Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Accessories Do You Have?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Accessories Do You Have?

Old 10-11-20, 08:56 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
  • Helmet- I always wear a helmet.
  • Gloves- I always wear gloves, I get some numbness and nerve pain in my hand and the padding helps.
  • Cycling pants- Pants only? or shorts too. I always use cycling shorts but my average rides are a minimum of 20 miles and I am slow so I spend quite a bit of time in the saddle. I use unpadded tights over my shorts if I want leg coverings for temps below 50 F or leg warmers for temps between 55 and 65 degrees F
  • I use riding jerseys, with the pockets on the back.
  • Shoes - most of my bikes are clipless, so I normally use riding shoes. I have a couple of bikes that have platform pedals, then I try to use a shoe with a stiff sole.
  • Floor pump- Floor pumps, I always pump up my tires before I ride. I don't want pinch flats.
  • Patch kit- I don't plan to get a flat but it happens and when I am 20 miles away from home and my wife is working, it is easier on everyone to fix the flat on the road, normally I use the spare tube first and if I get more than one flat I then use the patch kit. The kits don't include a pump but you need some way to get air into the tube. I carry a small pump and a CO2 inflator. I use the pump to find the leak and put a moderate amount of pressure in the tire. I use the CO2 to top off the tire.
  • Rearview mirror- The mirror that I use are bar end ones.
  • Water bottle mount- how may mounting point are on your bike? I have two on most of my bikes, most "bike" water bottles will fit the water bottle cage.
  • Phone mount- I see bikes that have what looks to be a phone mounted on the handle bars. Not sure if it's a phone or something only fanatical cyclists use, but it would be cool to mount my phone to use My ride or GPS to track my distance
  • Bell- I have bell on a few of my bikes. be careful when purchasing a bell that it will fit on you handlebars.
  • Extra tubes- Keep the extra tube on the bike with you, its a lot quicker and easier to replace a tube when you get a flat than to patch a tube. Make sure that you have removed the item that caused the flat or you will need the patch kit too.
  • Lube/grease- That's a whole different can of worms.
  • Mask- We're not required to wear them while riding in my area, so I don't but I ride in relative unpopulated MUPs. I do have them in my saddle bag incase I stop and encounter someone.
I think you need a saddle bag or a bike bag of some sort to carry all of these items and space to carry quite a bit more, I also carry a couple of energy bars, electrolyte tablets, mini tool, a chain link. And in the fall and spring, a packable jacket.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 10-11-20, 07:33 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
As mentioned the Topeak under saddle bags. I use those size medium. I see a lot of them on group rides and they are quite robust but a tad small. I have a friend that bought a low cost Bell tool bag. It wouldn't stay secure and after two rides it got jammed between the frame and the tire and in the few seconds it took to stop the tire wore a hole into it.

My underseat bags are not 100% waterproof so I put things I don't want to get wet in zip baggies. What you actually carry will be subject to revision based on experience. Not sure if anyone mentioned it but a good idea is to put one of those quick links for fixing chains on a ride, also a spoke wrench.
Old 10-11-20, 07:38 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
  • Helmet- Definitely. Specialized helmets.
  • Gloves- Always. Louis Garneau Nimbus Evo
  • Cycling pants- Aerotech Designs Destination (no silicone leg grippers)
  • Riding Shirt - I like Fox jerseys
  • Shoes - Specialized Rime
  • Stand pump - Topeak Transformer
  • Patch kit - No patch kit. Tubes and Co2 Cartridges
  • Rearview mirror - Hafney
  • Water bottle mount - Enve cage on the down tube, and an arundel looney bin cage (adjusts for ANY size bottle) on the seat tube.
  • Phone mount - Quad Lock
  • Bell - No bell.
  • Extra tubes- Carry two at least.
  • Lube/grease- Rock N Roll Gold
  • Mask- Not while I'm riding. No way.
Old 10-11-20, 07:43 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
As mentioned the Topeak under saddle bags. I use those size medium. I see a lot of them on group rides and they are quite robust but a tad small. I have a friend that bought a low cost Bell tool bag. It wouldn't stay secure and after two rides it got jammed between the frame and the tire and in the few seconds it took to stop the tire wore a hole into it.

