Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any solutions for keeping sweat off the inside of your sunnies?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 10:34 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Back when I was scuba diving, we'd spit in our masks before a dive to keep the masks from fogging up. Worked like a charm.

For road riding, I am having issues with sweat falling off my brow, hitting the inside of my sunnies, and then causing problems with my vision. Only way I've found to solve the problem is to stop, whip out a cleaning cloth, and give the sunnies a clean.

Just curious to know if anyone has come up with some hacks similar to the scuba mask one at keeping sweat from sticking to the inside of their glasses. Thx.
Old 06-08-20, 10:41 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You can try waxing the insides of the lenses with carnauba. You need to use an additive wax, nothing that cleans or polishes. Beyond that, it's often more effective to redirect the sweat to begin with.

Halo works, Sweat GUTR works, Mission Enduracool skullcaps work. But all do kinda depend on how hot/humid it is, how fast you're moving, and what helmet you're wearing. It's a lot of variables.

A Halo headband is probably the cheapest/easiest, you just have to get used to the sweat running down in front of your ears on long climbs. It feels weird. Having no hair, I lean toward the Enduracool.
Old 06-08-20, 10:53 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
RainX
Old 06-08-20, 11:09 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Here's a simple solution. Stop wearing sunglasses.
I live in sunny Australia and I don't wear sunglasses anymore although when I was younger I wouldn't go anywhere without them and I certainly used to experience what you are talking about.
It can take a little while for your eyes to adjust but once you do you won't miss the sunglasses anymore.
Old 06-09-20, 12:50 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Stop wearing sunglasses......
It can take a little while for your eyes to adjust but once you do you won't miss the sunglasses anymore.
Ever taken a bug to the cornea at 25 mph?
Or a piece of whatever flung up by the tires?
After a few of those events, I prefer to ride with glasses.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-09-20, 06:33 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Wear something to wick away the sweat before it drips onto your glasses, e.g. a headband or "Headsweat®."
Old 06-09-20, 07:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I would NEVER ride a bicycle at any speed without eye protection. I cannot count how many bees have slammed into my sunglasses at +25mph.

I mean, beyond that they're prescription, so if I take them off I can't really see. I also have above average night vision, so the daylight is really bright.

Not wearing eye protection isn't a solution at all.
Old 06-09-20, 07:58 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Halo headband. It has a little rubber piece on the inside that directs the sweat away from the eyes.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 06-09-20, 07:59 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Considering the number of times a bug has hit me in the face or on my sunglasses at speed, I'll continue to wear sunnies thanks.

Regarding re-directing the sweat before it drops on the sunglasses, I do wear a Walz cap under my helmet. It works at keep the sweat off some of the time, but depending on a) the direction of the wind or b) where I look, I find swear might drip down on to the inside of my sunglasses. Good tips/suggestions so far. Thx.
Old 06-09-20, 08:02 AM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I always use a sweatband....they work great....also adds a bit more cushion between head and helmet.
Old 06-09-20, 08:34 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Oakleys sit a little bit beyond the face
Old 06-09-20, 08:47 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
No offense, people, but the people who suggest HeadSweats or something to soak up moisture under the helmet apparently don't sweat, they do good to last an hour without needing a fresh one (as has anything else I have tried). I go through about 3 changes of clothes working outside during the summer, forget about cycling or running. I am going to have to try the wax. Nothing worse than having the vision blurred by sweat on the lens.
Old 06-09-20, 08:54 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I second the Halo headband.

Hour long group rides at good pace and never had an issue with drippage. Longer rides and particularly slower paces tend to defeat it. In those cases I find a stop every once in a while to wring it out to be helpful.

I have utilized a few different types of glasses, and I wish I could recall all their names. Some sets were better than others about not allowing the drip to come inside, by design. I will say that my personal favorite for glasses is the Oakley "blade" variant(s). I don't get drips inside, but the way air moves around them I do eventually get a buildup of droplets that I have to stop and clean out.
By and large if the going is really slow, hot, and sweating a lot I just remove my glasses and park them in my helmet vents.
Old 06-09-20, 08:59 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Back when I was scuba diving, we'd spit in our masks before a dive to keep the masks from fogging up. Worked like a charm.
The dive shops also sell some type of anti fog that you can apply to the inside of the masks. And before anyone suggests, no its not bottled spit.
Old 06-09-20, 09:07 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I live in sunny Australia and I don't wear sunglasses anymore although when I was younger I wouldn't go anywhere without them and I certainly used to experience what you are talking about.
I was riding at speed across a high level bridge one day and a large bug hit my sunglasses with such force that the lens cracked. I dread to think what that would have done if my eye had not been protected by those sunglasses.

