Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Backup commute road bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Backup commute road bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 04:16 PM
okiride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backup commute road bike

Hi all.

This is my first post. I am looking for a backup commute option for a 4 mile journey to and from work. I mainly use a motorcycle. I would like to buy a road bike as I have never had one before, would also be a chance to get some much needed exercise.

As it is not a main commute option for now, I am looking for a budget entry option.

I have found these options

Piccadilly £125
Buy Vertigo Piccadilly 21" Unisex Road Bike from our All Bikes range - Tesco.com

Vittesse Sprint £160
Vittesse Sprint 21-Speed Alloy Racing Bike:Amazon.co.uk:Sports & Outdoors

Viking jetstream £140
Bikes 2U Direct -- Road bikes : Racing -- Viking Jetstream bike

I know all the hardcore road bikers right cringe at these options. However is there any advice for which option might be the best one?

Thanks all.
Old 11-02-14, 04:56 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
No cringing here. My first impression is that the bikes all look remarkably similar, i.e., they may all have the same basic components. If it's not your main form of transportation, then you can probably live without fenders for now.

With any bike, but probably more so with an inexpensive bike, it's a good idea to educate yourself on maintenance, especially so you can be sure that the drive train and brakes are set up properly and don't deteriorate over time. I sometimes wonder if cheaper bikes are less reliable mainly because they are cheaply maintained.

Is a second hand bike a possibility?
Old 11-02-14, 05:00 PM
Todzilla

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just bequeathed my backup bike, a 2004 Breezer Villager, to my daughter. She'll use it far more than I have ever since it's been relegated to backup status.
Old 11-02-14, 05:48 PM
okiride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Good point about the maintenance Gresp15C. I would like to build up the bike myself do I feel more comfortable with maintainece and repairs.

I have been looking second hand options too. Its just finding one that I feel comfortable in buying.
Old 11-02-14, 07:22 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
With only 4 miles you might be better off getting a hybrid than a road bike, unless it is your intention to start seriously riding
Old 11-02-14, 08:13 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a cheap road bike once. It was so bottom of the barrel it was seriously no fun to ride. I'd up your budget to around 300 pounds and get a nice hybrid (or at that level a roadie gets to be ok). Or, at that price go second hand. You really won't get much enjoyment from a really cheap bike.
Old 11-03-14, 12:39 AM
okiride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to all this, what's not fun about cheap bottom end road bikes? Is it the weight?

Also I have some really nice road cycle routes in my area and wanted to give road bikes a try, especially as I had mountain bikes in the past.

Maybe second hand would be a better option?
Old 11-03-14, 01:07 AM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
If I were to have one bike and only one bike, I would want something more versatile than a road bike. I currently have two bikes, one is a rigid hybrid and the other is a cyclocross bike that I use more as a road bike. Both have cargo racks to carry my bag and the hybrid has mudguards for wet conditions and because I have to deal with sprinklers riding through the park at night.

The bikes you have chosen all come only in one size except that last one, but even then there are only two frame sizes. The hybrid I have comes in 5 different sizes and my cyclocross bike has more than 10. A lot of people are surprised to find that bicycle frames come in different sizes to accommodate differently sized riders. Even two people of the same height might find that they prefer different sizes. The frame size is usually a measure of the seat tube, and as the frame size changes, so do other dimensions of the frame, so in most situations, you can't just get a small frame and put in a longer seat post.

Bottom line is if the bike does not fit you, the ride will not be pleasant.

Low end bikes use cheap components that are sometimes difficult to work with or wear out quickly. Sometimes bearings don't turn smoothly and are instead notchy. And I don't know that I'd trust a bicycle built at a department store. They are generally put together as quickly as possible and the bike is not tuned to work well so gear shifts may not work well, brakes may not work well, wheels out of round, etc. Shimano makes parts for bicycles that range from $100 to $10000+, so Shimano parts doesn't necessarily make a good bicycle.

A quick look at the last bike shows a 42/52 crankset which is a very narrow gearing range. This is does not sound like something I'd want to ride in a hilly area. Compare to my triple 50/39/28 crankset and the compact double crankset with 50/34 which seems to be the norm amongst recreational riders currently. Triples are out of style now, but still a lot of avid supporters of triples.

Last edited by jsdavis; 11-03-14 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 01:08 AM
okiride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to all this, what's not fun about cheap bottom end road bikes? Is it the weight?

Also I have some really nice road cycle routes in my area and wanted to give road bikes a try, especially as I had mountain bikes in the past.

Maybe second hand would be a better option?

--- Sorry about the double post, not sure what happened here ---

Last edited by okiride; 11-03-14 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 03:25 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A useful road bike should have tyre clearance for 28mm + muduards (fenders), for riding on wet roads.
It should have threaded eyelets for mudguards and a rear luggage rack.
The gear ratios should be suitable for the rider's power , consider compact chainset (34/50) instead of race chainset (39/52).
Make sure it fits
Budget for lock, light, mudguards, helmet, gloves, windproof top, waterproof.
Consider stepping up a grade to Pinnacle Dolomite
4 miles is an easy distance to ride in about 20mins. You should have a backup motorbike
Old 11-03-14, 07:22 AM
okiride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking for a road bike, however more and more people are recommending hybrids at work. I do have to negotiate a busy city road and a bus lane and with winter coming up this might be a better option?

I sometimes see Road bikers look very unstable at slow speeds, is this to do with the style of bike it is or maybe just the inexperience of the rider?

I agree the motorcycle should be the backup option. I have just moved house so now have an option for cycling.
Old 11-03-14, 07:32 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view the main thing that's not fun about a cheap bike is if it malfunctions. But there are two other things as well. As others have mentioned, fit is important. If the bike is really uncomfortable to ride, then it will never make it out of the shed. The other thing is the tires. There seems to be a growing consensus that somewhat wider tires are preferable for commuting, so at the very least I'd avoid a road bike that only accommodates really skinny tires.

But plenty of people commute on old road bikes.

My view is that there's no way to guess exactly what you will want, and the only way to find out is to start with something, get riding, and think about what your next upgrade or next bike will be.
Old 11-03-14, 07:36 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Consider your alternative uses for the commuting bike, eg sport, leisure, utility, holidays.
Road bikes are fine if that is what you want. They limit the max tyre size. I prefer to ride min 28mm in winter, others are happy with 25mm. 32mm is my usual winter 700c commuter tyre.
The modern Do-it-all bike is really a cyclo-cross/touring machine with disc brakes. They don't come in budget versions, see Boardman CX.
Old 11-03-14, 11:24 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
In my view the main thing that's not fun about a cheap bike is if it malfunctions. But there are two other things as well. As others have mentioned, fit is important. If the bike is really uncomfortable to ride, then it will never make it out of the shed. The other thing is the tires. There seems to be a growing consensus that somewhat wider tires are preferable for commuting, so at the very least I'd avoid a road bike that only accommodates really skinny tires.

But plenty of people commute on old road bikes.

My view is that there's no way to guess exactly what you will want, and the only way to find out is to start with something, get riding, and think about what your next upgrade or next bike will be.
Yeah, find a good second hand bike with the help of forumers here and ride it lots - you will definitely pick up the jargon, your preferences, your dislikes, and so on. Spend a little more if you have to or as many people have said, it will not be ridden. That may sound harsh, but enjoying your ride is important to becoming enthusiastic about it.
Old 11-03-14, 12:17 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The brakes on those 14 speed bikes look absolutely dreadful.
Old 11-05-14, 10:56 AM
okiride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
The brakes on those 14 speed bikes look absolutely dreadful.
Yes, they have received negatives reviews because of the brakes.