Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How about enjoying the MUP

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 01:42 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

We have seen several threads and comments about how bad MUPs are. How about one on the positive things.

First on MUPs you probably will not encounter high speed autos. Often they are quite scenic and often tree covered. You get to see many interesting people, bikes, and dogs. Now and then you will see an old couple walking hand in hand supporting each other. After all they are multi use, so you probably will encounter many sights. Relax and enjoy your ride.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-13-20, 02:05 PM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
I have actually found myself doing just that lately.

I find it's especially nice when I want to ride with a budy. We can ride two-a-breast and chat without worry of getting honked at/harrrassed or hit. Also nice to be able to hear what your friend is saying without having to yell over traffic.

People can get pretty annoying sometimes, but that can happen on the road too.

I also find myself using the MUP to finish rides started on the road. When I'm completely exhausted and not thinking clearly, I feel much safer on the path. I made a really dumb decision a bit ago when severely-drained on the road and could have very-well been hit.
Old 06-13-20, 02:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Do you have a calendar app that reminds you when it's time to re-post this? It could use a tweak....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-13-20, 02:19 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Thumpers mother said if you cant say a something nice dont say any thing at all.
Old 06-13-20, 02:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
I have actually found myself doing just that lately.

I find it's especially nice when I want to ride with a budy. We can ride two-a-breast and chat without worry of getting honked at/harrrassed or hit. Also nice to be able to hear what your friend is saying without having to yell over traffic.

People can get pretty annoying sometimes, but that can happen on the road too.

I also find myself using the MUP to finish rides started on the road. When I'm completely exhausted and not thinking clearly, I feel much safer on the path. I made a really dumb decision a bit ago when severely-drained on the road and could have very-well been hit.
I’ve seen statistics where you are far more likely to have an accident on a MUP than on the road, but more likely to get killed on the road.

I like MUP’s

When they are empty of newbie cyclists as we see in vast numbers currently, when they are also free of runners wearing headphones and paying zero attention to their surroundings, multiple Mom’s with friends walking multiple baby carriages 2-3 abreast, or dog walkers with the retractable 20 ft. leash with dog fully extended chasing a duck.

Sometime in late Sept. or October in these annoyances go away.
Old 06-13-20, 02:39 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
MUP riding is the most stressful thing that I do. Cyclists and peds in general are more oblivious, careless and unpredictable than drivers. We have a great path system here, but on weekends it is a minefield of hyperactive small dogs on long leashes, large free-range dogs, kids on bikes and scooters, self-absorbed peds who will turn or stop on a dime as if for hallucinations, groups completely corking the path and gesticulating to each other (a.k.a: the Coffee Clatch), etc.

Most solo adults are listening to earbuds, and even if you call out your intent ("passing on the left!"), most cannot hear you, and if they can, more than 50% will then respond by jumping to their left.

The last 2 months has been particularly scary with a bunch of new inexperienced cyclists out. Fortunately there has also been a marked reduction in road traffic, but that is coming back. I figure as things get back to 'normal', bike traffic will dramatically drop-off, with adults and teens settling back to hanging out in the bars and malls, and kids reverting back to playing ultra-violent video games. Should be a lot of used bikes for sale. Right now you cannot buy any bike for less than a Grand; shops are cleaned out.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 06-13-20, 04:00 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
MUP riding is the most stressful thing that I do. Cyclists and peds in general are more oblivious, careless and unpredictable than drivers. We have a great path system here, but on weekends it is a minefield of hyperactive small dogs on long leashes, large free-range dogs, kids on bikes and scooters, self-absorbed peds who will turn or stop on a dime as if for hallucinations, groups completely corking the path and gesticulating to each other (a.k.a: the Coffee Clatch), etc.

Most solo adults are listening to earbuds, and even if you call out your intent ("passing on the left!"), most cannot hear you, and if they can, more than 50% will then respond by jumping to their left.

The last 2 months has been particularly scary with a bunch of new inexperienced cyclists out. Fortunately there has also been a marked reduction in road traffic, but that is coming back. I figure as things get back to 'normal', bike traffic will dramatically drop-off, with adults and teens settling back to hanging out in the bars and malls, and kids reverting back to playing ultra-violent video games. Should be a lot of used bikes for sale. Right now you cannot buy any bike for less than a Grand; shops are cleaned out.
Get a light and do it at night
Old 06-13-20, 04:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Subscribed...
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-13-20, 04:07 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Before I gave up riding on rail-trails aka MUPs around here, my buddy and I when riding abreast of each other had many close calls with racing bicyclists who tried to either blast through between us, or pass dangerously close. That's not to mention the idiot e-bike e-scooter riders who haven't a lick of sense and will also try to pass way to close. Add to that blind curves, or blind corners and a wannabe racer or high-speed e-biker coming from the other direction; plus dog walkers with dogs on long thin extended retractable leashes that let the dog go into the brush on the side opposite the walker and you are likely to be clotheslined; well those paths just aren't safe. YMMV and good luck to you if it does.

