Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gravel Riders Rejoice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gravel Riders Rejoice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 09:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
For the record, I would rock their 3/4 sleeve Bad News Bears shirt if it cost $25. It is cut moderately close and has rear pockets, so I would use it for when I ride with my kids on road rides or singletrack. But at over 4x that, Ill stick with the generic drytech charity ride shirts I usually grab.
One of the reasons that I like even non-cycling apparel from cycling apparel companies is the slimmer cut - I'm certainly not rail thin, but it's still hard to find stuff that doesn't cater to the two-Big-Macs-for-lunch crowd. And, as previously noted, I really like road cycling rear pockets - they're just handy. But yeah - these particular examples are too expensive for me to justify (but I am going to try to check in on that hoodie to see if I can catch it on sale).
Old 10-21-20, 09:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yawn. You're reaching. They sell two "jerseys," the checked one being slightly more expensive, and one glorified technical t-shirt.

You're awfully invested in the fashion choices of others, though... it could be argued that you protest too much.
Hey, I totally support you buying this stuff. Post pics when you do.
Old 10-21-20, 09:40 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Hey, I totally support you buying this stuff. Post pics when you do.
My IG following is going to love it, but the hoodie is the only item of realistic interest within this collection. They do have a few other pieces that I really like, though.
Old 10-21-20, 09:44 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
To an aero road bike? There's no way you're giving up that much, not for a similar rider position.
For comparison's sake, I was riding next to a guy on a SystemSix with aero helmet (EvadeII). Tour magazine tested the SystemSix at 203w (dummy legs only, so it doesn't account for position, we'll assume that everyone at the front of the pack had a good, low position). They don't test gravel bikes, but the Giant TCR tested at 227w. I would have to think that my Giant Revolt is a bit less aero than the TCR, but even if it were the same, that's 24w, but it's def more, given the shape of the fork and considering my road wheels are a shallow wheelset with 32mm tires. Then my Mojito vs EvadeII, most data shows the Evade to be about 10w faster than a standard road helmet. So, minimum 34w just on bikes/helmets, I wear a pretty tight kit, so not much improvement to be had there, short of a skin suit and shoe covers, but he was wearing a regular well fitting road kit also.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out that I am leaving a decent amount of speed on the table with my gravel bike, just thankful that I have the power to make up for it. lol
Old 10-21-20, 09:59 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
For comparison's sake, I was riding next to a guy on a SystemSix with aero helmet (EvadeII). Tour magazine tested the SystemSix at 203w (dummy legs only, so it doesn't account for position, we'll assume that everyone at the front of the pack had a good, low position). They don't test gravel bikes, but the Giant TCR tested at 227w. I would have to think that my Giant Revolt is a bit less aero than the TCR, but even if it were the same, that's 24w, but it's def more, given the shape of the fork and considering my road wheels are a shallow wheelset with 32mm tires. Then my Mojito vs EvadeII, most data shows the Evade to be about 10w faster than a standard road helmet. So, minimum 34w just on bikes/helmets, I wear a pretty tight kit, so not much improvement to be had there, short of a skin suit and shoe covers, but he was wearing a regular well fitting road kit also.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out that I am leaving a decent amount of speed on the table with my gravel bike, just thankful that I have the power to make up for it. lol
And these were tested at speeds sustainable by solo, mere mortal riders? 'Cause I'm still not buying it. I would *love* if I could save 30-40w with a new (road) bike and helmet, but I think that's pipe dream stuff.
Old 10-21-20, 10:09 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Quit beating around the bushes and say what you mean.

Everyone should earn exactly as much money as I earn, wear what I wear, be my age, be my BMI, live where I live, be born where I was born to parents of my parents' heritage, enjoy the same hobbies in exactly the same way as I, and have the perfect balance of humility and pride, just like me.

Exceptions granted for people to have less, if they get out of my way, don't expect more than a 12% tip, and understand when I belittle them I'm just joking.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-21-20, 10:19 AM
Rides4Beer

And these were tested at speeds sustainable by solo, mere mortal riders? 'Cause I'm still not buying it. I would *love* if I could save 30-40w with a new (road) bike and helmet, but I think that's pipe dream stuff.
Tested at 45kph, which is about what we averaged for several laps last night. Solo would be less, but still noticeable. My fastest solo laps on that segment with the gravel bike are almost 2.5kph slower than previous laps on an aero bike with aero helmet and shoe covers, despite my fitness having improved, so should be even faster now on an aero setup.
Old 10-21-20, 10:27 AM
WhyFi

Tested at 45kph.
So 28mph for 'Mercans. Yeah, no - not a real world 30-40w savings.
Old 10-21-20, 10:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

The mythical personas which the target audience of this gravel line desperately wishes to emulate don’t care about watts.

Do you think either of these characters -were they real - would have a power meter?

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-21-20 at 11:17 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-21-20, 11:06 AM
Rides4Beer

So 28mph for 'Mercans. Yeah, no - not a real world 30-40w savings.
Real world for me, since as I mentioned, that's about what we averaged last night (26.7mph to be exact, so maybe a few watts less at that speed, but still significant, even in a group, still have time up front and breakaways/sprints). Like everything, it may or may not be worth it to some people, just depends on your riding. For me, just helps me decide that my next bike will be full aero, while keeping the gravel bike for easy road rides, and of course gravel.
Old 10-21-20, 11:22 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
The mythical personas which the target audience of this gravel line desperately wishes to emulate don’t care about watts.

do you think this guy has a power meter?
Why so serious?

