Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain skipping problem I can't diagnose.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 04:25 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

The chain on my old S-10-S skips and I can't figure out why. I rebuilt the bike myself and have done some work to fix the problem. First, a new freewheel thinking that the skipping came from a worn out old one. That was accompanied by a new chain as the old one was fairly close to worn out.

Result: Skip skip skip.

Checked rear drop outs and wheel alignment. No problem with the drop outs, but the wheel was not as "true" as it could have been when tightened down, fixed that.

Result: Skip Skip Skip.

As the bike is friction shift, all I can think is that the LBS may have pulled a chain for a bike with more than a 6 speed freewheel, leaving me tolerances that are too close. I plan to check out that possibility with the LBS on Monday.

Any other ideas? I really want to beat this as the bike is a sweet ride otherwise.
Old 12-26-09, 04:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearonabike
The chain on my old S-10-S skips and I can't figure out why....
Saying old S-10s is kind of redundant. (For the youngsters out there this is a 10 speed as in 2x5)
nice to see someone still riding one.

Anyway, since you've replaced both the chain and freewheel, I think we can rule out chain stretch.

Please try to analyze the skipping and give us more specific info.

skipping as in climbing out of and disengaging the cog under load?
skipping as in doesn't settle, in or disengages the freewheel sprocket regardless of load
skipping as in changes gear on it's own?
are you sure it's skipping of the rear sprocket and not possibly doing so off worn chainrings?
is the skip of a specific frequency, and possibly caused by a stiff or damaged link?

With a bit more info, I'm sure I or someone else can help you pinpoint and fix the problem.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-26-09, 04:54 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doesn't mean that it is the correct size chain. Also just your derailleur. RD could be slightly off kilter or have a broke tooth.
Old 12-26-09, 04:54 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
skipping as in doesn't settle, in or disengages the freewheel sprocket regardless of load

The LBS and I both agree that the chain rings are in very good condition, that possibility has been ruled out. I can't find any "regularity" to the pattern but it seems to happen more in higher gears than lower and more on the inner chain ring than the outer.
Old 12-26-09, 04:56 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
RD has no broken teeth and is in fine shape. I replaced the worn parts with Suntour NOS chromed steel at the refurb. What do you mean by "off kilter" with respect to the RD?
Old 12-26-09, 04:58 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The hanger, if there is one for the RD. If it is not properly verticle it could be pulling incorrectly and snapping back. Also look into possibility of shifters disengaging under pressure.
Old 12-26-09, 04:59 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
The hanger, if there is one for the RD. If it is not properly verticle it could be pulling incorrectly and snapping back. Also look into possibility of shifters disengaging under pressure.
Okay, 2 things to check for sure, thanks.
Old 12-26-09, 05:08 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck. I am assuming you have lever shifters (friction) or are they index shifters. If old style (friction) check to see if the tensioning screw/spring part is tightened but not TOO tight.
Old 12-26-09, 05:42 PM
MikeWinVA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Univega Activa ST Hybrid, 70's Schwinn Traveler, Giant Innova, Nishiki Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it a possiblity that the bike is ghost shifting? If the cables are routed under the BB, lube the area with some dry slide lube or graphite.

If you are "getting on it" and are big and strong enough, you could be flexing/twisting the frame and causing this.
Old 12-26-09, 05:46 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWinVA
Is it a possiblity that the bike is ghost shifting? If the cables are routed under the BB, lube the area with some dry slide lube or graphite.

If you are "getting on it" and are big and strong enough, you could be flexing/twisting the frame and causing this.

While I am a Clydesdale, I have been making an effort not to "get on it". I will lube the area under the BB
Old 12-26-09, 05:47 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
Good luck. I am assuming you have lever shifters (friction) or are they index shifters. If old style (friction) check to see if the tensioning screw/spring part is tightened but not TOO tight.
Already checked that, but thanks.
Old 12-26-09, 07:04 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Check for

1) stiff link
2) Twisted link

Backpedal and carefully watch the rear derailleur for a "jump". Look *carefully* for a twisted link. Since it's a new chain it's not unlikely that someone created a stiff link when joining it.
Old 12-26-09, 07:07 PM
operator
cab horn

The LBS and I both agree that the chain rings are in very good condition, that possibility has been ruled out. I can't find any "regularity" to the pattern but it seems to happen more in higher gears than lower and more on the inner chain ring than the outer.
You can't rule that possibility out by visual inspection. Define "higher" gears. Bigger rear cogs? Smaller? Is the chain the correct length?
Old 12-26-09, 07:07 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Assuming they measured it properly ^^^.
Old 12-26-09, 09:19 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
If it isn't a stiff link, I can only imagine it being a question of derailleur alignment, whether the hanger's bent, or the derailleur's simply worn and sloppy, or something.

The Clydesdale-induced ghost shifting is an interesting possibility, but I think it's safe to rule out on a five speed cluster.

