Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Biking with a dog in a basket

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Biking with a dog in a basket

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 02:51 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joey has been on every RAGBRAI that I have been (since 1997) and more...
Old 08-13-05, 04:45 PM
Wind 'N Snow
What icy wind?

Bikes: Cervélo Dual, old Pinarello Montello & older Miyata Alumicross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Bungee cords. And they are reusable too.
Good call, must remember the three ars.
Old 02-08-24, 03:09 AM
0ne

Bikes: Novara, Schwinn, Scott, Motobecane, Trek

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chanel
Hi

Has anybody biked with a doggie in a basket? How do we do this? How do we stabilize the dog so it does not fall off? Any web sites for the basket and/or harnessess, leashes??

Thanks

Chanel
Old post but still relevant. I ride with a 16lb dog so my response will reflect that. I dont think a front basket is a goid place to carry a dog, putting weight that can move around there can and will affect your riding. Using the rear rack is better but i think dogs arent super happy about being in the back, at least in my experience. So whats left, trailers and the BuddyRider. I have and use both. My dog is small so for most rides, she will be in the buddyrider. A dog specific attachment that mounts on your seatpost that your dog rides in. Its positioned over the top tube on between you and the bars, so dog is right in the front, weight is carried over center of bike so you dont really feel it. The trailer i have is a burley tail wagon with a bunch of mods. Burley made some really stupid decisions in their design for a dog trailer so i had to do some work to fix them. Example is the front and rear "gates". Stock trailer, the front/rear gates are fabric, thats it. Very not secure, my dog found this out on first ride. I rebuilt both with Lexan, now they are very secure. The floorboard is coroplast, that's all, no supports just the plastic floor supporting itself. Not comfortable with that so i drilled a 2 holes into each side of the frame and bolted in threaded rods that go all the way to the other side and support the floor from below. The sides and top are also just fabric so i made walls/roof with coroplast and insulation fabric. Its a very robust setup now, my dog uses it when its cold, blankets and a heat pack keep it very comfortable and the walls block the wind.
Old 02-08-24, 06:12 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Must be close to the record for a zombie thread reboot (2005 to 2024). The recent rise in the rate of new posters reviving ancient threads probably reflects AI improvements in search algorithms.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-08-24, 08:55 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/@OmniTierra/videos
Old 02-08-24, 09:08 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Must be close to the record for a zombie thread reboot (2005 to 2024). The recent rise in the rate of new posters reviving ancient threads probably reflects AI improvements in search algorithms.

Got me thinking about getting my 2 hounds out for a ride at least

Now to find a deal on a trailer on marketplace!
Old 02-10-24, 12:29 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Got me thinking about getting my 2 hounds out for a ride
I met this amazing guy and his two amazing cats on the C&O last summer. They rolled into camp with one little man on a front platform rigged up out of a soda crate and one little miss in a rear bag of the longtail. They all snuggled in the tent together through the night. In the morning the little ones got to roam through the forest before their man called them back to camp. Then they all rode off together into the morning light.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Makes sense. I personally quite like rebooted zombie threads and don't enjoy having to sort through five separate threads from different years rehashing the same topic. I know some people get annoyed that there's no indicator that the thread isn't new which leads people to respond to the original post from fifteen years ago. Maybe the default presentation should be changed to show the most recent reply at the top of the page.
Likes For ericoseveins:
Old 02-16-24, 10:17 AM
HopliteGrad
Recreation Ecologist

Bikes: Schwinn Criss Cross (hybrid beater), Nashbar AT-2 disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll jump in on the necro-post!

How we do this with our active, 70-pound Labrador retriever:Overkill? Not for a dog that absolutely loves to run and leap. Also we have a veterinarian in our home so the overkill is probably a point of pride.