Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just ordered my first road bike today!!!!!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 10:02 PM
dangs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all - This is my first post ever, I have been a non-member lurker for a couple of weeks now, soaking up all of the information I could find through various threads on here.

Anyways, I have never ridden a road bike before, I used to mountain bike but I haven't done much of that lately at all, and this is like being in a completely different world. I had tested out a couple bikes at local LBSs and limited my search down to either the Trek 1.5, Trek 2.1, Specialized Allez Elite, or Specialized Secteur Elite.

Long story short, I eventually decided to buy a 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite, it just felt the most comfortable to me and I have some lower back problems (I'm only 27 but I have occasional severe lower back pain), so the slightly more upright riding position really just feels better overall. Today I decided to drive across town to a Specialized "Concept Store" that supposedly was the biggest and best dealer in our area, hoping to find a 2010 Secteur Elite in my size that I could buy. Low and behold, I was AMAZED when I walked in to see that they had 2011 models on the floor for sale!!!!! No other shop near me even had information about the 2011s yet, and this shop actually had the physical bikes in stock. I was impressed with how much the salesman knew, not only about Specialized bikes, but about the competing bikes from other major manufacturers.

They had a brand new 2011 Secteur Elite on the floor, in my size...but it was already sold! I was still able to sit on it and shift through the gears a few times, and the new Apex group feels great. On top of it, they were selling the bike at MSRP of $1400, but during the TDF are offering 10% off on ANY road bike, even if it has to be ordered. So I was able to place my order for a 2011 Secteur Elite, in the black/white color scheme, for $1260 total, a GREAT deal! Not only that, this shop offers free tune-ups for the entire lifetime of the bike (as long as I own it), AND they will give me an additional 10% off anything I want to buy when I come to pick it up next Friday when it is delivered and assembled. I am probably going to buy a water bottle cage, a bottle, and a Strada Wireless bike computer to get myself started. Also, almost forgot to mention, on top of all this, they are going to do a complete fitting to my new bike when I come to pick it up, to ensure that I leave the store on the most comfortable and appropriately adjusted bike possible.

I will of course post pictures when I receive it. My main goals with my road bike are just to go on longer and longer rides and have fun. I am not as concerned with speed as I am with just being able to get out there, and find a great new way to enjoy the outdoors and improve my fitness level at the same time. I am technically a "Cyldesdale" right now, at 5'11" and 205 pounds, so hopefully this bike will help put me on to the right path to start changing that.

And I'd just like to say thank you in general to all of the members of this forum, I don't have any one person in particular to thank, but by reading through hundreds and hundreds of your posts, I have not only acquired a ton of basic knowledge to get myself started, but the motivation to get out and get biking again. Whether people extend a direct thank you or not, you guys are all helping out countless numbers of people who use these forums as a source of information, speculation, and opinions. I hope to be a frequent reader on these boards for a while to come as I delve deeper into road biking, and someday maybe I will be able to help out others who are in my current position as well.

Friday the 30th can't get here soon enough!!!!!!
Old 07-21-10, 10:37 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations. Enjoy!
Old 07-21-10, 11:11 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized is a good brand.
You did well.

S.
Old 07-21-10, 11:27 PM
razor244

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like an educated buy which is very important. enjoy brother
Old 07-22-10, 12:00 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
What's with all the people buying new Secteurs recently? This the new caad9 or something?

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy it!
Old 07-22-10, 12:00 AM
azncarbos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats man!!!
Old 07-22-10, 12:02 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
OP too long. What happened? You bot a byke?
Old 07-23-10, 03:27 PM
dangs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
What's with all the people buying new Secteurs recently? This the new caad9 or something?

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy it!
gus - I chose the Secteur because, as my original post said, even though I am still only in my 20's, I have pretty severe lower back pain. I was hesitant to spend so much money on a bike that most consider "plush" thinking I would regret it once I got the hang of road biking, and in fact had my mind set on buying the Allez Elite instead, but the riding position on the Secteur just felt so much better to me. I have been to multiple doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists, and unfortunately the final determination is that I am just going to have to live with the back pain (or agree to risky surgery that doesn't guarantee any results even if it is successful).

The salesman at the shop felt the same way for me about the Allez vs. Secteur when I told him I suffer from lower back issues too. He also told me that the Secteur could be adjusted to achieve an aggressive riding position with a few changes in case I ever wanted to be a little more aggressive with it. Right now though, my goal is just to get out and enjoy some rides as comfortably as possible, while pushing myself harder each day to build up the strength and endurance to go further and further.
Old 07-23-10, 04:17 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats. Just don't push it too hard, too fast, too soon. Time in the saddle is more important than miles. If you do this right, once you build your core strength your back issues will disappear. If you push too hard too fast, it will make things worse.
Old 07-23-10, 04:33 PM
swampdonkey90

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats ! I got my first road bike on June 10th and I have already ridden 650 miles on it. Take short trips i.e 5- 10 miles at first. Work your way up. I did my first 50 mile ride last weekend and I am looking forward to repeating tomorrow.

Congrats again !
Old 07-23-10, 06:24 PM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Enjoy the ride!
Old 07-23-10, 07:02 PM
Ziltoid

Bikes: Giant defy 3 '09 ~~ Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc '10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No pics no bike.
Old 07-23-10, 07:25 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I read that you had some lower back pain issues, more than likely, if you cycle and do it often you might find that your back will give you no more trouble.

Have fun with your new bike!
Old 07-24-10, 10:14 PM
dangs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swampdonkey90
Congrats ! I got my first road bike on June 10th and I have already ridden 650 miles on it. Take short trips i.e 5- 10 miles at first. Work your way up. I did my first 50 mile ride last weekend and I am looking forward to repeating tomorrow.

Congrats again !
Thanks! I actually plan on following this very closely. I doubt my first 10 or so rides will go beyond the 10 mile mark. I really just want to get some time in the saddle and get a good feel for how the bike handles beneath me. I also have never done any road biking, so I want to get comfortable with sharing the road with cars little by little and building my way up.

Originally Posted by Ziltoid
No pics no bike.
Well, if you read the first post you would realize I already said I don't have the bike...I said I ordered it and will be receiving it this coming Friday! I will try and remember to post pics once I get it.

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I read that you had some lower back pain issues, more than likely, if you cycle and do it often you might find that your back will give you no more trouble.

Have fun with your new bike!
A reduction in back pain would be amazing. I started running last year, and unfortunately running kills my back.
Old 07-24-10, 10:31 PM
Ziltoid

Bikes: Giant defy 3 '09 ~~ Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc '10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No pics Friday, no bike Friday.
Old 07-24-10, 10:34 PM
Dean7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome. Road bikes are like crack. Enjoy!!!