Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Ibis Hakka MX Geometry

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-20, 05:20 PM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ibis Hakka MX Geometry

I'm seeing photos where seat stays meet seat tube up by the top tube such as this...

And others where they are lower down such as this...

I've read about the change in fork from post mount to direct mount but can't find any information on the frame change. I wonder if anybody out there has the latter version (lower seat stays) and if their review would be as positive as most of those I've read online. Specifically, I'm interested in ride comfort and how bike performs on the road.

Last edited by tarsi; 01-31-20 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-31-20, 03:32 AM
DavidfGR

Bikes: Santa Cruz - Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I would say the top pic is smaller size frame, bottom in larger size frame. You can also see difference in head tube length.
Old 01-31-20, 08:10 AM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidfGR
I would say the top pic is smaller size frame, bottom in larger size frame. You can also see difference in head tube length.
At first I thought the difference was due to frame size as well but then I found small frames with lower stays as well as large frames with high stays (see below). There was definitely a change made to the frame's rear triangle (and possibly other areas) and I'm wondering how that effects the ride.

Old 01-31-20, 08:53 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I think the higher stays must be the latest version. The flat mount brake would be a more modern choice, and the bikes currently on Ibis' website are all that way. https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/hakka-mx Stands to reason they'd have the most up to date pics on there I think? I like the aesthetics of the higher stays for whatever that's worth-no idea how it would effect performance.
Old 01-31-20, 09:31 AM
tarsi 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
I think the higher stays must be the latest version. The flat mount brake would be a more modern choice, and the bikes currently on Ibis' website are all that way. https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/hakka-mx Stands to reason they'd have the most up to date pics on there I think? I like the aesthetics of the higher stays for whatever that's worth-no idea how it would effect performance.
Agreed. I like the higher stays as well. My thought is that the larger rear triangle would provide more flex and as a result a more comfortable ride but I'm not an engineer.

Jensonusa.com has some really good deals on the lower stay frames which I've been looking at. The post mount fork I can live with but if the difference in frame geometry will impact ride quality that is another story.