Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why NOT a kickstand?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why NOT a kickstand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-17, 03:04 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Why NOT a kickstand?

I've heard things like "I haven't had a kickstand since 4th grade. And, kickstands aren't for real bikes." I get there's a "uncool" perception thing, but why is it uncool? Seems the majority of cyclist share this sentiment without valid reasoning. I've tried not using one and it's a real pain in the a... Trying to continuously find a leaning spot is an aggravation at best. Are most cyclist that don't have one, so used to it they're simply oblivious to the inconvenience? Is their experience of "leaning" a bike, an art form developed over time where it's no longer much of an inconvenience?

Do you use a kickstand? If not, what is your reasoning?

Last edited by one4smoke; 05-27-17 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-27-17, 03:14 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No, because there's always a wall
Old 05-27-17, 03:16 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wittyname
And a breeze to knock it over.
Old 05-27-17, 03:19 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I've heard things like "I haven't had a kickstand since 4th grade. And, kickstands aren't for real bikes." I get there's a "uncool" perception thing, but why is it uncool? Seems the majority of cyclist share this sentiment without valid reasoning. I've tried not using one and it's a real pain in the a... Trying to continuously find a leaning spot is an aggravation at best. Are most cyclist that don't have one, so used to it they're simply oblivious to the inconvenience? Is their experience of "leaning" a bike, an art form developed over time where it's no longer much of an inconvenience?

because i'm always going to lock my bike to something, so it's got to have something to lean against. if it doesn't; i'm not leaving it there! plus, kickstands make a godawful racket over rough terrain.
Old 05-27-17, 03:26 PM
hagak

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
For the most part a kickstand is unneeded. There is almost always something you can prop your bike with that is just as stable if not more stable than a kickstand. A kickstand adds weight and more importantly noise. It can deploy or get in the way when not wanted which can be very dangerous depending on the biking you are doing. And lastly on many bikes they are less than aesthetically pleasing.
Old 05-27-17, 03:28 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

My experience has been, there's almost always nothing to lean it against without having to move a number of feet that otherwise you wouldn't have had to.

Hence the pain in the a...
Old 05-27-17, 03:30 PM
itaa

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The joys of having a cheap bike= you don't need to watch over it like hawk and use kickstands
Old 05-27-17, 03:32 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
because i'm always going to lock my bike to something, so it's got to have something to lean against. if it doesn't; i'm not leaving it there! plus, kickstands make a godawful racket over rough terrain.
So, why not this then? https://upstandingbicycle.com/ It's very light, doesn't rattle and there if for some reason there isn't a wall and you need to get off your bike...
Old 05-27-17, 03:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
There are two valid arguments against kickstands.

1- they're inherently unstable, and bikes are prone to falling over. This is especially an issue with derailleur bikes, which are most likely to fall onto their right sides, possibly bending the derailleur and/or the hanger.

2- the common kickstand mounting systems are prone to crushing the chainstays on lightweight frames of better road and hybrids. This doesn't have to be, but experienced shop mechanics will confirm that it's all too common.

Other reasons include things like needing to put the bike against something anyway in order to lock it, added weight, that they get loose and become an annoyance, and of course that they're "uncool".

So, those are the reasons not using one, and can be weighed against whatever anyone's reasons are for using one, and a decision made, which is nobody's business but the owner.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-27-17, 03:34 PM
one4smoke

For those that don't use one, how frequent are scratches, tears, dents and dings from having to constantly lean your bike on various things?
Old 05-27-17, 03:35 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
There is?

See: https://www.click-stand.com/

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 05-27-17 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-27-17, 03:42 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
There is?

See: Click-Stand Home Page
I see trees to use. I would use them, or just lay on the left side. KB
Old 05-27-17, 03:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Because it adds too much weight.

Because it will damage the carbon frame.
Old 05-27-17, 03:47 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
I see trees to use. I would use them, or just lay on the left side. KB
LOL...and you'd probably be one itchy cyclist. Hence the phrase, "leaves of 3 let it be".
Old 05-27-17, 03:49 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Carbon fiber...
Old 05-27-17, 03:52 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
LOL...and you'd probably be one itchy cyclist. Hence the phrase, "leaves of 3 let it be".
Yes, that is something to consider. KB
Old 05-27-17, 03:54 PM
ste6168

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a novice rider, but I use my kickstand often. I just got a beach cruiser, so I have no real clue what I am talking about.
Old 05-27-17, 03:57 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
If you want a kickstand get one, if you don't want a kickstand don't get one. You are an adult capable of making decisions. Why is there a need for validation of your life choices? Oh wait, because bike forum!
Old 05-27-17, 04:10 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Here's a picture from today, a fairly typical shopping trip to pick up a new bench vise at Harbor Fright. At this little shopping area, there's no wall, no posts, I'm not sure the shop owner would want me to lean my bike against the glass, and since I can only lock the bike to itself, I want it to be in sight while I'm in the store. The bike stayed standing for the duration of my shopping experience, and is now shown with the vice in the side basket, ready for the trip home.

At the stores where I usually shop, rather than bike racks, they have rows of freestanding posts. I park my bike with the kickstand down, and run my cable lock to the post. Most of the other bikes -- much more fancy -- are sprawled this way and that, many with noticeably scratched up frames from getting knocked around while leaning against posts.

There are cyclists on BikeForums who would never leave their bikes unattended, or allow them to get wet or cold, or whose bikes are too delicate to accommodate attachments, or that could get damaged if not kept indoors on cushions. Those all seem like first world problems to me. [/sarcasm]

But really, it's a case where you can probably be trusted to make your own choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vice.jpg (64.0 KB, 462 views)
Old 05-27-17, 04:13 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Yes...no...it depends.

I'm sure I'm not the only BF member who has bikes with kickstands and bikes without kickstands. My two commuter/utility bikes get kickstands for all the kickstand reasons. But for me, the biggest benefit to having a kickstand is when I stop to change clothing layers and have to either put something in my bag/pannier or take something out.

But then again, when I commute on my old road bike sans kickstand I either lean it up against a curb, flip it over or lay it down.

There are so many different types of biking that this should be a ridiculous question...EXCEPT, I find it interesting to think about why we do what we do. And to find out what others do. Because since joining bikeforums I have discovered practices and strategies that would not have entered my mind on their own and have enriched and improved my riding in ways I couldn't have imagined.

If this question were posited in the commuting, touring or utility forum the answers would probably skew towards using kickstands. In road cycling, single-track, or any competitive forum, very few would use kickstands.

But keep asking those questions and sharing those practices. And I will stop to consider them. And when I stop I'll use my kickstand, unless I'm on the bike that doesn't have one.

All I ask is that everyone ride safely, have fun and be blessed with good enough health to do both.
Old 05-27-17, 04:21 PM
one4smoke

Edit to say... see above post. ^

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
If you want a kickstand get one, if you don't want a kickstand don't get one. You are an adult capable of making decisions. Why is there a need for validation of your life choices? Oh wait, because bike forum!
You're waaaaaaaaay overthinking the post...

Last edited by one4smoke; 05-27-17 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-27-17, 04:27 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Yes...no...it depends.

I'm sure I'm not the only BF member who has bikes with kickstands and bikes without kickstands. My two commuter/utility bikes get kickstands for all the kickstand reasons. But for me, the biggest benefit to having a kickstand is when I stop to change clothing layers and have to either put something in my bag/pannier or take something out.

But then again, when I commute on my old road bike sans kickstand I either lean it up against a curb, flip it over or lay it down.

There are so many different types of biking that this should be a ridiculous question...EXCEPT, I find it interesting to think about why we do what we do. And to find out what others do. Because since joining bikeforums I have discovered practices and strategies that would not have entered my mind on their own and have enriched and improved my riding in ways I couldn't have imagined.

If this question were posited in the commuting, touring or utility forum the answers would probably skew towards using kickstands. In road cycling, single-track, or any competitive forum, very few would use kickstands.

But keep asking those questions and sharing those practices. And I will stop to consider them. And when I stop I'll use my kickstand, unless I'm on the bike that doesn't have one.

All I ask is that everyone ride safely, have fun and be blessed with good enough health to do both.
Old 05-27-17, 04:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts

You're waaaaaaaaay overthinking the post.
Actually, he's not. You asked a question, then argued against those who answered in the negative (why not to use one). So I assume you want to make a case for kickstands , which is fine.

But then, why ask in the first place?

There are reasons to use them, and reasons not to, and the balance depends on the specifics, so there's no reason to argue. Use one, or don't, and move on.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-27-17, 05:10 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Actually, he's not. You asked a question, then argued against those who answered in the negative (why not to use one). So I assume you want to make a case for kickstands , which is fine.

But then, why ask in the first place?

There are reasons to use them, and reasons not to, and the balance depends on the specifics, so there's no reason to argue. Use one, or don't, and move on.
What?? LOL Where did I argue against anyone?

The sarcastic fella saying "If you want a kickstand get one, if you don't want a kickstand don't get one. You are an adult capable of making decisions. Why is there a need for validation of your life choices? Oh wait, because bike forum!" ...has nothing to do with info regarding a kickstand, either for or against, or why they are considered uncool by most.

And as the other guy said, we ask to to find out what others do to discover practices and strategies that we would not have thought of. It's informative and interesting to see how others perceive things. Once I feel I have heard and learned enough on a topic, pros and cons, THEN I will decide which way suits me best.
Old 05-27-17, 05:16 PM
one4smoke

There is?

See: Click-Stand Home Page
I can relate more to this scenery (on most rides), than buildings with walls to lean on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.