?
Old 06-18-19, 05:50 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Hr1
^ Imagine the health & fitness increase if each LEA replaced motorcycles w/ MTBs. What does a murdercycle do that a MTB can't? Not much. I wonder how many cops have died on motorcycles vs. MTBs?
Different machines for different tasks.

A police motorcycle isn't much wider than the handlebars of a mountain bike, but the motorcycle has an impressive power to weight ratio, impressive acceleration, can cruise 225 miles in three hours on the interstate, and can exceed 100 mph.

"Murdercycle." "Deaths on motorcycles versus MTBs." I'll just mark you down as a motorcycle hater.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-18-19, 06:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Hr1
Yea....and there was no second shooter in a police uniform (JW Tippit) who delivered the fatal head on Mov 22, 1963.
Wut**********
Oswald shot Officer J. D. Tippit to death. Are you slandering a police officer who died in the line of duty?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-18-19, 08:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
.... we went to the thrift store and got white dress shirts, clip on ties, dress slacks and shoes. Once our helmets and glasses were on we looked just like a pair of Mormon missionaries and were free to ride in the area of the drug sales without much of a second glance. Once a deal was witnessed, we surreptitiously radioed for an arrest team and watched them swoop in That worked for a long time; thank goodness crooks are dumb
That paragraph alone raised the level of this thread from the bottom of the cesspool to the top of a pool of cool, clear, potable water. Bravo!

Love the story. Love the mental images.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-18-19, 08:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

As for the rank nonsense and (probably ignorantly) offensive things a certain poster has been saying ... i will use my best judgment and ignore them. There is a lot of good stuff in this thread once one starts skipping past certain unbelievably idiotic posts.
Old 06-18-19, 09:02 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Different machines for different tasks.

A police motorcycle isn't much wider than the handlebars of a mountain bike, but the motorcycle has an impressive power to weight ratio, impressive acceleration, can cruise 225 miles in three hours on the interstate, and can exceed 100 mph.
Are police motorcycles just less common these days? I swear I saw them very regularly as a kid, but I've seen maybe two in as many years lately.
Old 06-18-19, 09:05 PM
Maelochs

I think police motorcycles are less useful because really, what can they do besides traffic stops which don't result in an arrest? I see a few, but for about the same money probably, a municipality can have a patrol cruiser which can transport arrestees, carry tons of gear, and most important, have an always-on computer, which is almost essential to modern police work.

What ar the advantages of a bike, except that maybe they can lane-split on highways to chase speeders?
Old 06-18-19, 11:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Are police motorcycles just less common these days? I swear I saw them very regularly as a kid, but I've seen maybe two in as many years lately.
The only times I see them regularly is parades and funeral processions.
Old 06-19-19, 04:16 AM
nomadmax 

This is a re-post of something that happened while I was on bike patrol. Our department was doing all of the training in our region; consequently, I knew most everyone who rode a bike on the job in the area. This was an account of helping some fellow bike cops:

There was one particular rail trail in our area that erstwhile TDF riders claimed for their own. They buzzed people (including families with little kids) at closing speeds that would have surely caused serious injury to anyone they hit and themselves. I had friends that were bike cops who were responsible for patrolling the trail and they were at their wits end trying to get a handle on it before someone got hurt badly. It was basically the same group of guys, every Saturday and Sunday around mid-morning, when the trail was used heavily by recreational cyclists and families.

I was road racing at the time and was pretty fit; the plan was for me to get out my old Schwinn Varsity, wear a pair cut off jean shorts, a sleeveless flannel shirt and some low top Chuck Taylor basketball shoes. The only concessions I made were a set of GL330 tubie wheels with Record hubs and Clement Criterium Setas, a straight block, all topped off with Schwinn Approved toe clips and straps. I rolled down the path at the appropriate time and sure enough here they came in a paceline with the front two or three riders barking for me to get out of the way despite being about six inches from the right edge of the pavement. My bike cop friends had been sending folks entering the path ahead in the other direction because of "tree trimming" or something like that so we had that section all to ourselves.