My underseat bags are not 100% waterproof so I put things I don't want to get wet in zip baggies. What you actually carry will be subject to revision based on experience. Not sure if anyone mentioned it but a good idea is to put one of those quick links for fixing chains on a ride, also a spoke wrench.
HIGHLY recommend these two:
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ondopack-hydro

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...2-mondopack-xl

One is great in the summer, and the other in winter.
Old 10-11-20, 08:28 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
That's quite a list, but here's my 2 cents.
  • Helmet- I'm not one to spend much on a helmet. $25-$40 gets you more or less the same protection and I do not believe claims of much better air circulation.
  • Gloves- Do I really need them? No, you really don't but I recommend having some.
  • Cycling pants- I use everything from bibs to cargo shorts. Look into mountain bike shorts, which are not aerodynamic but also don't look like you're headed to a time trial.
  • Ditto for any special riding shirt - Best to get some cycling jerseys.
  • Ditto for special shoes - Depends on your pedals (foot retention if any). I've never used anything but sneakers and running shoes on platform pedals. "Stiff sole" isn't the panacea that some make it out to be.
  • Stand pump- I have a controversial opinion on this. I don't think you need one, and I haven't had one in over 12 years. I use an inexpensive electric pump, the kind they sell for car tires. I also have mini-pumps for each bike.
  • Patch kit- Yes, the patches, glue and tire levers. You also need the mini-pump and a small under-seat bag to carry it all. You might as well add a mini-tool.
  • Rearview mirror- strictly optional, not at all necessary
  • Water bottle mount- any old bottle cage works. for 15-20 mile rides I don't bother carrying water, but they're nice to have for longer rides.
  • Phone mount- don't bother
  • Bell- the dorky factor is a feature not a bug. IMO. But definitely not something you actually need if you don't really want it.
  • Extra tubes- Yep, it's convenient to keep on the bike, with your patch kit. Faster and easier to change the tube than to patch one.
  • Lube/grease- Just buy some bike chain lube. It's cheap enough that looking for an alternative is pointless. Any brand works about as well as any other
  • Mask- Suit yourself. I carry one, don't usually wear it on the bike.
This will all cost more than the bike itself lol. Not if you believe my recommendations and use common sense in your purchases.
Old 10-11-20, 09:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
A good helmet is important. The cheap stuff is usually old looks and in some cases is made to barely pass a test. I like something light and comfortable with good ventilation. I don't want the less the same protection. Schwinn isn't testing their helmets to exceed CPSC standards and make it more protective, they are trying to get something cheap to market. Is it better than nothing you bet but you can still get a decent helmet with some features like MIPS for $50 and spend a little more and cut out some weight and maybe add other features.

Gloves are good but with good Ergon grips you will be pretty comfortable assuming you are riding flat bars. I find gloves handy to wipe my nose sometimes and do add comfort on longer rides. I have had a pair of Gore gloves that have lasted me many years and still going (I also have other gloves but those are my favorites)

I prefer cycling bibs they are comfortable and keep everything in better place. I highly recommend them if you want to ride further and more comfortably. Some saddles are quite nice for your bottom but you may still want the benefits of a good pair of cycling shorts or better yet bibs.

Cycling jerseys aren't absolutely needed but being able to carry stuff without it falling out is nice but anything with good moisture wicking will be good. Loose floppy clothes slow you down so the jersey helps.

If you are riding on clipless pedals a good pair of shoes is handy. If not stiff shoes actually are better for cycling but you can ride in anything and be OK.

A pump is important you can use other things but a proper floor/track pump will make it easy and allow you to get a sense of pressure.

New tubes are handier than patches for someone who isn't confident. You might want to practice though before you go out. Plenty of great videos online. My favorite tire levers are Crank Brothers Speedier Levers (protects the knuckles). Plus I have found I get fewer flats when I have plenty of tubes and more flats when I am low or out.

