Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SRAM Force ETAP vs Shimano Ultegra DI2

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 10:16 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts

The set up, technology and ergonomics couldn't be more different. SRAM is certainly more modern.

But what about shift quality and reliability?

Thoughts.
Old 10-27-20, 10:21 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-27-20, 04:06 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Would love to hear from people who have tried both as well.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-27-20, 05:10 PM
Mulberry20

Me too
Old 10-27-20, 06:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
As a shop mechanic I have set up both the eTapp and Di2. I can say with certainty the wireless set up is way, way, way less hassle to install because there are no wires to deal with and no wire connections hidden in the frame to be double and triple checked when the system glitches. Outside of installation and test rides, I have no long term experience using either system, but I do know that I prefer to install the Sram, but do hate the two button ft der shift requirement. Shifting performance of the two is equal without question.
Old 10-27-20, 07:22 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Where were all those posters with broken etap battery clips?....
Old 10-27-20, 07:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Where were all those posters with broken etap battery clips?....
Huh?

I have no problems with mine.
Old 10-27-20, 07:46 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by GlennR
Huh?

I have no problems with mine.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...n+etap+battery

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...n+etap+battery

IIRC there were many more over on RBR BITD.
Old 10-27-20, 07:47 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
for your reading pleasure.....thread link

Old 10-27-20, 07:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I tried both, they are both nice, I went with Di2 on my Domane as I personally like Shimano better, but considering putting Etap AXS on my Emonda as it is not designed for internal routing.

Old 10-27-20, 08:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I suspect user error.
Old 10-27-20, 09:05 PM
Mulberry20

It is all very interesting but the cost of these systems put them in Campy Record territory and not sure either will have the longevity.
Old 10-28-20, 06:53 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
It is all very interesting but the cost of these systems put them in Campy Record territory and not sure either will have the longevity.
People are still using first gen Di2.

As for 'longevity', here in the USA the best thing to do is replace the campag brake shoes and pads...because you'll never find campag brake shoes in the USA at any random bike shop on demand.
Old 10-28-20, 07:03 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I have over 24,000 miles on the original Sram Red eTap and have only replace the batteries once and the chain a number of times.
Old 10-28-20, 07:14 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
When I was looking into it last winter, some people thought eTap shifting a little slower compared to Di2 but went on to say, it didn't make practical difference for them. Some who had objections to SRAM, it usually went in the direction of buying into the whole group set with all implications of it, including longterm ones like eventually replacing parts of it when worn out and such like concerns. I believe it had to do a lot with the power meter built into the crank arms. You can find many Ytube videos on the subject. Those concerns came I think mainly from those who ride the bike in pretty serious way, probably nothing to worry about if you are not racing or doing serious high mileage riding rain or shine. Also Force limits your chainring to smaller size, only Red has bigger rings, but again, those are all things that would concern only pro or very serious riders.

Also read about battery mechanical attachment concerns (that's something I'd look into since I was burned in 1990s with a fancy HP calculator (cost several hundred $, it could plot functions on (for that time) big display, was RPN kind, programmable) that had really %^&*()_ battery enclosure door that busted the first or was it second time I had to replace the battery (and I consider myself mechanically pretty apt person) and made the calculator a dead weight. The battery replacement had to be done within 10 seconds or so, in order not to lose your saved programming content, which time pressure contributed to most folks busting the plastic door, internet was full of complaints and HP wasn't sending out the part if your calc was out of warranty 1yr or so, don't recall the details.
Some people who had access to a milling machine manufactured a solution for their calculator in the form of a neat bracket enclosing the whole calculator body but who has milling machine -> bitter LOL) Makes me mad even today recalling that! If I was still considering SRAM eTap, I'd definitely would check into that issue if it is an issue that is.

Two button for FD shifting... I thought they made it configurable so you don't need to press both levers or buttons to shift front. But perhaps I mistake it for the way it can be set up in two different modes, so you don't shift the FD at all, it takes care of it by itself. I'd love to have that.
I think Di2 is still more universal in the way it can be set up to your liking, but that was some year ago, things may have changed since. But again, it is probably very few people who would find that a minus for SRAM.

Last edited by vane171; 10-28-20 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-28-20, 07:47 PM
Yelbom15

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
It’s definitely a tough one. It’s like asking people what’s better? PlayStation or Xbox. You can tell where that’ll go.

I’m a tech and not saying I know it all because there is so much **** you learn day by day. But, what I can say is that both of them have their ups and downs.

Sram is very user friendly. The AXS is the best thing ever. Download it and do the rest. Update/check battery levels/micro adjust and so forth. That way they’re not coming in constantly. I haven’t had any issues with battery clips. Only thing I’ve seen so far is corrosion issues. No clue why if it’s the riders sweating like hell or not but damn, a lot of it’s pretty bad on all components.

Di2 is aight. I have a lot more issues with them than I do Sram. Only because of the amount of generations and people confused that if one thing breaks, they’ll have to source it themselves because it’s not the latest through out vendors and exc exc. You have to also buy a “wireless box” within the system if you don’t have wireless which annoys a lot of people and annoys me when I have to do their updates and such. Corrosion and durability I’ve seen better with Shimano.

The ride quality I can’t tell at all on road. HOWEVER. The SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS is by far the best thing I’ve ridden for mountain bikes.
Old 10-28-20, 07:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Yelbom15
It’s definitely a tough one. It’s like asking people what’s better? PlayStation or Xbox.
Is that a "thing"?

I never played a video game
Old 10-29-20, 05:31 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I own both and have never had trouble with either system. Never broken an eTap battery in 10,000 miles, but I did have a wire come loose on my Di2 once. Not a big deal, though.

Shift timing-wise, both about same for me.

Old 10-29-20, 08:14 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Shimano will soon have 12 speed models, but probably 2 years away for ultegra. SRAM cranks have only a 13T difference between the rings, which takes away the increased range of the extra sprocket. To overcome that issue, I've used Campy chorus 48/32 cranks with my force axs groups. The 48/10 is like a 53/11. Few people really need a top gear that large. I wanted more low gearing, so I now use a shimano grx 46/30 11 speed crank with a 10-36 cassette. My top gear is still higher than a 53/12. To get a road bike chain line, I used shim washers to move the chain rings left by 2.5mm. No complaints so far.

I read a lot of chain drop complaints with axs, but the FD should not be blamed for all of the problems. Chain drop can be caused by poor FD setup, inadequate ramps and pins on the chainrings and poor shifting techniques. I found the sequential and compensating shift modes annoying and they may contribute to chain drops. I limit my shifts to 2T when holding a lever. I've never had a chain drop with axs.