Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have an older (2009-2010) Specialized stem like this (multi-stem)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does anyone have an older (2009-2010) Specialized stem like this (multi-stem)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 05:18 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Does anyone have an older (2009-2010) Specialized stem like this (multi-stem)?

Haven’t installed, and looking for advice on how this works with the slotted cap and the bolt + washer. I think these were on Specialized bikes around 2009 or 2010. This is the multi-stem that has shims that will allow you to change the stem angle.

Old 10-10-20, 06:19 PM
sour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have (2) in the basement which we took off of Speicalized bikes we purchased in 2010. Basically, the shim goes on the steerer tube. Rotate the shim to get the stem degree desired. Put the stem on the shim/steerer tube and tighten everything up. The ones we have do -16, -8, 8, 16 degree (I think) depending upon how the shim is set and if the stem is pointed up or down.
Old 10-10-20, 10:04 PM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by sour
I have (2) in the basement which we took off of Speicalized bikes we purchased in 2010. Basically, the shim goes on the steerer tube. Rotate the shim to get the stem degree desired. Put the stem on the shim/steerer tube and tighten everything up. The ones we have do -16, -8, 8, 16 degree (I think) depending upon how the shim is set and if the stem is pointed up or down.
Thanks for responding! My real question is about the top cap and the slot. Is the washer also supposed to help cover the rest of the gap? I‘m guessing the slot is supposed to allow the bolt to stay perpendicular to the star nut, but it also looks like a serious path for water and sweat. Is there a cover for the slot?
Old 10-11-20, 04:53 AM
sour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Is the washer also supposed to help cover the rest of the gap? ... Is there a cover for the slot?
Unfortunately, the version I have utilized a different top cap with a hole just big enough for the bolt. I would assume that there would be something to cover, but not sure. You could probably use some tape over the slot.
Old 10-11-20, 07:45 AM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by sour
Unfortunately, the version I have utilized a different top cap with a hole just big enough for the bolt. I would assume that there would be something to cover, but not sure. You could probably use some tape over the slot.
Thanks, I think I've seen the version you have. Maybe called an eccentric top cap? I've seen one that looks like a mag wheel, and another that looks like a regular top cap, but with +/- symbols on it, but yet to find one that looks like what I have. This is a new bike take off stem, but I guess it's been sitting around for awhile. I haven't even tried to mount it, but when it arrived it came with the cap but not the bolt or the specialty washer. Because the ID of the clamp is a little larger than standard (in order to make room for the shim) I don't think a standard top cap will work, even if I use the shim that doesn't change the rise. I set a standard top cap on it and it didn't fit (too small in diameter). If I can't source a bolt and washer for it I'll probably just return it. Since nobody seems to have ever seen one, I'm wondering if it was a design that Specialized toyed with briefly and then abandoned.

Last edited by Plainsman; 10-11-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-13-20, 07:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
You are correct, the stem cap is slotted to allow the angle to adjust. And it's fine that it's a bit open. Even with a perfectly round hole, it's not a water tight seal and water can still get in.

If you find yourself riding in a lot of rain, it may be worthwhile to remove the cap and flip the bike over to help it drain.
Likes For topflightpro: