Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Steerer tube cut slightly too long

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 07:48 AM
lineinthewater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My steerer tube (carbon) was cut so that it is exactly flush with the top of the stem. Unfortunately, I rode about 8 miles on it before noticing the play in the headset/fork. Doubt it messed anything up (correct me if I'm wrong).

So, I can either have another 2-3mm shaved off the steerer tube (2-3mm is proper gap, correct?), or put another spacer under the stem (or change the existing spacer to a slightly larger one).

Two questions:

1. Are there any pitfalls to trying to cut such a small slice from a carbon steerer tube? I'm guessing this is a complete non-issue, but wanted to make 100% sure. For such a small cut, is a hacksaw OK, or would a specialized tool be better?

2. What are standard headset spacer heights? Do they come in either 2, 3, 7, or 8 mm?

Last edited by lineinthewater; 02-03-13 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-03-13, 07:59 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12780 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Some carbon steerer fork manus recommend a spacer above the stem, so I'd just do that. I've seen 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm spacers. Mostly 5mm increments above that, but I imagine others might be around.
Old 02-03-13, 08:05 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Some carbon steerer fork manus recommend a spacer above the stem, so I'd just do that. I've seen 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm spacers
Two issues with this:

1. I know many manufacturers and mechanics suggest using a spacer above the stem, to better distribute the clamping force of the stem across it's entire length (on the steerer tube). I have a Cannondale, and they specifically say not to put spacers above the stem. I found the reason is that the top cap actually has a plug that fits within the steerer tube (to counter the clamping force of the stem). Adding top spacers reduces it's effectiveness.

2. Assuming I didn't have a Cannondale, I believe the steerer tube needs to actually extend well above the stem to use a top spacer. In other words, it can't just float on top.
Old 02-03-13, 08:06 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Don't cut the steerer because having it supported completely within the stem is desirable for carbon. The easiest thing to do is add a 2 or 5 mm spacer ABOVE the stem to provide the adjustment gap. Common spacers are 2, 5, 10, 20, 30 and 40 mm.
Old 02-03-13, 08:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by lineinthewater
Assuming I didn't have a Cannondale, I believe the steerer tube needs to actually extend well above the stem to use a top spacer. In other words, it can't just float on top.
I see no problem with a spacer above the stem even if the stem is now flush. When the OP gets the proper headset preload, I expect a thin edge of steerer will indeed be above the stem and will center the top spacer.

Another approach is to remove about 2 mm of spacers from below the stem and add 5 mm above it. That will assure the stem projects above the steerer a small amount.
Old 02-03-13, 08:12 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
I see no problem with a spacer above the stem even if the stem is now flush. When the OP gets the proper headset preload, I expect a thin edge of steerer will indeed be above the stem and will center the top spacer.

Another approach is to remove about 2 mm of spacers from below the stem and add 5 mm above it. That will assure the stem projects above the steerer a small amount.
This is the headset I have. See the top cap? That lower portion of the cap extends inside the steerer tube. Like I said, Cannondale explicitly says not to put on top spacers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CANNONDALE-C...-/120997047347
Old 02-03-13, 08:18 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12780 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Two issues with this:

1. I know many manufacturers and mechanics suggest using a spacer above the stem, to better distribute the clamping force of the stem across it's entire length (on the steerer tube). I have a Cannondale, and they specifically say not to put spacers above the stem. I found the reason is that the top cap actually has a plug that fits within the steerer tube (to counter the clamping force of the stem). Adding top spacers reduces it's effectiveness.

2. Assuming I didn't have a Cannondale, I believe the steerer tube needs to actually extend well above the stem to use a top spacer. In other words, it can't just float on top.
Good points. If there is absolutely no lip of steerer above the stem theres a good chance you'll nevere preload the bearings. And yep, some plugs also serve to brace against the stem's compression, so as much plug in the stem as possible is a good thing.
Old 02-03-13, 08:27 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Good points. If there is absolutely no lip of steerer above the stem theres a good chance you'll nevere preload the bearings. And yep, some plugs also serve to brace against the stem's compression, so as much plug in the stem as possible is a good thing.
I want to stick with Cannondale's recommendation (correction, instructions). Given this, do you think the easiest/safest thing to do is add a 2mm spacer (on top of my existing 5mm spacer) below the stem? Is that a good gap? I'm guessing when the headset is preloaded, as Hillrider points out, it will close the gap to 1-1.5mm?
Old 02-03-13, 09:20 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here but since they recommend that the steerer plug be located at a certain place in relation to the stem why not just move the plug and add whatever size spacers needed on top of the stem. There is also the option of taking the extra 2-3mm off the steerer with a sanding wheel preferably the motorized on a stand type for accuracy as opposed to a hand held drill. (protect your lungs and wear a mask) I always prefer to have a little extra stem on top for two reasons. First you'll have more adjustment available if you decide to raise your stem at some point and second you give just a little more clamping area for the stem. That 3mm that sits halfway between one of the clamps creates a higher stress spot. Probably not a problem for most setups but why do it that way when a spacer on top takes away the risk.
Old 02-03-13, 09:30 AM
HillRider

