Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Spokes Breaking Rear 700c Giant Commuter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 12:26 AM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all, this is a question about my brothers bike - a 5yo 8sp Giant Commuter with 36h 700c wheels laced over two and under one.

Recently he started breaking spokes on the rear wheel.
The LBS replaced the rear with DT DB.
Problem is he's having the same issue after the fix.

The bike is ridden 60-80km per week approx and he weighs 85kg.
He has been riding for over 40years and not particularly hard on his bikes watching out for potholes etc within reason.

The spokes are breaking at the hub (LF alloy).
Couldn't tell you if the alloy rims are box section or not or eyeleted.

The LBS's plan is to rebuild the wheel with shorter spokes laced over one and under one or with shorter spokes again in a radial pattern.

My thoughts would be:
• Lace the wheel over three and under one to allow more flex before shearing.
• Use straight / thicker gauge spokes as these would have slightly more strength.
But I'm no expert.

Any suggestions or advice welcome thanks.
Old 06-04-16, 01:37 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Radial, 2 cross and straight gage spokes all make a stiffer and more brittle wheel. Butted spokes distribute loads more evenly. Radial lacing on the wrong hub can break the flange of the hub, especially if it is not forged. It is hard to beat standard 3 cross lacing with double butted spokes.

Three possibilities. One is the holes in the BMX style hub are a bit crude, or the flange too thin, and may be stressing the spoke heads. Another is if the spokes are not properly stress relieved. Third is if the spokes are not tight enough. I would be tempted to upgrade the hub.
Old 06-04-16, 05:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Look at it this way:

36 spokes cross 3 should yield a relatively stout conventional wheel. There are lots and lots of those around that don't have a spoke breaking problem.

A bicycle wheel only has 4 components: hub, spokes, rim and build quality. My bet is the build quality isn't up to snuff. If that's the case, having the same guy do something goofy to the wheel isn't going to solve the problem.
Old 06-05-16, 04:25 AM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting thoughts about the hub flange and build quality. Will leave the LBS to their own devices as they are doing it under warranty but sounds like they possibly don't know what they're doing. I have an old 8 sp mavic rimmed wheel that should fit as a test mule.
Old 06-05-16, 07:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A wheel with all the spokes at matched tension acts like a Whole,
spokes that are let be loose are worked in compression/tension cycles, as individuals
and metal fatigue from that, is what typically breaks spokes..
Old 06-05-16, 09:35 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
If the shop is suggesting building the wheel entirely radially, that's not smart from a durability standpoint. It works okay for very small (16" or less) wheels.

If, however, they are suggesting half-radial (the left side radial, right side crossed), that often results in a stronger wheel, with more even bracing angles.

It is unclear from your post exactly what the shop is suggesting... But at any rate, traditionally built wheels are fine, for the most part, and unless they're building you a wheel for free, there's no way that it'll be cheaper than a machine built new one. Even(ish) spoke tension and close bracing angles are going to do way more than changing the spoking pattern.

Regardless of whether the wheel is being built by them, a distributor, or a distributor's machine, the wheel should be evaluated for even tension before leaving...
Old 06-06-16, 05:31 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
If the shop is suggesting building the wheel entirely radially, that's not smart from a durability standpoint. It works okay for very small (16" or less) wheels.

If, however, they are suggesting half-radial (the left side radial, right side crossed), that often results in a stronger wheel, with more even bracing angles.

It is unclear from your post exactly what the shop is suggesting... But at any rate, traditionally built wheels are fine, for the most part, and unless they're building you a wheel for free, there's no way that it'll be cheaper than a machine built new one. Even(ish) spoke tension and close bracing angles are going to do way more than changing the spoking pattern.

Regardless of whether the wheel is being built by them, a distributor, or a distributor's machine, the wheel should be evaluated for even tension before leaving...
Thanks for your advice, will assess the wheel after the build and periodically check his spoke tension. I think the radial or (1/2 radial build) is their 2nd option if the 2 cross doesn't yield a result.