Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How to avoid getting doored

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How to avoid getting doored

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 01:10 PM
@johnoliva1

Bikes: '94 Litespeed Ultimate, Litespeed SS, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Super Course SS, 81 Panasonic DX2000 chrome, 74 Panasonic Sport modded, 86' Mongoose ATB Chrome modded, 97 Specialized Stumpjumper modded

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Stay away

I don’t know why everyone’s ripping this dude so hard, but I’ll admit you can’t always see into a car. I just stay away from car doors. Shouldn’t be hard in traffic, you can just take up the car lane and no one will care because you’ll be going as fast as they are. And if your able to consistently crank 15 plus mph in a city etc, you should be fine in a car lane anyway. I stay out of most bike lanes for the same fear as I do parked cars...an idiot will emerge...
Old 07-27-20, 01:37 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog
Have any of you been the victim of some thoughtless person who opened the car door into you while you are doing 20 miles per hour?

Here is how to avoid getting doored in heavy traffic.

Watch the head of the motorist that is next to you on your right. Invariably, right before opening their door into you their head position will change.

Typically they will look left seconds prior to opening their door into you. Follow the head, if you see them turning left than chances are good they are going to open their door into you.

So, always keep their head in your peripheral vision. If it turns left you need to be on your brakes prior to them opening the door. Also, stay aware of what is on your left, so that if you need an out and were not on the brakes you can escape. The problem in heavy traffic is you will often have a car a couple of inches away from you on your left, so you can't take evasive action. If you are on your brakes as soon as you see the head turn you should be OK.
First of all, with today's headrests, you usually can't tell if the car is occupied. Second of all: if you're riding next to parallel parked cars and can't be riding far enough away to avoid opening doors, you should SLOW DOWN! When it's dangerous: don't ride 20 MPH.
Old 07-27-20, 08:10 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
A friend was riding his Motorcycle when a car way ahead opened his door right into a large truck. Instantaneous door removal.
Old 07-27-20, 08:21 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Around here, if you ride in the bike lane, you'll get doored. If you widen out of the door zone into traffic, the cars (probably the bus) will hit you, or the driver will have a meltdown and go after you. And either way the cops couldn't care less. YOYO
Old 07-27-20, 09:09 PM
F308

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
To stay out of the door zone, use a mirror. If you know what's behind you, you can swerve out when necessary. It's saved my butt a few times.
Likes For F308:
Old 07-30-20, 09:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have thot about mounting one of those 150 decibel horns on my trike. When a driver pops open the door, and I blow that horn it would be fun watching them scramble out the passenger side window!!!
Old 07-30-20, 02:39 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by @johnoliva1
I don’t know why everyone’s ripping this dude so hard, but I’ll admit you can’t always see into a car. I just stay away from car doors. Shouldn’t be hard in traffic, you can just take up the car lane and no one will care because you’ll be going as fast as they are. And if your able to consistently crank 15 plus mph in a city etc, you should be fine in a car lane anyway. I stay out of most bike lanes for the same fear as I do parked cars...an idiot will emerge...
What part of Queens or Manhattan are you riding in? 15mph isn't going to make you anything other than an obstacle in a car lane...
Old 07-30-20, 03:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I have thot about mounting one of those 150 decibel horns on my trike. When a driver pops open the door, and I blow that horn it would be fun watching them scramble out the passenger side window!!!
Many years ago whilst commuting in Toronto Canada, I mounted a mini-boat-horn next to my brake lever. I also had a very bright light on t he front of the bike. One evening I was zipping along and a fellow went to step off the curb. I tooted that horn and her jumped back. As I passed him I heard him say, "S..t, it was only a bicycle".

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-30-20, 04:50 PM
@johnoliva1

Bikes: '94 Litespeed Ultimate, Litespeed SS, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Super Course SS, 81 Panasonic DX2000 chrome, 74 Panasonic Sport modded, 86' Mongoose ATB Chrome modded, 97 Specialized Stumpjumper modded

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
What part of Queens or Manhattan are you riding in? 15mph isn't going to make you anything other than an obstacle in a car lane...
All over north Queens mostly (Bayside), you should drive me behind me sometime...
Old 07-31-20, 09:41 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

All over north Queens mostly (Bayside), you should drive me behind me sometime...
Ha, I wouldn't trust antsy drivers behind me at 15mph, but that part of Queens is a little different to my area (Astoria/LIC) and Manhattan, so I can imagine that 15mph is fine for the side streets.
Old 07-31-20, 11:34 AM
@johnoliva1

Ha, I wouldn't trust antsy drivers behind me at 15mph, but that part of Queens is a little different to my area (Astoria/LIC) and Manhattan, so I can imagine that 15mph is fine for the side streets.
Its the old "dont give them too much, don't take up too much" road battle. Yeah neighborhoods like yours with tons of tight one ways don't give you many options but to get close to parked cars, so i see what you mean. I try to just stay on big streets with room for everyone if possible and when I cant I either go slow next to parked cars or hold up a middle finger at 13mph lol. Cheers, see you out there!
Likes For @johnoliva1:
Old 07-31-20, 01:13 PM
robertorolfo

Its the old "dont give them too much, don't take up too much" road battle. Yeah neighborhoods like yours with tons of tight one ways don't give you many options but to get close to parked cars, so i see what you mean. I try to just stay on big streets with room for everyone if possible and when I cant I either go slow next to parked cars or hold up a middle finger at 13mph lol. Cheers, see you out there!
Yep, it's a constant struggle here where 'staying out of the door zone' is simply unrealistic in some situations. But I always slow down if that is the case, keeping the brakes covered.