Despite Cannondale's recommendation for no spacers above the stem i can't believe a 2 mm spacer will compromise the steerer's strength. I'm sure they don't want 10 or 20 mm there but 2 can't be an issue.
Old 02-03-13, 11:38 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Despite Cannondale's recommendation for no spacers above the stem i can't believe a 2 mm spacer will compromise the steerer's strength. I'm sure they don't want 10 or 20 mm there but 2 can't be an issue.
+1, and if you want to absolutely stick to their instructions then just put a small spacer under the stem to create a gap at the top so the headset preload adjustment can be made properly. No need to cut the steerer.
Old 02-04-13, 10:17 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My steerer tube (carbon) was cut so that it is exactly flush with the top of the stem. Unfortunately, I rode about 8 miles on it before noticing the play in the headset/fork. Doubt it messed anything up (correct me if I'm wrong). So, I can either have another 2-3mm shaved off the steerer tube (2-3mm is proper gap, correct?), or put another spacer under the stem (or change the existing spacer to a slightly larger one). two questions:
1. Are there any pitfalls to trying to cut such a small slice from a carbon steerer tube?
Yes. For all materials, it needs to be done very carefully and to make sure it is absolutely square. There is a special jig for "steerer cutting". I wouldn't recommend cutting one without the jig.

2. What are standard headset spacer heights? Do they come in either 2, 3, 7, or 8 mm?
Recommend looking for them! FWIW, ebay has a million ads of them for sale. Replace X and search on: threadless +headset +spacer +Xmm .... although you should see that there are ads for small sets of them in a range of thicknesses for just a few dollars more than buying just one. Great for when not fully sure which is perfect for your situation.
Old 02-04-13, 11:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Since OP did not announce its a Cannondale.. some projecting seems to have occurred..
Over or under the stem is the choice..
not only are there machined Carbon tube spacers, to keep to the carbon fiber thing..
typically, 2.5, 5, 10 mm, ... 20, 40..
but there are also thin metal shim steering tube spacers that are thinner than 1 mm..
Old 02-04-13, 11:30 AM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the right wheel (not sure what grade wheel for carbon) you could use a wide roller or 4 wheel tubing cutter and it should be able to get a straight cut even if its just a minimal length to cut. I for one have never used it for steering tubes but I've cut all sorts of other pipe (apprentice plumber)
I find a lot of tools work well for plumbing and cycling. A strap wrench will also tighten and remove an external bb aswell as the actual tool does and won't slip or marr edges
Old 02-04-13, 11:33 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Since OP did not announce its a Cannondale.. some projecting seems to have occurred..
Right, we didn't find out it was a Cannnondale until the third posting.
Old 02-04-13, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

OK that is different [not in a C'dale shop] metal steerers have different requirements ..

stem Apparently needs 100% contact on CF steerer forks.. so under the stem your thin spacer must go..
Old 02-04-13, 11:57 AM
FMB42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I see it the "recommended 2-3mm gap" is still going to allow the top cap to support the tube under any stem clamping forces regardless of whether or not you use a 2-3mm spacer on top.

My guess it that C'dale doesn't want you to use spacers above the stem that thicker than say 10 or more millimeters (which could/would negate the top cap's support). I could be wrong tho...

Otherwise, you could simply place a 2-3mm spacer underneath the stem (as others have mentioned) and be done with it.
Old 02-04-13, 01:08 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You can easily trim 2 - 3 mm off the top of the steer tube using a flat tile. I would probably use a coarse file first and finish with a finer file.
Old 02-04-13, 01:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Carbon fiber dust is not good to inhale.. it stays in your lungs..
Old 02-04-13, 03:48 PM
HillRider

No, it doesn't. The MSDS for Carbon Fiber calls it a temporary upper respiratory itrritant. Breathing the dust isn't a particularly great idea but it's not long term harmful unless you do it daily.
Old 02-04-13, 04:30 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
In the words of Bill Clinton, I didn't inhale.
Old 02-04-13, 04:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

still I'd wear a dust mask when working with the stuff.. maybe a wet one to capture the really fine stuff..
Old 02-04-13, 06:15 PM
HillRider

still I'd wear a dust mask when working with the stuff.. maybe a wet one to capture the really fine stuff..
Sure, no argument with that but, my point was that carbon dust isn't in the same category as asbestos.
Old 02-04-13, 07:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Since the top cap is not needed while riding the bike, assuming a properly tightened stem, here's an option not mentioned. You could install a spacer above the stem, well centered on the steerer, install the top cap which now will transfer it's preloading to the stem, adjust the headset, tighten the stem, remove the top cap and spacer and go ride. (Or put the top cap back on so no one says your set up is wrong). Andy.
Old 02-05-13, 12:53 AM
Greyryder
Powerful-Ugly Creature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep it simple. Just put a 2mm spacer on top of the stem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.