Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tire recommendations

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 11:52 AM
Ajay423

Bikes: Dahon boardwalk 7, soma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire recommendations

Apologize in advance for posting this inquiry. I have looked through history on this topic, but would like some current opinions.
I just acquired a Dahon boardwalk 7 speed with 20” tires (47-406 20x1.75). The tires on this bike were unused, but have flat spots from sitting in the box, and never rotated.
I read good things about Schwalbe (big apple, and others). I have enough room for 20X2.0.
Bike will be used for under 10 mile trips on smooth road, smooth dirt and gravel roads, some grassy fields, and smooth paths - mostly state parks and other campgrounds.
Any recommendations?
Thanks
Old 03-01-21, 02:43 PM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
schwalbe makes a fantastic tire. I have wider rims on my bike (also 20 inch) and I bought some btwin tires (store brand from decathalon). they seem to roll really well and perform fine, they are also inexpensive (I paid around $25CAD/tire).
Old 03-09-21, 04:44 AM
Falconista

Bikes: 1986 Falcon Laser, 2004 Dahon, 2018 Moulton TSR

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 1.75" diameter would work well. A little bit of tread for the trails, reasonable rolling resistance on the road, and decent puncture protection. My use sounds a bit like yours.

They have a reputation for being tough to get on the rim but I didn't have that issue.
Old 03-09-21, 08:14 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I have 2 Boardwalks and put Kenda tires on them and am very happy with them. Been on for 2 years now with out any tire related problems. Roger
Old 03-10-21, 05:04 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
The Big Apples come stock on several Dahons and are an excellent choice and that would be my inclination for replacement, Though I didn't know Schwalbe did the Marathon Plus in that size.