Mirror is a personal choice

Bottle cage and hydration is always important on any ride. The only time I might forgo is on a really short ride to the grocery store or something like that.

I don't really use my phone while cycling and when I do it is paired to a bluetooth speaker and just sits in my jersey's back pocket playing a mix of various music, I let it go on shuffle and done.

Bell can be handy. Saying on your left or right can cause people to move in that direction you want them to get out of. They may also not hear your voice but sometimes a good bell will cut through. My favorite is the original Spurcycle Bell but even an incredibell could work.

A proper bicycle lubricant is helpful to have. Lube regularly and clean your chain with some regularity as well. I prefer a good wax lube as it helps keep my chain cleaner and in dry conditions stays on well. Grease is good as well, Phil Wood is good grease and easy to get and MUSA. It is not a bad practice to grease any metal on metal contact and pull your seat post once and a while to clean and re-grease so it doesn't seize down the line (and same for other components but the seatpost can be the worst offender along with quill stems)

Until COVID-19 is over a mask is what the experts recommend to keep us safe and hopefully lessen the spread. If a bunch of knowledgable doctors and scientists say it is a good idea probably worth it to follow them. However if you are riding away from other people in quieter areas you may not need to wear the mask while cycling all the time. However keep a fresh one in a baggie in case or what I do these days is have a bandanna around the neck for when I see someone in the distance and if I need to stop or am doing grocery shopping (which is pretty much my extent of going out aside from work) then I will have something more substantial.
Old 10-11-20, 11:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhondito
If you plan on riding on any roads, a front and rear light.
if you want to be seen, not to illuminate the road at nights, buy bight LED flashing lights fore and aft, especially in the Fall and Winter with the long shadows. Mine are both extremely light weight, powered by non-rechargeable batteries. They may not be cool, but can be real life savers.

Old 10-11-20, 11:20 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Always a helmet, mine is a Specialized Align.
gloves, fingerless and full finger when the temps get lower.
I wear MEC mountain bike style shorts as I don't like the feel of spandex plus they have pockets
MEC mountain bike style jerseys, made from wicking and breathable material, they have pockets at the back as well.
I have Shimano dual sided SPD pedals, flat on one side that I can wear with ordinary shoes and the other side with SPD cleat equipped MTB style shoes.
I have a floor pump and a frame mounted pump.
I commute and live a block away from The Trek Store so I don't carry a spare tube with me.
I don't use a mirror, I take a quick peak behind me.
I have a bottle cage mounted on the down tube
I have a Merricycle bell on the handlebars.
I have a Bontrager trunk rack with matching trunk bag on the back of the bike.
Bontrager Ion Flare led lights front and back.
Bontrager fenders.
Old 10-12-20, 10:13 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
It's often overlooked that form-fitting clothing also helps with safety - crashing with loose clothing getting snagged on some small protrusion (and Murphy's Law ensures that will happen) can make the injuries far, far worse.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 10-13-20, 08:29 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
What accessories do you have?
Jesus Christ bobble head on the stem and naked lady mud flap.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-15-20, 12:02 AM
Amber1988

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Keep it in my pocket
Tiny but useful tool
Old 10-16-20, 09:26 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
If you're doing any amount of on-road riding, you may want a noisemaker that's louder than just a bell. I'd recommend an AirZound, which is an extremely loud air-horn that can be recharged using simply a bike pump - you can get at least 20 or 30 blasts out of a single charge. I don't use mine at all on pedestrians / other cyclists, but when it comes to getting the attention of drivers of four wheeled, sound resistant vehicles, it can't be beat.

As for a mirror, I'd go for a helmet mounted mirror (that's what I use) particularly if you have drop bars.

One other thing you may want to look into if you're ever planning on riding in the wet is fenders. They'll keep you (and to some extent, your bike) much cleaner than otherwise if you ride in the wet, particularly on roads.

