Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted 2002 Jamis Eclipse

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 07:44 AM
Master_Beta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Below are the specs. Before you check them out you should know some background info. I have been hunting for a reynolds 853 bike for about two years so the desire is definitely there. I love steel and have some reynolds 531 touring bikes and fixed gear setups but what I really want is a 18 pound or lighter steel bike that can be my main ride. I don't want my emotion to cloud judgement so I turn to the bicycling community for their unbiased opinion. Currently the gentleman stands at 900 for the bike. I am going to offer 700 but would probably settle for 775. What number do you think is a fair offer for this bike. Owner states that bike is in very good shape and only has about 2000 miles on it even though it is 10 years old.

Bicycle Type Road race & triathlon
MSRP (new) $2,299.95
Weight 18.00
Sizes 47cm (26" wheel), 49cm, 51cm, 53cm, 55cm, 57cm, 59cm, 61cm
Colors Red/White
Item ID 36918

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction Brazed/welded
Frame Tubing Material Reynolds 853
Fork Brand & Model Reynolds Ouzo Pro
Fork Material Carbon fiber composite, unicrown crown
Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
Component Group Road Mix
Brakeset Shimano Ultegra Dual Pivot brakes, Shimano Ultegra STI Dual Control levers
Shift Levers Shimano Ultegra STI Dual Control
Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra, bottom-pull/clamp-on 28.6mm
Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra SS
Crankset Shimano Ultegra, 39/53 teeth
Pedals Not included
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-6500, 109.5mm spindle
BB Shell Width 68mm English
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 23 teeth
Chain Shimano CN-HG92, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost Thomson Elite, 27.2mm diameter
Saddle Selle Italia XO
Handlebar 3T Prima 199
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem 3T Zepp
Headset 1 1/8" threadless Cane Creek S-2

Wheels
Hubs Mavic Ksyrium SSC
Rims Mavic Ksyrium SSC, 18-hole/20-hole
Tires 700 x 23c Hutchinson Carbon Comp
Spoke Brand Mavic stainless steel, aero
Spoke Nipples Aluminum nipples
Attached Images
Old 05-30-12, 07:55 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The bike costs $3400 new (components are a little different, 10 spd gruppo). $900 is a good price esp. if this is a low mileage bike which you will be able to tell once you see it. What are you going to do if you mess up the deal because you low balled someone who put a very reasonable price on the bike? The seller might get mad and try to get more on ebay.
Old 05-30-12, 08:08 AM
Master_Beta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The bike costs $3400 new (components are a little different, 10 spd gruppo). $900 is a good price esp. if this is a low mileage bike which you will be able to tell once you see it. What are you going to do if you mess up the deal because you low balled someone who put a very reasonable price on the bike? The seller might get mad and try to get more on ebay.
I thought 900 would be good as well until I saw that it was a 10 year old bike with 10 year old 9 speed components. I think about the cost of 10 year old wheels and groupset and that made me think between 700 and 800. But please tell me am I low-balling him.
Old 05-30-12, 09:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
A lot depends on the condition of the bike. If it is pristine and low-mileage as the seller says it is, then who cares whether the parts are 10 years old. I'd replace all the cables, the tires if necessary, and overhaul any parts that are serviceable and ride the heck out of it. I'd take a look at the bike first and if it is low-mileage, I wouldn't low ball him at $700.

The question you have to ask yourself is this. You want a Reynolds 853 road bike. Where are you going to get a bike with that quality of frame and parts at that price?
Old 05-30-12, 01:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I have one of these and can say that it is a very nice riding bike. I also like 9 speed Ultegra. $900 seems like a lot until you compare it to what is available new. If it really is low mileage, might not be a bad deal. I would be surprised if it weighed only 18 lbs.
Old 05-30-12, 02:28 PM
Master_Beta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I would be surprised if it weighed only 18 lbs.
That is the listed weight minus pedals and water bottle cage. What do you think it weighs shelbyfv. Do you guys think it would be okay to offer 775 or 800.
Old 05-30-12, 02:43 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really know what you guys are referring to, when you mention mileage. That's the beautiful part about owning any type of a steel bike. Mileage doesn't matter with the frame, only with the components. Nobody could state this fact about aluminum. However, if the frame has no rust issues and no weld issues, it will be just as solid as the day it was first built.

$900 is a bargain for Reynolds 853 chromoly steel!

...If it fits, just smile and grab it!

www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/eclipse/12_eclipse.html
Old 05-30-12, 03:21 PM
Master_Beta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Slim rider I agree with what you are saying but age is a factor. First of all a ten year old steel frame without a treatment of frame saver may have rust issues that can't be seen. Secondly if the bike is priced at 900, 400 of that is for the frame and the other 500 is for everything else. At 10 years old I would like to believe its got only 2000 miles on it but how do I know. I've never spent this much money on a bike and last thing I want is to have to sink a couple hundred more into it because components start failing. I don't know maybe I'm over thinking this. I going to see it on Friday hopefully it will be pristine. Keep the opinions going guys I'm all ears.
Old 05-30-12, 03:33 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Master_Beta
Slim rider I agree with what you are saying but age is a factor. First of all a ten year old steel frame without a treatment of frame saver may have rust issues that can't be seen. Secondly if the bike is priced at 900, 400 of that is for the frame and the other 500 is for everything else. At 10 years old I would like to believe its got only 2000 miles on it but how do I know. I've never spent this much money on a bike and last thing I want is to have to sink a couple hundred more into it because components start failing. I don't know maybe I'm over thinking this. I going to see it on Friday hopefully it will be pristine. Keep the opinions going guys I'm all ears.
Where are you getting all this information? $400 for the frame?....$500 for the components?

