Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2018 Roubaix Comp or 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 Disc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 10:25 PM
dbent1856

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just joined the forum to get advice from those who know, I have been riding a Specialized Sirrus Sport for a while and I am ready to step up to an endurance bike. I am 46, almost 5 foot 10 about 190 lbs and have been biking mostly on trails and neighborhood streets for health reasons. I had a stint put in my heart last year and cycling has been my way to stay active. I am considering an endurance bike because I thought the hybrid is what I am used to so I thought the geometry would be less of a shock. And I wanted a more comfortable ride. I will not be racing, but want to go fast and have easier small hills in the road and trail climbs.
So, all that being said, I thought I was set on the 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp....but then I read all the reviews of creaky and clanky future shocks. The last thing I need is to spend $3000 on a bike and then have issues....but wow it rides awesome. So....then I tested the 2018 Trek Domane SL5, but wanted to consider the SL6 Disc since it had the components I wanted....but then I read how the bottom brackets creak and have to be replaced often. Have improvements been made in 2018 on these bikes? Most reviews I read are older. Do you all have any opinions about the performance of either of these bikes or a recommendation? Keep in mind, I want comfort but want faster than my hybrid and lighter seems better for climbing hills if needed.
Old 05-02-18, 11:00 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I am 48, and got to test ride for a few days a Specialized Diverge. It is part of their loaner fleet and so sees some abuse. No issues with the FT or BB creak. Hey, I took the thing places I might have not gone if it was MY bike! =)

Also equipped with the Future Shock, but able to take big tires and more slack than the Roubaix.

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...erge-comp.html

TL;DR version: Brilliant bike, lower BB was a deal killer for me even though I liked how it made the bike handle. No problems at all buzzing along in a 21mph pack.

The other bikes that you are looking at have no hard points for racks and fenders, which I wanted on my N+1 bike. I did try the Roubaix, loved it as well, but did not do a long ride on it.

For me at least, as a Clyde, it was no more or less comfy than my custom steel frame with a carbon handlebar on it. It did cut some of the buzz without making the bike mushy.

I am going to stick with the MCD from MCD Frame Tech - Black Mountain Cycles

He also has the Road+: Road+ Frames - Black Mountain Cycles

But the MCD will take 650B, 700C, 27.5 and 29" wheel sets. Remarkable amount of ride tuning available there and Mike Varney is the guy to help you decide what you want.

Oh, and about $2200 to $2500.

Last edited by rgconner; 05-02-18 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 11:18 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have a SL6 and had zero issues with the BB. As I am sure the same applies to most people and the Roubaix future shock.
The internet can easily blow these sort of "problems" out of all proportion.
Get the one you like the most.
And if you really want to make sure you get a 100% silent bike stick with external cables, rim brakes, and no additional gizmos.
Old 05-02-18, 11:23 PM
Dean V

+ threaded BB.
Old 05-03-18, 04:40 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Domane SL6 Disc is an absolutely gorgeous spec. I have the SLR Disc and my riding buddy just got the SL6 Disc. For the money, I would go SL6 disc. A truly incredible package for the money and just sublime comfort on 28C or 32C tires.

I have two domanes with tens of thousands of miles on each and have not had a single creak from a BB.
Old 05-04-18, 04:59 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I really like my 2018 Roubaix Comp. 1000+ miles without any issues, but it is still a bit early to proclaim the future shock as a non issue. I too moved up from a Sirrus once my rides starting going past the 3 hour mark.

Couple things bugged me, the 105 cassette and brake rotors, and the aesthetics of the Praxis cranks so I swapped them out. I didn't like the purple flaked frame and went with the black. Shortly after I bought it they came out with the gold Sagan version. I would have at least considered that color but probably just went with basic black anyway.

The Domane SL6 is a nice and well spec'd bike for sure. It also has a complete Ultegra groupset so no need for any OCD driven upgrades like me. But it all comes down to how you like it. I doubt either bike will give you any problems. My next bike just may be a Domane SL5 gravel bike since I liked the SL6 so much.
Old 05-05-18, 08:46 AM
dbent1856

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I sometimes get too wrapped up in over analyzing my purchases online. It is good to hear sanity. I will go on some more test rides soon and will report back.
Old 05-05-18, 11:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
My next bike just may be a Domane SL5 gravel bike since I liked the SL6 so much.
I have one and enjoy it quite a bit, but I don't think that they're planning on continuing the Domane in the Grvl trim, now that they have the Checkpoint. It's a shame, really - IMO, the SL5 Grvl is one of the better values out there in terms of spec.
Old 05-05-18, 01:46 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I have one and enjoy it quite a bit, but I don't think that they're planning on continuing the Domane in the Grvl trim, now that they have the Checkpoint. It's a shame, really - IMO, the SL5 Grvl is one of the better values out there in terms of spec.
I saw the checkpoint at Sea Otter a few weeks ago. Looks very nice, but comes with a $300 price increase over the domane for similar specs. I wanted to wait for the new 7000 series 105 components before buying but may need to buy one before they are all gone.
Old 05-05-18, 02:25 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Both are great bikes. Ride both if you can, buy the one that speaks to you. My Domane SL5 Gravel has been doing a great job as a commuter since I got it last November, and as WhyFi said a couple posts up, is great value-for-money (at least in the cycling world) if you can find any and can live with the color scheme
Old 05-05-18, 06:37 PM
Dean V