Last edited by The Chemist; 10-16-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-16-20, 09:29 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Loud horn can also deter dogs.
Old 10-16-20, 09:53 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
-Gloves are helmets for your hands.
-Helmets are for when cars tell their driver that you’re an expendable citizen.
-a bell is required by law in some states. I have one on my main bike.
-Cycling pants make you look like you’re not someone who is biking due to a DUI, like you actually pay a significant amount of taxes that keep roads in good condition. I get yelled at by entitled consumers when I bike in jeans/khakis, nobody harasses me when I’m wearing the tights. Except for baristas... they harass me in a kinda good way.
-Wool jerseys wick sweat off of you, polyester jerseys wick sweat of faster but then stink till you wash them, cotton shirts get wet and stay wet.
-I prefer to use a mesh drawstring backpack in lieu of frame/bar bags to carry lunch & normal clothes when I’m in a fast mood and plan on riding standing up a lot. In a relaxed mood frame bags are fine.
-spd shoes and pedals are great for control. Sometimes platform pedals and normal shoes/sneakers are fine.
-spare tubes, frame pump, tire levers, saddle bag big enough for that stuff plus a sweater/jacket
-patch kit and stand-up pump can stay at home.
-fenders. Liquid in the road is not always just water.
-I definitely prefer a bar-end mirror. Cat-Eye is my favorite.
-LIGHTS! you’re sharing the road with people in cars who may be stoned/drunk regardless of the time of day and/or are mostly texting and sorta driving and they’re only looking for 1) their next turn 2) other cars... you want to be as bright as a car. Orange or green shirts don’t count. They’re not looking for that. 1000 lumens minimum front light, 300 lumens minimum rear. Those weak blinky lights are better than nothing, but I still have people Oops-ing when I only use those. Be car-bright, especially in the day time, especially especially on sunny days. Light the whole road. Stay alive.
-mask, yes.

Last edited by hsuBM; 10-16-20 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-16-20, 11:24 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
What I take with me (on me or the bike): Helmet (yes, do get one ), Mirror (OMG I can't believe I ever rode without a helmet mirror. Sooo much better to be able to see behind me in traffic), Bottle Mount ( definitely, a sip at the right time will restore your go-power), Bell (yeah, I don't like saying "on your left" a lot either. I have an "adult" kind of bell that is small and unobtrusive with a flex hammer so I can make a single ping. Does not make me sound like an Ice Cream truck), Multi-tool ( combo folding tool with allen heads, screw driver and a chain tool because things do get loose), MASK (there is still CV-19 out there no matter what you have heard), Lights (if I ride at night, I have removable front and rear units to use), No special bike clothing, just something loose and comfortable to ride in ...this isn't a fashion show, No Gloves, unless it is really cold out and they are to keep my fingers from freezing, No tire repair gear (if I get a flat, I walk to home or get a ride back). I have lots of bike tools, gear and spare parts at home so that's where I prefer to fix things unless we take our bikes on a vacation trip.

The Old Peddler
Old 10-16-20, 12:32 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Originally Posted by hsuBM
-Cycling pants make you look like you’re not someone who is biking due to a DUI, like you actually pay a significant amount of taxes that keep roads in good condition. I get yelled at by entitled consumers when I bike in jeans/khakis, nobody harasses me when I’m wearing the tights..........................
I often think (to myself of course) that I probably pay more in taxes and certainly a lot more in fuel taxes, than most motorists that are "entitled".
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 10-24-20, 12:22 PM
laparks

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regarding the bobble head and mud flap, great suggestion! Where can I purchase this bobble head and mud flap? :-) My bike group will be impressed!
Old 10-24-20, 12:27 PM
laparks

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There have been a few suggestions on this thread to carry CO2 cartridges. Do they 'expire' or become unusable after a while? A friend recently had a flat and found out his cartridge did not work. I always carry 2 cartridges but have not given a thought about them failing. I have wasted several over the years because I didn't know how to properly use them, but I have the expectation they will be ready for me when I need them.

Any ideas?
Old 10-24-20, 02:54 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake." --W.C. Fields
Old 10-24-20, 03:34 PM
Cacti

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by laparks
There have been a few suggestions on this thread to carry CO2 cartridges. Do they 'expire' or become unusable after a while? A friend recently had a flat and found out his cartridge did not work. I always carry 2 cartridges but have not given a thought about them failing. I have wasted several over the years because I didn't know how to properly use them, but I have the expectation they will be ready for me when I need them.