How do you know that frame saver wasn't applied?

I currently own two chromoly steel bikes. My Giant Innova is almost twenty years old and my Nishiki Sebring is almost thirty years old. Neither has been treated with any frame saver, and neither has any rust issues.

If that bike really looks like the picture shown and it fits, I'd say you've got a great deal! The age and mileage won't matter at all!
Old 05-30-12, 03:52 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Ah Chromoly. Tis a magical substance, age, miles, 400 lbs riders, none of these has even the merest effect on its wondrous properties. I have heard it said that both Excaliber and the Ark of the Covenant were made from this amazing material. Give the seller twice, no three times to asking price, you will not regret it.

Seriously, often $700, if he is not flexible and it's in great condition pay more. People on CL negotiate all the time.
Old 05-30-12, 04:04 PM
Master_Beta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Slim your probably right and thanks for being a voice of reason. Like I said I'm probably over thinking it. If it looks as nice as the pic then I should probably jump on it. How I get the 400 for the frame is from two years of daily eBay, and Craig's list searching as well as a couple trips to bike swaps. The average good to great condition Reynolds 853 frame goes for between 300 at the very low end and 500 at the very high end.
Old 05-30-12, 04:05 PM
Master_Beta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh and I know frame saver wasn't applied because I asked
Old 05-30-12, 04:09 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Slim your probably right and thanks for being a voice of reason.
Now that's not something you hear every day.
Old 05-30-12, 04:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
There is no reason not to offer whatever you want to. Just be polite and have cash in hand. Look the bike over and if you are going to have to buy pedals, a new saddle, tires or cables, mention that those will eat into you budget. Having said that, if the bike really is low mileage and you can pay his price, it sounds like an ok deal. The low mileage is mostly important as relates to the shifters and wheels. Look at the shifters. Wear will usually be apparent on the hoods and levers. Look at the stem bolts, seatpost bolt and bottle cage bolts. Sweat can cause corrosion on those. None of those are big deals but will help you judge how the bike has been used. Spin the wheels to see if they are true and look for dents and cracks in the rims, buggered up spokes or nipples. I haven't a clue what my bike weighs and I have different wheels and fork. I do remember that when I stripped the frame down, it seemed very light without the fork.
Old 05-30-12, 04:38 PM
Master_Beta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks shelbyfv for the comments all good suggestions. I am going to plan on checking out the bike and offering between 700 and 800 based on condition and see where it goes from there.
Old 05-30-12, 07:01 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slim your probably right and thanks for being a voice of reason. Like I said I'm probably over thinking it. If it looks as nice as the pic then I should probably jump on it. How I get the 400 for the frame is from two years of daily eBay, and Craig's list searching as well as a couple trips to bike swaps. The average good to great condition Reynolds 853 frame goes for between 300 at the very low end and 500 at the very high end.
You sound as though you have experience with this type of thing. Well, if you have faith in your experience and bargaining skills, I'd say, use them!

Armed with this new information, I'd most probably would bring $1000, but offer $500. However, before I would offer anything, I would first thoroughly inspect it for any rust, weld issues, or attempts to conceal any damage. I would then take it on a test ride. Upon return, I'm most certain that I could find some imperfection the bike has in order to bargain down. If the $500 is rejected, I'd watch for body language. If they weren't too opposed to the $500, I'd slowly offer $600. If there's no competition or others interested in the bike, I'd act as though I may be losing interests. I'd bring the CL with me and have a few other bikes circled in the paper. If you see no pursuit and he still acts like he's not interested, offer $700 as your final offer. If he lets you walk out, quickly return in ten minutes and offer an extra $100, to bring it to $800. If he still doesn't respond positively, he's got skills. Just give him the whole $900!

Good Luck, My Friend!

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-30-12 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-30-12, 08:27 PM
Master_Beta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
You sound as though you have experience with this type of thing. Well, if you have faith in your experience and bargaining skills, I'd say, use them!

Armed with this new information, I'd most probably would bring $1000, but offer $500. However, before I would offer anything, I would first thoroughly inspect it for any rust, weld issues, or attempts to conceal any damage. I would then take it on a test ride. Upon return, I'm most certain that I could find some imperfection the bike has in order to bargain down. If the $500 is rejected, I'd watch for body language. If they weren't too opposed to the $500, I'd slowly offer $600. If there's no competition or others interested in the bike, I'd act as though I may be losing interests. I'd bring the CL with me and have a few other bikes circled in the paper. If you see no pursuit and he still acts like he's not interested, offer $700 as your final offer. If he lets you walk out, quickly return in ten minutes and offer an extra $100, to bring it to $800. If he still doesn't respond positively, he's got skills. Just give him the whole $900!

Good Luck, My Friend!
Slim thanks again for the advise. I do love a good haggle as that is how I have acquired all my bikes. My plan of attack is very similar to what you suggested but I don't think I have the balls to start at 500. After all I would like to get a good deal without ripping him off. You never know these days in this economy it may be a desperate sell for much needed cash. But like I said I do like your approach. I would be thrilled at 700, happy at 800, and would consider 900 market value. Thanks again.