Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rara Avis

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rara Avis

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-18, 12:28 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Rara Avis

In the 10+ years I've been bike commuting it's been pretty rare for me to come in contact with other riders. I've seen others out riding before, but they were usually going in different directions and in the course of a week I'll see a handful of others riders. It's usually me and the cars/geese/old people shuffling down the bike path etc.... But last night as I was waiting at this light (and I usually do end up waiting there) another bicyclist rode up and stopped next to me. I can't remember the last time that happened, and to make it even rarer the other rider was even an attractive woman. It may be another 10+ years until that happens again!
Old 09-28-18, 01:00 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Same here. I rarely see other cyclists on my route, let alone attractive ones, let alone women.
Old 09-28-18, 02:01 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Write it down, man. Memories ... :-)
Old 09-28-18, 02:40 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
After 10 years of commuting 2-3 days per week I think I average less than twice a year where I line up at the light with another cyclist, almost always a roadie guy. Probably have only lined up with a commuter 1-2 times through all that.
Old 09-28-18, 03:00 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Same here. I rarely see other cyclists on my route, let alone attractive ones, let alone women.
No kidding, and to top it off she spoke to me!
Old 09-29-18, 02:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Rara Avis
Originally Posted by no motor?
In the 10+ years I've been bike commuting it's been pretty rare for me to come in contact with other riders. I've seen others out riding before, but they were usually going in different directions and in the course of a week I'll see a handful of others riders. It's usually me and the cars/geese/old people shuffling down the bike path etc....

But last night as I was waiting at this light (and I usually do end up waiting there) another bicyclist rode up and stopped next to me. I can't remember the last time that happened, and to make it even rarer the other rider was even an attractive woman.

It may be another 10+ years until that happens again
!
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Originally Posted by RoadKill
After 10 years of commuting 2-3 days per week I think I average less than twice a year where I line up at the light with another cyclist, almost always a roadie guy.

Probably have only lined up with a commuter 1-2 times through all that.
I previously posted about about the active persons I encounter on my early AM weekday commute on the streets and MUPS:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have on occasion posted this observation about gender specific exercise from my early morning commute (~6-7AM) from downtown Boston to a suburb:
... on my daily commute, it seems that female joggers outnumber males by a large margin, at least 5 to 1, if not as high as 10 to 1.
Among the cycling commuters that I see I would say the men outnumber the women by a greater ratio, [at least 5 to 1, if not as high as 10 to 1] though in much fewer numbers, maybe about one cyclist for every 40-50 runners.

My estimates of joggers and cyclists are a general observation made over the seasons, though I do “guesstimate” the gender during the cold weather.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-29-18 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-29-18, 05:52 AM
Jim from Boston

I previously posted about about the active persons I encounter on my early AM [~6-7 AM] weekday commute on the streets and MUPS:
Regarding the frequency of cyclist encounters, a very rough estimate would be about three to five per day over 14 miles outbound into the suburbs from downtown at that early hour. Most occur, about up to five per day on the first three miles, passing a couple colleges and a major Medical Center, much on a well-used MUP; and one or two beyond that.

Nearly all are oncoming cyclists on my reverse commuting route.

IMO Boston has a very active commuter cycling community. We have posted to these threads:
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
More Bike Commuters?

On my side of Boston coming from Arlington, in many areas along my route the number of bikers is definitely generally increasing. In this nicer weather our numbers are seemingly reaching some sort of critical mass where the bikers may control the negotiations with the cars at points (multiple bikers taking over a lane at a stop light for instance).

It's nice to see so many intelligent and attractive people on the road enjoying themselves, and chat with some every now and then along the way.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Interesting description of the people you like to see riding bikes. Do you care to expound on what are the characteristics that make some bicyclists appear to be "intelligent and attractive"?
Aren't regular bike commuters intelligent and attractive by definition?
…(Boston is known, besides Beantown, as the Hub [of the Universe] )

Sample bias
Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?

From my experience as a commuter and weekend road cyclist, I would say it has increased in Metro Boston. More specifically, back in 2011, I was able to post about progress....and it continues today.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-29-18 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-30-18, 07:07 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
With the college students in town, certain commuting segments are practically a mob scene around Boston/Cambridge. Independent of time of day, I would say that the M/F ratio for people who look like work commuters is about 4/1. For the younger people who are bopping about in town, the ratio is more like 3/2. One thing I have noticed is that there are more women commuters dialing-in their setups for the colder season: Fitted shells/softshells, good lighting and panniers, full fenders etc. It's a better look than my geeky unmatched attire.

Regarding the frequency of cyclist encounters, a very rough estimate would be about three to five per day over 14 miles outbound into the suburbs from downtown at that early hour. Most occur, about up to five per day on the first three miles, passing a couple colleges and a major Medical Center, much on a well-used MUP; and one or two beyond that.

Nearly all are oncoming cyclists on my reverse commuting route.

IMO Boston has a very active commuter cycling community. We have posted to these threads:

Last edited by Archwhorides; 09-30-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 06:45 AM
Jim from Boston

With the college students in town, certain commuting segments are practically a mob scene around Boston/Cambridge. Independent of time of day..
Hi @Archwhorides,

Thanks for that embellishment about the active Boston cycle-commuting scene, since my experience is limited to an early outbound commute. In the nicer weather when I extend my early AM commute into such well-regarded cycling towns, as Needham and Dover, I frequently encounter individual roadies, and pacelines out training.

I previously posted in 2011 about the in-town improvements that benefitted cycle commuting:
…One of the big changes in the Boston cycling scene over the past couple years has been the interest that Mayor Menino has taken in bicycling, and he has appointed a bike czar, introduced several cycling lanes in those above-mentioned areas in the heart of the city, and instituted a bicycle sharing system, called “Hubway,” particularly centered in the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods.

(Boston is known, besides Beantown, as the Hub [of the Universe]

During the last couple years of his term as longest-serving mayor (1993-2014), I used to hope to encounter him as I rode though his neighborhood in Hyde Park.

Just last night we had long term friends visiting us from a Midwestern City which shall remain anonymous, They are vehemently anti-cyclist with the strong opinion that bike do not belong on the road, only on MUPS, and even disliked bike lanes. It was a friendly conversation nonetheless.

The only argument that they would grudgingly accept from me is that as a destination-oriented cycle-commuter, for the most part, MUPS don’t go anywhere useful.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-01-18 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 10:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
One of these days, I'll figure out how to take videos on my bike and edit them. My commute seems unusual compared with those of many here. I might see hundreds of bike commuters every day. Bike commuting is really growing fast in some cities.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-18, 06:44 PM
Jim from Boston

...I previously posted in 2011 about the in-town improvements that benefitted cycle commuting...
For completeness sake to further describe the Boston Commuter Cycle Scene, I would add these accoutrements:
…the Transportation Authority (MBTA) allows bikes on subways and commuter trains with certain restrictions and that's a nice way to get out of town without city riding. MBTA > Riding the T > Bikes on the T

See also this post about local bikepaths / MUPS in the City of Boston proper, and nearby…
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL [Living Car Free / Car Light] in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities

Location, location, location