Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mountain biker thinking about picking up the road cycling hobby as well.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 06:31 PM
MTBikeTexas

Bikes: Haro V4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Decided to join the forum and ask you all knowledgeable folks about adding road cycling to my repertoire of physical activity. I started riding off road in college and road non stop for a few years, then on and off after graduating as life became busier with work and other activities. I originally started riding because I found an affinity for craft beer in college and to keep from blowing up I needed a hobby to help burn off those delicious calories. Lately I've been thinking about adding a road bike in the garage because I live in North Texas, and our MTB season has been all but ruined by the enormous amount of rain we've seen this year. However, if I had a road bike, I'd have more flexibility to keep the wheels turning while the trails are muddy, if not completely flooded in some cases.

Anyway, enough rambling I suppose. I was hoping to hear recommendations from those that might ride both, or have ridden both, and might be able to lead me to an affordable quality option to ride on the streets. Something I won't be heart broken on losing a bunch of cash if I end up not liking it....

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-07-15, 06:35 PM
Giant Fuji

Bikes: 2015 Giant Talon 4, 2015 Fuji Roubaix 1.1, 2010 Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out with a MTB, it is so much easier to just roll out of the garage and pound out miles on a road bike. Still have the MTB and ride it every so often but it is more of an ordeal to hit a trail somewhere.
Old 06-07-15, 07:04 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ya. don't waste your time.
Old 06-07-15, 07:21 PM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Fuji
I started out with a MTB, it is so much easier to just roll out of the garage and pound out miles on a road bike. Still have the MTB and ride it every so often but it is more of an ordeal to hit a trail somewhere.
So this. After 10 years of sporadic MTB riding, I've been riding on the road 5+ days a week for the past few years now. MTB is still fun every now and again but being on the road is very freeing.
Old 06-07-15, 08:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Performance bike has a couple deals on Fuji and Ridley right now. CAAD 10 from Cannondale is usually a good buy.

What's your budget?
Old 06-07-15, 08:09 PM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same situation, albeit after buying a new rockhopper, and then a road tandem.... So the future missus is looking cross eyed as I talk about buying yet another bike. I'm finding I much prefer the riding position on the road tandem to that of the mountain bike while on the road. In another week I'll see how the local trails fared after they've had some more time to dry out.

So, do it! I will soon, just gotta find the right bike at the right price to reduce couch time to a night or two...
Old 06-07-15, 08:35 PM
big john

Originally Posted by MTBikeTexas
So is this the right forum to ask for a couple bike recommendations?
Yes, how much do you want to spend? Avoid Wal-Mart bikes unless you just want to cruise around the neighborhood.
Old 06-07-15, 08:42 PM
MTBikeTexas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Yes, how much do you want to spend? Avoid Wal-Mart bikes unless you just want to cruise around the neighborhood.
I'd like to stay around $300-$400... from what I can tell Road Bikes are very pricey compared to mountain bikes. I picked up my Haro brand new for $550 and it's just about as loaded as an off the rack mountain bike came in it's day, it is 7 years old at this point.
Old 06-07-15, 08:51 PM
big john

For that money you might get lucky and find something used in your size.

Maybe someone else here has heard of a suitable bike, depending on what you're going to do with it.

Last edited by big john; 06-07-15 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-07-15, 08:59 PM
MTBikeTexas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd most likely use it to replace running on week nights with a quick 10-15 mile ride, and on the weekends a longer ride in the morning before it gets too hot, say 20-30 miles. I run about 3-5 miles 4 days a week so I'm just thinking what that might translate into bike wise. I honestly don't know that's why I'm here to learn.
Old 06-07-15, 09:21 PM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're average sized, you should be able to find something used that's good in that range. I, on the other ham, am a fat giant..
Old 06-07-15, 10:44 PM
MTBikeTexas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, I'm 6' 240... so, whatever that is worth.
Old 06-07-15, 10:59 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Take your time and watch craigslist and join some face book bike groups for your local area and see if anybody has any older bikes for sale. Road biking is great exercise, mountain biking is great fun.
Old 06-08-15, 01:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
that's what makes cycling such an awesome sport. you can just roll out your door and start getting exercise. unless you live in moab or durango or mammoth, road cycling is easier.
Old 06-08-15, 04:56 AM
txcrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even more reason to shy away from the Walmart bikes.

$400 and a few weeks patience will buy you a good bike. 57-60 cm should fit you. Do a search, come back to the forum and search again, and go for a ride.
Old 06-08-15, 05:37 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Join pedals bikes and junk on Facebook. It's north Texas based and there will be a deal you like pop up sooner or later. You're probably going to be looking at a 56-58cm bike.

I'm with you, since all the flooding, my road cycling has become my primary hobby and my mtb just sits on the closet looking pretty. All the good "pucker" trails are down for a while.
Old 06-08-15, 06:42 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just put a couple slick tires on your MTB and hit the road. Once the trails dry out, put the other tires back on.
Old 06-08-15, 07:51 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Get something in the 56-58cm range, I would think given your height. Buy a used bike with your budget...I just sold a very good aluminium race bike with Tiagra components for 500 bucks and it was in very, very good condition. Something like that would really serve you well for a couple of years, at least.
Old 06-08-15, 08:36 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd like to stay around $300-$400... from what I can tell Road Bikes are very pricey compared to mountain bikes. I picked up my Haro brand new for $550 and it's just about as loaded as an off the rack mountain bike came in it's day, it is 7 years old at this point.
I ride both mtb and road and love them both. In my area, I have to travel to ride mtb so it is not as easy to do. With your budget, you are going to have to go the used route. There is no problem with that, you just have to exercise a little patience. Watch Craigs List for road bikes in the 57-59 cm range. You should be able to find one in your range pretty quickly. Stay away from the Walmart/Box store bikes as they will be money pits.
The road is different than mtb but it is almost as enjoyable. I love the fact that I can just roll out of my house though. As we get older and have families priorities shift and all day mtb excursions are less likely to occur. The road is still awesome though.
Good luck and post back if you have any questions about bikes on CL. There is plenty of help on this board.
Old 06-08-15, 08:58 AM
MTBikeTexas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 FUJI Sportif 59cm

Am I at least on the right track here?
Old 06-08-15, 10:52 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Still into those craft beers?
Old 06-08-15, 12:29 PM
MTBikeTexas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately...
Old 06-08-15, 01:09 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rode MTB this morning. HR was railed around 180 the entire ride... it takes a special group ride to get that fitness on my road bike...granted, the switchbacks and drop-offs contribute to most of the adrenaline coursing through my body...

I agree with others who say "get some slicks for your MTB" at least while you are waiting for the perfect bike to show up on craigslist, that is...
Old 06-08-15, 01:55 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 FUJI Sportif 59cm

Am I at least on the right track here?

Looks like that ad has been taken down, but a Fuji Sportif (with Claris or better equipment; stay away from Tourney) would be a decent road bike. There's a Performance Bike store near you (Plano, TX), so you could go there and see what the Fuji's ride like.

GH
Old 06-08-15, 02:00 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Still into those craft beers?
op ain't the only one. might be manorexic except for that damned evil craft beer conspiracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.