Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgrading seatpost clamp.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 10:59 AM
Emerald233

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the best way to upgrade a seatpost clamp that can handle 27mm seatpost? My current clamp only holds 31.8mm.
Old 09-27-20, 11:40 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Emerald233
What is the best way to upgrade a seatpost clamp that can handle 27mm seatpost? My current clamp only holds 31.8mm.
Well, either get a new seatpost that’s properly sized for the frame/clamp, or a shim if your post is too small, but you should really have a post that fits your frame/clamp properly.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 09-27-20, 11:45 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Emerald233
I'm assuming the seatpost is the right size for the frame. The clamp can be adapted with some bits of sheet metal the right size. I've used steel because I had some lying around but a coke can might be a good source of some high grade aluminium.
Old 09-27-20, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
There is no upgrade for the wrong size seatpost. You need to get the proper sized seatpost for your frame. You can shim it out but there isn't a huge point unless you truly cannot find anything in that size. I am guessing the post might be a 31.6 which is a common size and easy to find posts for in a wide variety of materials and purposes.
Old 09-28-20, 08:11 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I've used a shim to run a 27.2 post in a frame built for 31.8 - it worked fine.

I've also had to replace a seatpost clamp due to a snapped bolt. Salsa offers a wide selection of clamp sizes, and they are solid clamps. So, I would look there if you need a new clamp.

On many frames, a 27.2 post requires a 31.8 clamp - this is the internal measurement of the clamp and includes the dimension of the post and frame. Some frames have thinner tubing, so they need a smaller clamp.

If you are unsure, use a caliper to measure the frame to determine what size clamp you need. Then just order one online. 31.8 and 34.9 are very common sizes.
Likes For topflightpro: