Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do I need a Pump peg?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do I need a Pump peg?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 12:55 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Silca Impero does not need a peg, Park PMP5 does not need a peg, and I don't know if Zefal make the HPx anymore, but their last model did not need a peg, either.

PMP5 is cool because it adjusts length to fit a wide range.
I realize that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out how to mount a pump on my new-to-me 60cm Lemond Zurich. I'm a dinosaur, and was used to the old Silca Impero with the little stamped-steel Campagnolo frame-mounted cap that held the pump in place.

As I understand it, you either get an adjustable pump (Park PMP-5) or you buy a sized to order frame (such as a Zefal HPX, or a new Silca Impero).

I'm leaning towards the HPX. Any votes for the (MUCH more expensive) Silca?

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 08-12-18 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 01:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I realize that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out how to mount a pump on my new-to-me 60cm Lemond Zurich. The pumps are made small enough to fit many small frames. How do you adjust the pump so that it will expand to length and be held in place with a big frame? Is the Park PMP5 the only pump that will work with all frames, or do I have to spend a wad on a correctly-sized Silca Impero. Other options?
Thanks!
Typically frame-fits are sized, and will spring compress within a range, say for example, a size L might fit a tube span of 570mm - 585mm or something like that.

I don't know which frame-fits are currently available, but I think the Park may have been disco'd.

There have, in the past, existed accessory pump pegs, a strap-on doohickey to hold one end of the pump in situations where no peg is fitted or the span is too long for the pump.

Ah, it looks like the ol' reliable Zefal HpX is still available, here in a couple of sizes in stock:
Zefal HPX Classic Alu Pump | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 08-12-18, 04:52 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I realize that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out how to mount a pump on my new-to-me 60cm Lemond Zurich. I'm a dinosaur, and was used to the old Silca Impero with the little stamped-steel Campagnolo frame-mounted cap that held the pump in place.

As I understand it, you either get an adjustable pump (Park PMP-5) or you buy a sized to order frame (such as a Zefal HPX, or a new Silca Impero).

I'm leaning towards the HPX. Any votes for the (MUCH more expensive) Silca?
I have one, and love it. The spring keeps it nice and secure, and it's super easy to use. I'm sure the Zefal is nice, too, but I figured, as a one-time expense, I'd go with something super nice. No regrets

Old 08-12-18, 07:57 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Thanks, fellas.

Nice looking ride, Wittyname. How do you like the Chilkoot vs the Domane?