I let them get well past me and didn't ramp up until the last guy looked around and said something to the group; I presumed it was that they were clear of me. I got down in the drops and motored up to the line that was traveling at a pretty good clip. The last fellow never heard me and after I recovered a little I pulled around to his left and and nearly shouted in my best Gomer Pyle voice "WHACH YA'LL DOIN'? RACIN'? The last four or five guys nearly jumped out of their skin I proceeded to ask questions and make small talk while moving up the line until I got to the front. I chatted up the peloton bossman and asked if I could take a turn at the front, he obliged but only if I "held my line and didn't touch the brakes". I agreed and slipped in front of him; I flattened out my back and slowly ramped up the speed a little at a time while looking between my legs to see when he was losing contact with my wheel. Every time he did I slowed down just enough for him to make contact then I sped up ever so slightly until he lost contact again. I did that for a mile or so and then sat up on the tops of the bars and had a look around, the paceline was shattered so I slowed down and let them re-group; then we did it all over again The second time, one of the guys from the back rode to the front and was determined to get by me so I half wheeled him until he blew and then slowed down for another re-group.

After everyone was back together I thanked them for letting me ride along, said I was in a hurry to get back and couldn't wait for them anymore. I dropped the hammer and rode the last four or five miles to the trailhead in the next town where they always stopped for a break. I waited on a bench next to a caboose a friend of mine rented bikes out of (not one the bike cop friends) and in they came, in ones and twos. Several had "the cough" you get when you've pinged your absolute limit you haven't seen in a while. I had my bike parked just far enough away that it would pass a cursory visual inspection to be an ordinary 1974 Lime Green Schwinn Varsity. As they parked their bikes I chatted as if nothing was wrong and asked about their ride schedule as I thought I might like to "catch up and ride with them some more". I've never heard more vague mumbling in my life They were plenty pizzed and were walking away when I pulled out the coup de gras. I had put a pack of non filter Lucky Strike cigarettes in my shirt pocket, put one in my mouth and asked the crowd of riders if any of them had a light before they went in

As they went inside, I told them I was off on the weekends and would hang around for the chance to ride together again. My bike cop friends said they didn't return to that particular path the rest of the season. It may have been later that same year or the next, my partner and I were at work patrolling the Dayton bikeway (we were on the Dayton Police Bike Patrol) when we saw a couple of the guys from that group. They stopped and spoke to us for a few minutes and I could tell one them was clearly trying to figure out where he'd seen me before. We were in uniform and it threw him off just enough that he just couldn't place me. They rode off about 30 or 40 yards and stopped, the guy that recognized me (or thought he did) was talking to the other guy and they both looked back at us. I gave them the "are you OK" thumbs up and they returned it. Then, because I can never leave well enough alone, I called out to the both of them and asked if either had a light They shook their heads no, clipped in and rode off

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-19-19, 05:06 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I think police motorcycles are less useful because really, what can they do besides traffic stops which don't result in an arrest? I see a few, but for about the same money probably, a municipality can have a patrol cruiser which can transport arrestees, carry tons of gear, and most important, have an always-on computer, which is almost essential to modern police work.

What ar the advantages of a bike, except that maybe they can lane-split on highways to chase speeders?
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The only times I see them regularly is parades and funeral processions.
I was fortunate enough to be selected to work a variety of assignments during my 26 years. Motorcycle patrol does have it's place and in some cases, it's better than a cruiser. Like the bicycle, it's highly visible and provides a more personal connection to the surrounding public (to a greater extent than a cruiser). Many times, the motorcycle, like the bicycle, has been a catalyst for a conversation that at the very least gave a civilian the opportunity to have a positive experience with a cop and sometimes led to information that helped investigations.

Despite what some people think, a police motor is more maneuverable than a cruiser, even Harley Davidsons. Much like the bicycle, a motor can go places a cruiser can't and that's where criminals typically ply their trade if given a choice. We had, (and still have) parts of the city that are in "defensible space" areas, meaning whole neighborhoods are blocked off with brick and iron gates to vehicular traffic with only one or two ways in or out. A motor or bike officer can get to civilians in those areas faster than any other mode of patrol. As far as arrests and transport, motor officers have to call for a transport which isn't a big deal. Bike officers keep a parked cruiser in the area with rack; when an arrest is made, one officer goes to get the cruiser while a couple others wait with the suspect. On one occasion (on bike patrol) I was given a talking to for walking a handcuffed arrestee 5 or 6 blocks to jail who had been harassing women downtown. He never came back on my beat and my career was no worse for wear

Motors can also be used for traffic enforcement but typically not accident investigation as there's no safe place to put a civilian when writing the report (so they aren't hit by a car). Parades were another use and the only funerals we did was for our own who were KILOD. I did work one funeral for a local 1% motorcycle club, it was important to them to have a motorcycle escort in lieu of a car. That established a connection that paid dividends after that. They weren't snitches, but it did provide a level of safety for officers when we had to deal with them. It also helped cooler heads to prevail during a war between rival 1% clubs.