Cheers
Old 06-13-20, 04:12 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I don't have problems with the rail/trails or the road. I must be weird.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-13-20, 04:38 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19

I have a simple philosophy about the trails: If you ride them, deal with the issues. If you can't deal, shut up and ride somewhere else.

But I really do like the weekly/monthly rants by the trail haters. They are more fun to read than the Sunday comic page.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 06-13-20, 05:05 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Was at the local MUP today-but not on the paved path-was back in the woods on the mtn.bike/hiking trails. Other riders as well as hikers were very courteous. When i have ridden the paved paths, haven't had any problem there either. Miss the many rail trails I used to ride when lived in the Md/Pa area. Wouldn't ride them during "peak" periods (weekends or after work hours), so missed a lot of the "pia stuff" that gets mentioned.
Old 06-13-20, 05:10 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Thanks! I sometimes forget to enjoy the mup

It's a great place to walk my dog on the extend o leash while I listen to my headphones!
The other day I saw a hobo going #2 on the mup! He was enjoying it in his own way
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 06-13-20, 05:27 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
We are considered the intrusion either place unfortunately. Too slow for the road, too fast for the MUP. Cycling is the perfect realization we are all just guests on this planet. Behave accordingly.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-13-20, 05:28 PM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
There are 3 MUP's within 30 minutes of home. All of them are great and have nice people walking, jogging, riding and co-existing without any issues worth complaining about. Everyone seems to respect each others space and preference for their use of it. Much more safer than the open road in my experiences.
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 06-13-20, 05:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Thumpers mother said if you cant say a something nice dont say any thing at all.
You should follow her advice.
Old 06-13-20, 05:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Not every trail is alike. I’ve ridden trails in various parts of the country and in foreign countries with few or no other users at the time. I’ve also to pull off trails into the grass to avoid collisions with inconsiderate users. You wouldn’t have a problem with the latter? If not, then yes; you must be weird.

As for roads, I’m willing to bet that if you are ever hit by a car despite riding safely and legally you’ll have a problem with it, and it won’t be weird.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-13-20 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 06:30 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
It really depends on how busy the MUP is. When empty they are fantastic! When busy, I hit the streets. And then I suppose it matters how busy the streets are.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-13-20, 06:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
We have seen several threads and comments about how bad MUPs are. How about one on the positive things.
One of my favorite spots.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-13-20, 07:27 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, there is just one MUP in my area which is a converted rail ROW (not particularly scenic) and when I am on it (weekday afternoons) very few, often no one else on it. It has a few strava segments, and there's no reason not to challenge them. The MUP parallels the main drag, and in the afternoon rush riding the hwy pretty much sucks as there isn't enough room to filter up the right and there's many lights so once past the light traffic tries to gun it just to get stuck at the next light.

A couple years ago there was a problem of homeless bums living along the MUP and blocking it with their shopping carts and other crap, but finally the city moved them out. (The problem was the land on one side of the MUP was owned by US Navy and the bums found that if they stayed on the navy side the city couldn't touch them, but eventually the city and navy got an agreement that the city could clear them out.)

scott s.
Old 06-13-20, 08:04 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Usually I only use the local MUP if it's helpful to get somewhere. Today though, I planned a route that included the MUP but then took a detour after I got there, when I saw a couple people on it. It's just not worth the bother to me if I can take a different route. The one I've been referring to is probably only 12 feet wide so, too much "On your left!" required to use it.
Old 06-13-20, 08:40 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
One of my favorite spots.
A bit seaweed laden but that is really nice. Here in Nevada picture something similar only take out the trees, take out the seaweed, take out the water, take out the shade, add some sand, some sagebrush, some rocks, more sagebrush...
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-13-20, 08:46 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
MUPS in SoCal are more like cycling freeways and have the typical congestion near the beaches. Most of my MUP riding these days is to use it to get to the foothills/canyons. Less of everything makes for a happy MUPSTER.
Old 06-13-20, 10:15 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
Or joggers who run in the wrong direction, or right down the middle line, or cyclists who ride two abreast, over the line, and expect the single rider coming in the other direction to cede the road, or dogs off leash and the owners don't even try to control it.
Joggers SHOULD run the opposite direction, it's safer for both parties that way. Never had any issues with salmoning walkers/joggers. On our path the ones who do that give way and you don't even have to call a pass or go into the oncoming lane.
Old 06-13-20, 10:36 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

This is my MUP. Share it with mostly big green steel animals. Sometimes with as many as eight wheels. Other than that, it’s just the occasional roadkill and maybe a car. All depends how far in the sticks I go.
Likes For Ilbiker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.