Srly it's just a French cycling co branching into the gravel market. If you know anything about the French approach to outdoor gear design in general it's a non issue. They are comfortable being fashionable and athletic at the same time.

About as desperately reaching as the weekend warriors who dress up in pro roadie kit advertising teams they don't belong to.

There's enough room in cycling for multiple expressions of fashion. Liking what you like doesn't mean having to ridicule others.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-21-20 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-21-20, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Real world for me, since as I mentioned, that's about what we averaged last night (26.7mph to be exact, so maybe a few watts less at that speed, but still significant, even in a group, still have time up front and breakaways/sprints).
Yeah, you averaged that in a pack, which is a different ballgame. In the draft, you're not seeing anything like those savings. Time up front pulling is just going to be moderated by exertion level and rotating off a little sooner. If you're the lead-out or sprinter of your outfit, sure save all the watts you can. For that matter, don't worry about justifying anything - just buy what you want. That said, I understand to the desire to pat oneself on the back for hanging with guys while at a 30-40w disadvantage, but that's feel-good fantasy.
Old 10-21-20, 11:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Voler introduced some gravel clothes last year and it looked pretty much like their regular clothes with maybe an inappropriate pocket or two. Only thing I know about clothing is that it's best not to wear wool jerseys while mountain biking. Otherwise wear what you want. Within reason.
Old 10-21-20, 12:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Why so serious?

Srly it's just a French cycling co branching into the gravel market. If you know anything about the French approach to outdoor gear design in general it's a non issue. They are comfortable being fashionable and athletic at the same time.

About as desperately reaching as the weekend warriors who dress up in pro roadie kit advertising teams they don't belong to.

There's enough room in cycling for multiple expressions of fashion. Liking what you like doesn't mean having to ridicule others.
I am actually not all that serious. I don't think “lumbersexual” and “serious” really go together. I find this pretty amusing, actually.

FWIW I am all for being fashionable while cycling, I enjoy looking fabulous.

But why are they specifying this as the “gravel” collection? How is lumbersexual or awkward 70’s teenager any more Gravel than is is road, urban, or MTB?

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-21-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-21-20, 12:06 PM
Happy Feet

I am actually not all that serious. I find this pretty amusing, actually.

FWIW I am all for being fashionable while cycling,

But why are they specifying this as the “gravel” collection? How is lumbersexual or awkward 70’s teenager any more Gravel than is is road, urban, or MTB?
Rest assured, someone, somewhere, can't understand your fashion choices either. Does it matter?
Old 10-21-20, 12:13 PM
WhyFi

Rest assured, someone, somewhere, can't understand your fashion choices either. Does it matter?
Having the kvetchers post photos of themselves in their full cycling regalia would make for some interesting entertainment. And by that, I mean that it would prolly just be sad.
Old 10-21-20, 12:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

No, it doesn’t.

But then again I am not trying to sell $220 jerseys, $105 deerskin gloves, and $200 baggies.
Old 10-21-20, 01:11 PM
Happy Feet

No, it doesn’t.

But then again I am not trying to sell $220 jerseys, $105 deerskin gloves, and $200 baggies.
An American complaining about French capitalism. As a year to remember, 2020 does not fail to deliver
Old 10-21-20, 01:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

An American complaining about French capitalism. As a year to remember, 2020 does not fail to deliver
I am not complaining, I am laughing.

But I’m not laughing at Cafe du Cycliste. No, they played this one well. This line of clothing is absurd, but folks may still buy it.

I am laughing at the people who would spend $500 in order to look like they are wearing $75 worth of workman’s clothes.

Not as silly as the hundreds of dollars some folks spend on torn jeans with simulated oil stains.... but along the same lines.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-21-20 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-21-20, 01:38 PM
Happy Feet

I am not complaining, I am laughing.

But I’m not laughing at Cafe du Cycliste. No, they played this one well. This line of clothing is absurd, but folks may still buy it.

I am laughing at the people who would spend $500 in order to look like they are wearing $75 worth of workman’s clothes.

Not as silly as the hundreds of dollars some folks spend on torn jeans with simulated oil stains.... but along the same lines.
That's a pretty good comparison. I have a teenage daughter and can't understand half of what she does. But... I also know that my parents did not get my bell bottom jeans, headband and aviator glasses either. "What's wrong with a good crew cut"!!!
Old 10-21-20, 01:39 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I am sorry if I have offended all those folks in this thread who are planning to buy that $222 faux flannel jersey, the $105 deerskin gloves, $200 baggies, or the $108 1970s 3/4 tee shirt.

There are folks here planning to buy this stuff, right?
Old 10-21-20, 03:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I am sorry if I have offended all those folks in this thread who are planning to buy that $222 faux flannel jersey, the $105 deerskin gloves, $200 baggies, or the $108 1970s 3/4 tee shirt.

There are folks here planning to buy this stuff, right?
Possibly anybody who rejoices at the possibility of drooling over high priced European bicycling exotica.
Old 10-23-20, 06:41 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
TBH, I kinda like a lot of their stuff. Seriously considering this jacket:
https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us...olid-navy.html
Old 10-23-20, 07:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Interesting that they dont have their models using helmets. The jaunty and at times ill fitting wool cycling caps are definitely on brand, but its still noticeable when a brand says 17 it to riders wearing helmets for pics.
Old 10-23-20, 07:32 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Interesting that they dont have their models using helmets. The jaunty and at times ill fitting wool cycling caps are definitely on brand, but its still noticeable when a brand says 17 it to riders wearing helmets for pics.
Maybe French folks aren't helmet nazis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.