I'd say check the straightness of the hanger (on steel frames you can carefully bend it straight with a large shifter, with a rag for the paint), and try another derailleur.
Old 12-28-09, 01:35 PM
DArthurBrown
Chasing the horizon.

Bikes: 2016 Felt F75, 2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2006 Trek 4300, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 12 speed friction shift road bike. We never really figured out what was causing the problem but managed to stop the skipping. (I actually faceplanted while trying to diagnose the skip.)

A visual inspection can't rule out the chainrings, but in my experience, a skip on a chainring is pretty obvious, and the chain usually flies off because the RD can't take up the slack fast enough.

Since you've checked the chain, freewheel, and chainrings, look at the rear derailleur and alignment of wheel, cogs, and the chainline of the crank. If you use a new chain, new freewheel, the chainline is proper, and the wheel and rear axle are straight and true, the problem must be in the rear derailleur. My theory is that your vintage rear derailleur doesn't wrap far enough around the freewheel to secure the chain. That was my issue. That, combined with the modern, ramped teeth allows for the chain to slip under load. I solved my problem by installing a cheap Shimano Tourney rear derailleur which was actually far superior to the vintage Campy derailleur on the bike.
Old 12-28-09, 02:08 PM
griftereck

Bikes: Grifter BSA 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had suntour vx rear mechs on my Carlton and bob jackson bikes. they were old and worn on the pivot pins. so could jump out of gear sometimes. I changed the gear mechs to get away from the fear of crashing or getting hit by a car, when the gears jump.

Any mech I see I grab it by the jockey cage and the end of the body. If I can twist it and it feels gritty. Im not keen on it. Mechs can twist a little bit even when new. But a lot means it'll ghost shift
Old 12-28-09, 04:59 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks to everyone. I hope to have a day or two to work on my bikes real soon. I have this problem to solve, then I have 3 to do a complete clean and re-lube, one to change out seat, adjust FD, and raise the stem, and 2 (Suteki and Franken-MTB) to rebuild to sell. ONLY THEN can I get to the rebuild of 2 for my wife and I to keep. We're doing a frame-up with matching paint schemes.
Old 12-28-09, 05:46 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could have done at least half of that stuff in the time that it takes to type up all these messages. GL
Old 12-28-09, 06:31 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
You mentioned about perhaps having the wrong chain and I don't see where anyone followed up on that. A proper fitting chain should have a little bit of side play when it's on the teeth of the cogs or front rings. Not much though. About as much play side to side where the teeth fit up into the spaces as a business card or a hair less. Certainly if there is no play at all then any grit or misalignment at all and the chain may not sit down into the gullets of the cogs and rings correctly.
Old 12-28-09, 06:38 PM
operator
cab horn

How the hell is it possible to have the wrong chain on a 5 speed FW? All chains will work on that. If it's 1/8 teeth won't even engage. The I.D fo 6/7/8/9/10 speed chains are still 3/32.
Old 12-28-09, 10:08 PM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to everyone. I hope to have a day or two to work on my bikes real soon. I have this problem to solve, then I have 3 to do a complete clean and re-lube, one to change out seat, adjust FD, and raise the stem, and 2 (Suteki and Franken-MTB) to rebuild to sell. ONLY THEN can I get to the rebuild of 2 for my wife and I to keep. We're doing a frame-up with matching paint schemes.
Get ahold of another rear derailleur you can install, just to eliminate or positively identify the old unit as the culprit. Could you use a rear derailleur from any of the other three bikes?
Old 12-29-09, 01:20 PM
DArthurBrown
Chasing the horizon.

Bikes: 2016 Felt F75, 2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2006 Trek 4300, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
How the hell is it possible to have the wrong chain on a 5 speed FW? All chains will work on that. If it's 1/8 teeth won't even engage. The I.D fo 6/7/8/9/10 speed chains are still 3/32.
That's right. Having too wide of a chain can lead to slipping, since the wider chain can catch on the teeth and jump, but having too narrow of a chain could only lead to poor shifting (I've run narrow chains on 5-speeds without issue many times). There's no plausible way to have too wide a chain on a 5-speed.
Old 12-29-09, 05:57 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DArthurBrown
That's right. Having too wide of a chain can lead to slipping, since the wider chain can catch on the teeth and jump, but having too narrow of a chain could only lead to poor shifting (I've run narrow chains on 5-speeds without issue many times). There's no plausible way to have too wide a chain on a 5-speed.
I'm thinking too narrow a chain. Given the post above about the tolerance I am looking for, the chain is correctly sized for a 5 speed friction freewheel.
Old 12-29-09, 06:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
I'm thinking too narrow a chain. Given the post above about the tolerance I am looking for, the chain is correctly sized for a 5 speed friction freewheel.
In all likelihood you won't find a chain marketed as a 5s, but you might find one marked 6s which will be the same width. Otherwise any chain marked 7s or 8s will only be slightly narrower and should run fine. I use a 8s chain on my 6s freewheel (same spacing as 5s) with absolutely no problems.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.