What is the difference between the SL5 Gravel and a normal SL5 Domane?
Old 05-05-18, 07:27 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
SL5 Gravel comes with 35m Schwalbe G-One Allround gravel tires, RS685 shifters (Old Ultegra level), and R805 brakes, and a matte green-gray paintjob. Retail is $2500
SL5 Disc comes with 32m Bontrager R1 road tires, RS505 shifters and brakes (Old 105 level), and is shiny grey. It costs $2600
The frames are identical, so you're getting higher end shifters/brakes, gravel tires, and saving $100
Old 05-06-18, 03:45 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I personally would go off the reservation and order an Emonda SL6...500 series frameset with 8000 Ultegra with H2 geometry. No Roubaix Future Shock pogo stick BS in front, No Domane head tube pivot to wear out...and don't have to suffer with disc brakes unless you live in hilly country and feel a need for them...I don't.

The Emonda will be a lighter and faster bike and you can run 28c tires at lower pressure and if you want to upgrade from there, get some slippery and light carbon wheels.

In spite of single bolt saddle rail clamp and questionable BB90 with carbon versus alloy bearing bearings with lower wear resistance, the Emonda as an all arounder is probably the best carbon bike on the market...if you don't want a bike with a short head tube.
Old 05-06-18, 12:41 PM
Dean V

Originally Posted by Campag4life
I personally would go off the reservation and order an Emonda SL6...500 series frameset with 8000 Ultegra with H2 geometry. No Roubaix Future Shock pogo stick BS in front, No Domane head tube pivot to wear out...and don't have to suffer with disc brakes unless you live in hilly country and feel a need for them...I don't.

The Emonda will be a lighter and faster bike and you can run 28c tires at lower pressure and if you want to upgrade from there, get some slippery and light carbon wheels.

In spite of single bolt saddle rail clamp and questionable BB90 with carbon versus alloy bearing bearings with lower wear resistance, the Emonda as an all arounder is probably the best carbon bike on the market...if you don't want a bike with a short head tube.
What experience do yo have with all these "problems" the Domane and Roubaix have?
Old 05-06-18, 05:04 PM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
What experience do yo have with all these "problems" the Domane and Roubaix have?
He has none.
Old 05-07-18, 09:53 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dbent1856
I just joined the forum to get advice from those who know, I have been riding a Specialized Sirrus Sport for a while and I am ready to step up to an endurance bike. I am 46, almost 5 foot 10 about 190 lbs and have been biking mostly on trails and neighborhood streets for health reasons. I had a stint put in my heart last year and cycling has been my way to stay active. I am considering an endurance bike because I thought the hybrid is what I am used to so I thought the geometry would be less of a shock. And I wanted a more comfortable ride. I will not be racing, but want to go fast and have easier small hills in the road and trail climbs.
So, all that being said, I thought I was set on the 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp....but then I read all the reviews of creaky and clanky future shocks. The last thing I need is to spend $3000 on a bike and then have issues....but wow it rides awesome. So....then I tested the 2018 Trek Domane SL5, but wanted to consider the SL6 Disc since it had the components I wanted....but then I read how the bottom brackets creak and have to be replaced often. Have improvements been made in 2018 on these bikes? Most reviews I read are older. Do you all have any opinions about the performance of either of these bikes or a recommendation? Keep in mind, I want comfort but want faster than my hybrid and lighter seems better for climbing hills if needed.
No idea on the specifics of the Trek bikes, but a Domane geometry would suit you well I believe for endurance, more relaxed geometry. The bottom bracket is a replaceable part not specific to any one bike brand, so not sure how this would be a specific problem to the Trek bikes. Unless their frames have a design flaw where the bottom bracket sits, but I doubt it, being such a big name brand with so much expertise. In any case, if the frame had a defect that should be covered under warranty.

Have heard mixed things about the Future shock thing, but honestly, you don't need that I think, unless really riding cobbles. Just go for a regular road bike and put wider tires on it if you want more comfort over rougher roads.

It might be worth checking out some other brands' endurance bikes as well, and see how they compare? Perhaps test ride a few?
Old 05-15-18, 12:31 PM
hanknstein
Cranky

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Definatly test ride. I just ordered the Roubaix Comp after testing the bikes mentioned above and many others. On paper some might seem better than others, but I clearly like certain bikes more than others after testing them.