The other thing motors are useful for is dignitary protection details/motorcades. More maneuverable than a cruiser, they are just the ticket for quickly threading in and out of traffic to clear intersections because of size and power to weight ratio. To be sure, they are dangerous but our department has only lost one motor officer; that said, the risk is always there. Now days, I suspect it's even greater given cell phones/texting.

Motors are expensive to buy, upfit and maintain. The overall cost per mile outstrips a cruiser easily. Tires, brakes and other consumables wear at a greater rate and cost more because there's no economy of scale in parts manufacturing. Add in that they are seasonal use in may parts of the country and that can make a motor a hard sell to an administrator. The motor does have a greater geographical range than a bike and during times of low personnel it provides a way to be highly visible and not sacrifice response time or officer safety for back up. Motors have their place and I still ride them as well. Below is a pic from a lifetime ago with my son. He's now a steel worker approaching middle age and that hair I had is nearly all gone

Last edited by nomadmax; 06-19-19 at 05:18 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-19-19, 06:32 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Back in the day, I saw two of them weekly on CHiPs.

Currently, I see them mostly doing escort duty for oversize loads or funerals. I do see them setting up speed traps on occasion, too.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-19-19, 06:44 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Maelochs

Like nomadmax mentioned, a cruiser is brought up to haul someone off to jail.

Back in my misspent young adulthood, I was a bit of a maniac on my first motorcycle and piled up a few tickets.

One particular day while riding to work, I got pulled over by a single motorcycle cop for speeding. My RD400F wasn't about to outrun a Kawasaki 1000, so I didn't even try. So, I pull over and the motorcycle cop radios my info in and discovers I have a few unpaid tickets. He cuffs me and calls up a cruiser and tow truck.

The tow truck driver used rope to tie my RD to the lifting straps of the truck and hauled the RD away. The cruiser took me to the clink to spend the night so I could face the judge the next morning. That was 1985, I believe.
Old 06-19-19, 09:55 AM
nomadmax 

Like nomadmax mentioned, a cruiser is brought up to haul someone off to jail.

Back in my misspent young adulthood, I was a bit of a maniac on my first motorcycle and piled up a few tickets.

One particular day while riding to work, I got pulled over by a single motorcycle cop for speeding. My RD400F wasn't about to outrun a Kawasaki 1000, so I didn't even try. So, I pull over and the motorcycle cop radios my info in and discovers I have a few unpaid tickets. He cuffs me and calls up a cruiser and tow truck.

The tow truck driver used rope to tie my RD to the lifting straps of the truck and hauled the RD away. The cruiser took me to the clink to spend the night so I could face the judge the next morning. That was 1985, I believe.
A rope and the tow belt on an RD400? That was (in my book) "brutality"
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-19-19, 10:53 AM
Hr1
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There have been (2) motorcycle officer deaths where I live in the past year AND the idiots who killed them weren't charged w/ a damn thing! I think motorcycle LEO's are just a thing that time and technology is just passing by and bicycle patrols are replacing them in some areas of enforcement. As I said earlier once electric motorcycles essentially replace gas powered bikes the days of the motorcycle cop will be done.
Old 06-19-19, 12:10 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I've been working security for about 1 month now and prefer bike patrol over "standing guard" but don't like the bikes. They're heavy, clumsy at slow speeds and don't need front suspension. I realize a gravel bike with brifters may be a bit much for most guards because they're not cyclists and only ride at work. More nimble hybrids with 700x35 would suffice, in my opinion.
Old 06-19-19, 12:35 PM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by Eric S.
I've been working security for about 1 month now and prefer bike patrol over "standing guard" but don't like the bikes. They're heavy, clumsy at slow speeds and don't need front suspension. I realize a gravel bike with brifters may be a bit much for most guards because they're not cyclists and only ride at work. More nimble hybrids with 700x35 would suffice, in my opinion.
You know your beat better than anyone. If a hybrid or a gravel bike will get it done and not be beat to death, that's what I'd want to ride. I've spent some time TAD in Vegas. This is me and another officer from Dayton patrolling a casino on Fremont.

Likes For nomadmax:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.