Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Make sense to build Surly from frame and random parts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 07:15 PM
Austinite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I'm looking at two bikes: the Surly Cross check and Long Haul Trucker. Yes, yes.. I know there are plenty of threads arguing the merits of both. I still haven't made up my mind there so I'm borrowing both next week to try them. BUT I have an idea. Tell me if this (from your experience) will be worth it or will end badly:

I *could* buy a complete build for around $1100. OR I could buy a frame for around $400. Then I was considering volunteering at the local bike advocacy place, learning how to do everything necessary to install parts, and then use various random parts they have to build my bike. I'd save money.... or not. I'd probably need a *new* cassette, right? New rings? New saddle probably. New chain. Would I just end up spending nearly as much for a bike with some parts being old and random, or would this be a cool way to get a bike?

BTW, I posted this here because I'm a commuter. If there's a better subforum, please advise.
Old 05-16-10, 07:30 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I have two Surly's I put together from parts instead of buying the made already model. I have a Cross Check and Big Dummy. I commute on both, so I suggest getting them both.
Old 05-16-10, 07:55 PM
h. bicycletus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i recommend building it from the frame. My commuter/touring bike is an LHT. I suggest building it from the frame up rather than buying a 'complete' because it will give you the wrenching experience it it will truly be your bike, rather than you adjusting to a stock bike. That said, there are limits to how many used parts you may want to include. .. .you definitely want a new cassette and chain. Building a bike from the frame can be more costly when using all new parts because you will never get the economy of scale that the major builders do (massive volume discounts) but you can get the bike you want rather than compromise. You have to weigh several factors- - -the experience and connection you get from building it yourself (albeit with some used parts) vs getting a stock build. Also, the advocacy organization may not have everything you need in their used parts bins. . . .you might develop a complete parts list first, see what's available, price out what's not, and then make your decision. Is it cost driven or experience driven? Only you can decide what's more valuable.
Old 05-16-10, 08:31 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I googled Surly Long Haul Trucker the other day because I saw a few threads about them and didn't know anything about them except that I see lots of them on my commute. My wife saw the query when she went to use google next on the computer and she asked me why I was looking for grumpy old men? She thought it was hilarious when I clicked on it again and it was a bike.
Old 05-16-10, 08:39 PM
jsmonet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nothing replaces building it yourself. you'd think you're getting a deal buying complete (kinda like buying in bulk, or buying a car vs. all the parts + assembling yourself) but you're really not. also, nothing replaces doing it yourself.

get exactly what you want and build it yourself. you won't regret it.
Old 05-16-10, 09:07 PM
dwr1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The knowledge you'll gain from a "DIY" project is certainly worth a lot. However, unless you have a lot of expert help, tools and resources (BF for one!), then the road is fraught with potential frustration and peril.

I'm NOT saying "Don't do it..." Just be forewarned that there are LOTS of "opportunities" for making costly mis-steps.

In any case, building from a frame (even when you already have a lot of the components) is rarely cheaper than buying the complete bike from a dealer. If money is tight, I'd suggest getting the built up bike and making upgrades that reflect your preferences as parts wear out.

Good luck - Whatever direction you choose.
Old 05-18-10, 02:23 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
If you want the experience of building it, go for it. I did, and I would do it again. But if money is an issue, then look at the complete and see if it suits your needs and if you really think you could do better buying it piece by piece or getting used parts.

From what I understand, the complete bike is a good deal if you are happy with the parts it comes with. I wanted something different for my LHT: didn't want drop bars, wanted a gear hub, eventually wanted a dynamo front wheel. It quickly became clear that I would end up replacing most of the components, so buying a complete bike didn't make any kind of sense. But buying a frame and working towards that standard build will likely cost you more in the long run. But it might allow you to spread the costs out some over time, which might help with budgeting if that's an issue. I probably put more money into my bike than the cost of an LHT Complete, but it was spread out, with some parts borrowed from another bike, and some parts bought because they were cheap and would work, rather than because they were the perfect part. Some of those cheap parts have yet to be replaced, so the process never ends, but that's probably the case with a Complete as well.
Old 05-18-10, 02:39 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Building it will work if you can see gearheadism and wrenching as a hobby (beyond just the week-to-week maintenance that comes up). To the extent that it will cost you more time and money, you can justify that as the cost of the hobby.

But the complete bike is great.
Old 05-18-10, 02:42 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I googled Surly Long Haul Trucker the other day because I saw a few threads about them and didn't know anything about them except that I see lots of them on my commute. My wife saw the query when she went to use google next on the computer and she asked me why I was looking for grumpy old men? She thought it was hilarious when I clicked on it again and it was a bike.
Now that is darn funny.
Old 05-18-10, 04:16 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have the most random surly crosscheck ever.

I bought it used almost four years ago. Traded it actually, for two other bikes. It was barely rideable at the time.

Over the next four years, I'd replace every part on the bike. Some of the parts are decades old - like the cranks, which originally were on a first generation stumpjumper.

Then I crashed and replaced the frame. My wife says it's a new bike. I say it still has the soul of the one I bought four years ago.

That's the beauty of the Crosscheck frame. You can fit it out with the latest high end Campy or Shimano. Or you can scour the back room of he local bike co-op. Or you can run it as a fixed gear. Or you can make it a three speed "English Racer." Loads of fun, no matter what you do.
Old 05-18-10, 04:28 PM
sseaman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am glad I built my own, it wasn't a Surly but it is now tweaked the way I want it, and with buying parts off ebay, Craigslist, and the local bike shop's used parts it came out much cheaper.
Old 05-18-10, 04:59 PM
MVclyde

Bikes: Seven Axiom S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started down this path with a cross check frame I got off Craigs List. I priced out the build I want. It's not high end by any stretch, but better than stock (and tailored to my preferences). Even with the best prices I could find on-line, it will be a few hundred dollars more than a complete bike from Surly. I'm going to use existing wheels, pedals, and saddle. I plan to do all the work myself except install the headset.
Old 05-18-10, 05:15 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by MVclyde
I plan to do all the work myself except install the headset.
Installing a headset can be easier than you think if you aren't having the head tube faced. Check out this link:

https://www.bikecommuters.com/2007/09...llation-tools/
Old 05-18-10, 05:34 PM
MVclyde

Bikes: Seven Axiom S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Installing a headset can be easier than you think if you aren't having the head tube faced. Check out this link:

https://www.bikecommuters.com/2007/09...llation-tools/
Cool, thanks!