Cheers
Old 06-09-20, 09:11 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I always ride with a cycling cap under my helmet. It keeps the sweat out of my eyes, sweat typically drips off the bill of the cap. Also, the cap keeps the sun off my bald scalp.
Old 06-09-20, 09:14 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I was riding at speed across a high level bridge one day and a large bug hit my sunglasses with such force that the lens cracked. I dread to think what that would have done if my eye had not been protected by those sunglasses.

Cheers
TBH, if you are using glasses for ANY vehicular purpose and having lens being cracked by bugs you need to reconsider your purchasing. There are safety standards in place that even many cheap brands of glasses conform to that would not damage in that way. Far too much at stake not to pay attention to one rating.
Old 06-09-20, 09:50 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
TBH, if you are using glasses for ANY vehicular purpose and having lens being cracked by bugs you need to reconsider your purchasing. There are safety standards in place that even many cheap brands of glasses conform to that would not damage in that way. Far too much at stake not to pay attention to one rating.
This was a severe and freak impact. I've never had such an impact again in over thirty more years of bicycling.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-09-20, 11:55 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Pretty bad advice on so multiple levels. First off, UV is very bad for your eyes. It is the leading cause of cataracts for one. Secondly, glasses while riding, either sunglasses, or clear lenses offer wind protection, and protection from foreign objects.

Even with good glasses, you can have issue, though they will be less likely. I got something in my eye on my last bike tour. I had a scratchy eye one night, and removed my contact, and cleaned them, thinking all would be well in the morning. It wasn't. Long story short, I had a scratched cornea, and once at the doctor, I could barely make out the E at the top of the eye chart with that eye. It took two weeks for the vision to clear.

I would not recommend riding without glasses. As for fog, there are glasses cleaner that has an anti-fog built in. Here is one of many: https://www.amazon.com/Eyeglass-Clea...s%2C153&sr=8-4 Here is another: https://www.amazon.com/Jaws-Quick-An...3&sr=8-16&th=1

For sweat, that is difficult. About the only thing you can do is somehow stop the sweat before it gets to the glasses. My helmet does a decent job of stopping the sweat, but some sort of sweatband may be necessary. I tried the Halo, and it works well, but the "gutter" felt a little odd against my forehead. YMMV

Don't use Rainex on glasses, another bad idea.

No product with completely stop fogging, bit they can minimize it.

Last edited by phughes; 06-09-20 at 11:59 AM.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-09-20, 12:23 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
We often overlook the obvious:. Adequate airflow to cool and to evaporate our sweat.

I understand some of you are fast skinnies and pedaling at 25mph. But your sunnies and helmet may be blocking your airflow where you need it.

Next topic: Stopping my balls from sweating! Lol
Old 06-09-20, 12:57 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Standard bandana both with and without a helmet.
Old 06-09-20, 02:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
No offense, people, but the people who suggest HeadSweats or something to soak up moisture under the helmet apparently don't sweat
I beg to differ. Without the Headsweat, I'd get perspiration pouring off my forehead onto my glasses and into my eyes, carrying sunscreen with it, which was very irritating for my eyes. With the Headsweat, I don't have that problem. Yes, it gets soaked with sweat, but that sweat doesn't end up on my glasses or in my eyes, and that's an important benefit in my book.
Old 06-09-20, 02:56 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
use a BUFF head band ... with or without a helmet ... AND don't sweat small inconveniences to your comfort > remember you're biking not LIMO ing
Old 06-09-20, 04:46 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Halo headband or skull cap. Works in the 90F.
Old 06-09-20, 04:50 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I beg to differ. Without the Headsweat, I'd get perspiration pouring off my forehead onto my glasses and into my eyes, carrying sunscreen with it, which was very irritating for my eyes. With the Headsweat, I don't have that problem. Yes, it gets soaked with sweat, but that sweat doesn't end up on my glasses or in my eyes, and that's an important benefit in my book.
Y’all don’t sweat. It may buy me an hour on a good day in summer, but I need to carry several.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.