Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Norco Valence A1 vs Synapse Disc 5 105

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 09:33 PM
SpiderDad

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 2013 Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crashed my Masi Gran Criterium a couple of months ago and frame is bent. LBS told me I need to stop riding it before it folds on me.

I like to do 3 things on my bike. Commute to work. 16km round trip. Light touring with my wife. No big camping, just two panniers on a rack... which I also take on my commute. And I like to pretend I'm young and go on training rides.

The Masi worked out quite well for all 3, but I think the 60cm was too small for me... I'm 6'5", 200lbs and I was getting lower back pain after about 50-70 km on my training rides. The LBS doesn't have any more 60cm Masi Gran Criterium frames so simply replacing the frame isn't an option. And as much as I liked the bike. I do believe I was fitted wrong and it's too small.

So now I'm thinking N+1. Another shop has a Argon 18 carbon frame that I can take all my 105 components from the Masi and put on to that.

Which leaves me with finding a winter commuter, light touring bike. It must be able to have a rack, panniers, and fenders for the liquid sunshine that we get all winter here in Vancouver. The disc brakes on the Synapse are appealing considering all the rain here.

I need a relaxed geometry. I have to be more upright than I was on the Masi. I do not want straight bars. I don't want lower than a 105 groupset. I like to be as quick as I can, but at 52, I'm in no danger of challenging Contador. Comfort and endurance over pure speed... but I do like to go as fast as I can. Working hard but going slow isn't that fun for me.

So I've done a lot of searching and I like the geometry of these two bikes. I've been told I need a minimum of a 200mm headtube. I'm pretty sure my height is mostly in my legs, so the reach is important too. I haven't ridden either of these bikes. They're both around $1300 and I'd rather not pay more than that.

Synapse

Valence A1

Looking for feedback, reviews, or any other suggestions.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by SpiderDad; 09-15-14 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Forgot something!
Old 09-16-14, 09:25 AM
SpiderDad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of views...no replies.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-14, 11:41 AM
Igualmente

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can only suggest that you check the tire width you can run with fenders and racks on those. Are you limited to 25mm? Will that matter to you?

The Jamis Xenith Endura has a tall head tube, but to get 105 components you have to get a model that is probably at least a couple hundred dollars more than your price. It will accommodate 28mm tires with fenders, or so I saw them claim. I have one, but it is the Sport model, so not 105 components. Don't think the Raleigh Revenio 3 will be cheap enough either, and not sure about rack/fender mounts on it. The Giant Defy may not be made large enough.

EDIT: see 2 comments below

Last edited by Igualmente; 09-16-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 01:06 PM
SpiderDad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the 25m tires that I currently run... but maybe not so much in winter! That's a good point about tire width if I need to go bigger during the crap weather. I've looked at Defy, but I seem to get better bang for the buck with two I've listed. I'll check out the Raleigh and the Jamis. Thanks!
Old 09-16-14, 01:57 PM
Igualmente

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I stand corrected... there is a 56 cm Revenio 3.0 at my LBS that is normally $1300 and now $1150 (this in Ontario). Has 105 shifters and some rear mounting points. Perhaps there is a 60 cm or a 62 cm out there (the 62 has a 230mm headtube!).
Old 09-16-14, 02:19 PM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
if in canada you may be able to get last years devinci silverstone at a discount... they have rear mounts for racks and come with tiagra/105 mix at 1300 before discount. if between the two i would personally choose the synapse, but pick which ever rides better to you.
Old 09-16-14, 03:46 PM
SpiderDad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The description of the revenio sounds perfect.... although I can't find the geometry link. Old man... bad eyesight I guess. I'll call around for a price.

I'll look into the Silverstone too.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!!
Old 09-21-14, 07:16 PM
warpdrive

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 4.5, Brompton S6L

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the Synapse is my commuting bike. Works as advertised. The polished finish of the 5 disc 105 model is striking, if your store has it in stock, it would be my first choice (and it wouldn't show dirt as much when dirty)

The brakes are one of the weaker disc brakes I've used, I might swap them out for some Avids or TRP HYRDs later. The wheels are pretty heavy especially because they are disc, so this isn't a bike you'll want to tackle any sort of hilly terrain, but for commuting, it's smooth and forgiving, more so than other "comfort" aluminum bikes I tried (Specialized, Giant Defy (pre 2015)).
Old 09-21-14, 07:28 PM
kevgoldb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from a century with my 2-week old Synapse 5 105 disc. I love it- granted its only been two weeks but I am so happy I spent the money. (Keep in mind i'm coming off a Trek 1200)
Old 09-22-14, 01:48 PM
SpiderDad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the synapse on the weekend. It was pretty comfortable... it definitely needs to be tweaked for my gangly limbs, but the LBS is convinced that they can make it work for me. The disc brakes weren't as good as I was expecting, but I've been reading that it can take time to break in the pads. My Masi was crap in the rain, so these must be (hoping!) better. It's raining today... and will probably continue for the next 6 months so I'm hoping the discs will work great in the slop.

I liked the synapse over the valence. And I really liked how it climbed...It surprised me. I felt like I was riding up a hill as opposed to working against the hill. I'm going to buy the black one. I didn't like the silver finish of the one I rode. I showed the specs to a guy with way more knowledge than me, and he said it was good bang for the buck... and for me to buy it if it was comfortable.

I haven't had a chance to try any other bikes than these two.... Just about impossible to find a bike in my size. Unless I'm willing to wait a month, or months, for the 2015's to show up... and I'm not willing to wait.

So it looks like I'll have a flash new ride in a day or two!

Thanks for the input, and for the input about the brakes. I hadn't thought about an upgrade there. Maybe the LBS can do it right away.