Any ideas?
Excellent question
Old 10-24-20, 03:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Re: CO2 .... my idea is to carry an efficient and powerful mini-pump. The idea of being 20 miles from home on a rainy night when the wife is at work and i have a perfectly good replacement tube installed which I cannot inflate ..... nah, I can pass on that scenario.

Even if you carry a couple cartridges for the quick fill-up, I'd recommend the pump---help a friend, save your own butt.

Also, obviously, check them from time to time, and when you get a new inflater, waste a couple cartridges learning how to use it. Just makes sense.
Old 10-27-20, 08:09 PM
jack1234567

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1. Helmet $300: Giro Aether MIPS Road Bike Helmet, Dual-density EPS Foam Liner, really a helmet expert!
www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8R9FLQ
2. bike phone bag $20: Whale Fall Portable Bike Handlebar Bag, great idea, detachable design, I bet you've never seen anything like it!
www.amazon.com/dp/B08BJBVVH8
Old 10-29-20, 06:17 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
  1. Dual valve cycling mask with carbon filter. Not to get too deep into masks but these masks allow me to safely breathe as best as possible while offering some kind of protection. Yes the masks have valves and due allow some particles to escape and should not be used when in close proximity to anyone or in any medical situation.
  2. I wear a Bell Formula MIPS helmet. I do this because why spend hundreds on an amazing helmet when some helmets are rated for sub 5 years of use and need to be binned after every crash? I am not saying to cheap out on your helmet since it is very important though.
  3. Giro Bravo Gel Gloves. While not 100% needed I do like wearing them especially in the summer when my hands can become pretty sweaty and can slip on the hoods
  4. All my cycling shorts are from Amazon from a brand called XCG. For sub $30 per short it's hard pressed to find a quality pair of padded 4D shorts this good
  5. I actually don't believe in jerseys. I will wear looser fitting shirts with synthetic properties to wick away sweat
  6. For my race bike I run some very entry level Shimano SH-RP1 SPD-SL shoes with Shimano SPD-SL 105 clipless pedals and for my gravel bike just trainers since they have flat pedals
  7. Topeak Joe Blow floor pump
  8. If you plan to do a lot of highway or riding with cars than maybe consider a mirror. They are dorky but no denying they do help safety wise
  9. S/2 ThinkTop carbon bottle cages off amazon for $30. Another area to not overthink and spend too much money on. Sturdy, light, and affordable
  10. Mounts depend on your bike but if you are using a cellphone I highly recommend investing in QuadLock. It does require you to use their proprietary cellphone case but their are pretty awesome either way in terms of protection and feel.
  11. A lot of cyclists will tell you to just shout out or let your freehub spin, just because they hate the idea of a dorky bell, however there is no denying a bell when audible increases safety. If you can fit on on your bike and ride where there is a lot of pedestrians than yes get one. Just know most drivers will not hear a bell.
  12. If you are running a front derailleur on a carbon bike I 100% recommend a K-Edge Pro chain catcher
  13. 3M 2229 mastic tape for chain stay area or areas that might receive impact
  14. 3M VViViD clear Scotchguard paint protector tape. This stuff while not cheap is amazing and will lay a fairly thick layer of clear protection. Great for top tubes or for carbon forks
  15. If you have a titanium bike a 3M 07447 scuff pad is 100% a must
  16. If you winter ride in cold climates a skull cap and decent winter gloves
  17. Topeal Sidekick Wedge Pack (Medium) can fit my wallet, keys, and cellphone if need be
  18. A multitool but also recommend getting a decent torque wrench
  19. Carbon grease and bike grease
  20. I run a basic computer in the Garmin Edge 25 and have a cadence and speed sensor hooked up to it. This is an area where you can wild and spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on computers with sensors or power meters.
  21. Lights Acher USB LED pack of 2. $16 on Amazon. I wear one on the back of my helmet and on attached to my saddle bag.