Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

XTR Rear Derailleur with STI Shifters?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 09:19 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I am building a touring bike and hope to run a 9 speed 12-36 cassette on the rear with drop bars and STI shifters. Can I run an XTR rear derailleur with 9 speed STI shifters? (I know the XTR front derailleur is not compatible with STI shifters so I am planning to use an Ultegra front derailleur.)

Thanks for your help.

Don
Old 05-20-13, 09:44 PM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Which XTR rear derailer? An older 9speed version would work nicely, but the 10speeds are s'posedly not compatible with 9 speed shifters/cassettes, due to slightly different pull ratios.
Old 05-20-13, 09:51 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
Which XTR rear derailer? An older 9speed version would work nicely, but the 10speeds are s'posedly not compatible with 9 speed shifters/cassettes, due to slightly different pull ratios.
It isn't "slightly", the 10s mtn "Dyna-Sys" cable travel is about *twice* the travel of the 9s RD's for the same amount of RD movement.
I had one here for experimental purposes.
Old 05-20-13, 10:15 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Touche. But,let's remember, 2cents is only slightly more than 1cent, even though it's twice as much. Some glasses are half-full; others are half-empty, etc.
It's a moot point; dyna-sys is the exact reason why i (finally) decided to boycott Shimano. I used to love 'em.
Old 05-21-13, 01:07 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Don't imagine Dyna-Sys is merely planned obsolescence; Shimano should have changed their RD's actuation ratio when they came up with 8s.

It's long overdue - double the cable pull is a welcome improvement, and compatibility hassles are as nothing next to systems so finicky they only work properly when everything's in perfect condition.
Old 05-21-13, 06:07 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It may not be "merely" planned obsolescence, but there is certainly a planned obsolescence facet to the situation. And, let's face it, those new chains are just a rip-off designed to fleece the customer.

I'm done. I'll keep my indexed stuff working as long as I can, then i'll move to friction forever.
Old 05-21-13, 06:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I am building a touring bike and hope to run a 9 speed 12-36 cassette on the rear with drop bars and STI shifters. Can I run an XTR rear derailleur with 9 speed STI shifters? (I know the XTR front derailleur is not compatible with STI shifters so I am planning to use an Ultegra front derailleur.)

Thanks for your help.

Don
Yes, you can. It's not a problem. I have two road bikes using 9 speed XTR rear derailers with STI shifters. It's not an issue nor difficult to set up.

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Don't imagine Dyna-Sys is merely planned obsolescence; Shimano should have changed their RD's actuation ratio when they came up with 8s.

It's long overdue - double the cable pull is a welcome improvement, and compatibility hassles are as nothing next to systems so finicky they only work properly when everything's in perfect condition.
When they came up with 8 speed? Keeping a 9 speed derailer working perfectly isn't difficult at all and keeping a road rear derailer on a 10 speed system...which uses the same cable pull...working perfectly isn't difficult either even in severe mountain bike conditions. Neither systems are 'finicky' in my experience.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-21-13, 10:45 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, you can. It's not a problem. I have two road bikes using 9 speed XTR rear derailers with STI shifters. It's not an issue nor difficult to set up.
I just built up one of my Pelotons with this very same setup, thanks to the guidance of the kind souls in this very forum. Found an NOS pair of 7700 brifters and they work perfectly with the modern XTR cassette & RD. Only hitch is that I had to go with a 7700 front derailleur too, because the 9-speed chain is of course wider than the 7800, and rubbed lightly at the gearing extremities.

Old 05-21-13, 10:51 AM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not double. I tried to hang a dynasys RD on a road bike a while back, it was travelling 7 or 8 rings (out of 10) over the range of the shifters.

It is a completely pointless change whose only purpose that I can see is to make things incompatible with each other.
Old 05-21-13, 11:06 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As already pointed out, DynaSys has a different pull ratio and will not work, but any earlier 9S or 8S Shimano mountain rear derailleur will work just fine with road STI levers.
Old 05-21-13, 11:08 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by calamarichris
I just built up one of my Pelotons with this very same setup, thanks to the guidance of the kind souls in this very forum. Found an NOS pair of 7700 brifters and they work perfectly with the modern XTR cassette & RD.
What model rear derailleur did you use then? A new one or an older 9 speed?

Thanks,

Don
Old 05-21-13, 12:27 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
What model rear derailleur did you use then? A new one or an older 9 speed?

Thanks,

Don
New one.
Old 05-21-13, 01:36 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one in the picture ^^^ looks exactly the same as the one I tried to put on mine, which was dyna-sys. If it is the correct picture, I have no idea why it's working for you.
Old 05-21-13, 01:44 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar seems to have a big sale/closeout on first gen XTR dyna-sys RD. Was tempted to buy one but looking for compatibility and so I stopped myself even though the price was good. I found buying a long arm Microshift version was indeed more compatible and cheaper. That might be an option, unless having the "all Shimano" gruppo label on the bike is important.
Old 05-21-13, 08:44 PM
dwmckee

I think that is the RD-M772 SGS. I guess I'll have to just plug it all together and wire it up then and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone! You guys rock as always!

Keep the rubber side down...