So what's with the Yankees stuff? Aren't you in the heart of Mets country?
Old 08-01-20, 05:32 AM
dlm2182

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride as though you're invisible to cars!
Old 08-01-20, 10:40 AM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
There was a video posted somewhere on one of these forums that showed a bicyclist in the door zone get hit by an opening car door, get thrown under a truck and then run over by said truck. The truck driver had no way of knowing a bicyclist had been knocked under his truck. the result? One very dead bicyclist! Stay OUT of the door zone if you want the best chance of NOT being doored.

Cheers
DITTO!!
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Stay OUT of the MOTORIST zone if you want the best chance of NOT getting run over by a MOTORIST.

Skål

-mr. bill
Might as well, just ride o the sidewslk, with that kind of thinking. You must love. Riding in the door zone.
Old 08-01-20, 02:23 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Chistophe516
DITTO!!

Might as well, just ride o the sidewslk, with that kind of thinking. You must love. Riding in the door zone.
I even ride in so called DZBL, but I don’t ride in the door zone.

Imagine that?

Why Bill, how is that possible?

Because the “door zone“ is NOT fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, even SEVENTEEN feet from the curb.

Isn’t there a Cycling Scarry subforum here?

-mr. bill
Old 08-03-20, 11:51 AM
@johnoliva1

Yep, it's a constant struggle here where 'staying out of the door zone' is simply unrealistic in some situations. But I always slow down if that is the case, keeping the brakes covered.

So what's with the Yankees stuff? Aren't you in the heart of Mets country?
Born into it...wish yankee stadium was more bike accommodating...
Likes For @johnoliva1:
Old 08-03-20, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Born into it...wish yankee stadium was more bike accommodating...

Old Twins fan here--any relation to Tony?
Old 08-06-20, 07:32 PM
@johnoliva1

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Old Twins fan here--any relation to Tony?
nah, none, my family is italian, but he was the first person I ever saw (baseball card) with my last name that I wasn’t related to and I was blown away!
Likes For @johnoliva1:
Old 08-06-20, 07:51 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
But, but, but ... the two times I was doored I was completely unable to see that there was even anybody in the car. One was parked under a streetlight and no lights were on, inside or out. The second, the driver had been looking for something on the passenger side floor and never raised her had above the seatback before opening. Your advice would have made zero difference.

Ben
This happened to an older rider here about 10 years ago; she was riding along, then dipstick driver leaned over to look for something and then kicked his door open. Yes she was wearing a foam hat, but she still received major head injuries. Pretty sure the driver got sympathy for his trauma. ::eyerolls hard enough to sprain eyes::
Old 08-19-20, 02:16 PM
mr_bill

Rode past seven in a row auto-folding mirror vehicles this afternoon.

Why Bill, how does that help?

Well, when a driver LOCKS their car from the outside, the mirrors on SOME vehicles auto-fold. These started at the high end of "luxury" brands, worked their way through the luxury brands, and are now rolling out over the next few years to more and more vehicles. They're about to hit critical mass.

(For those of you who don't know why to fold your outside mirrors, you've never returned to your parked car equiped with FIXED outside mirrors to find your driver's outside rear view mirror torn off by someone from New Jersey who clipped said mirror with their Monte Carlo's fixed mirror. How do I know the driver was from New Jersey driving a Monte Carlo? Because.)

For those few who worry that someone might have an accomplice who locked the door from the outside, and then the evil genious is lying in wait for minutes, hours, even days, while ducking down, patient, so patient, waiting, waiting, waiting, for the perfect moment to HURL their door open just as you are passing by! Bwahaha!

You must lose sleep over 2020-QG. You have my pity.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-19-20 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 02:31 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
..... with their Monte Carlo's fixed mirror...
Ouch. The one-eyed beast.

Stock photo from internet. Not quite as ugly as I remembered.

Seriously, thanks for pointing out the folding function. A good clue I hadn’t considered.

Last edited by flangehead; 08-20-20 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 04:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
if you're riding in the door (on either side of the car) zone, you need to be going less than 10 mph to reduce your potential "interaction" probability.
if you've gotten away worth it so far, congrats. it's only a matter of time before your luck runs out. drivers and their passengers do crazy bleep but
guessing you already knew that. if you don't, just you wait...

Last edited by diphthong; 08-20-20 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 07:45 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by flangehead
Not quite as ugly as I remembered.
They are uh-gleee. Though one won the all time uh-gleee prize:

Monte Carlo Aerocoupe

-mr. bill
Old 08-21-20, 07:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
if you're riding in the door (on either side of the car) zone, you need to be going less than 10 mph to reduce your potential "interaction" probability.
if you've gotten away worth it so far, congrats. it's only a matter of time before your luck runs out. drivers and their passengers do crazy bleep but
guessing you already knew that. if you don't, just you wait...

Made up number, check! Gross misstatement of probability approaching certitude, check!

Somehow managed to avoid being doored in 50+ years of riding, if I go another 50 years I'm sure my luck is certain to run out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.