Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TCR Advanced 2 KOM vs TCR Advanced 1 Pro - which one should I buy??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 08:56 AM
Dimi777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new roadbike and I have the 2 following options:

● Giant TCR Advanced 2 KOM 2020

- 2100 USD, new.
- Shimano 105
- Single side power meter
- Giant PR2 aluminium wheels
- Carbon fork, aluminium steerer
- Rim brakes
- 8kg

or

● Giant TCR Avanced Pro 1 disc 2020

- 3500 USD, used but super clean with little milage.
- Shimano Ultegra
- Dual side power meter
- Giant SLR 1 42mm carbon wheels
- Carbon fork, carbon steerer
- Disc brakes
- 7.5kg

The KOM new with a power meter is absolute bang for buck for 2100 usd, but I have tried both and the PRO 1 feels SO MUCH better thanks to the deep section carbon wheels.

If I go for the KOM, I plan to change the wheels for carbon ones (equivalent of the SLR 1 for 700 usd used), so total cost will be 2800 usd and weight is likely to go down to around 7.6 kg.

The PRO 1 was originally out of my budget but for an extra 700 usd I can get a full carbon fork and steerer, dual side power meter, ultegra, and disc brakes.

To be honest, ultegra and dual side PM are not absolute must to me, but what about the carbon steerer of the PRO1? Will I miss that much in terms of stiffness and reactivity?

Also is it definately better to run carbon wheels with disc brakes??

I don't know if that helps, but I started cycling a few months back on a Giant Contend 2, but I plan to race asap and I do group rides with experienced guys who own great bikes.

What would you do if you were in my shoes??

Thanks!
Old 10-11-20, 09:23 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
3500 for a used bike seems steep.

But I'd get the pro 1 and not worry about a single-sided power meter or having to upgrade wheels after the fact. Fork doesn't matter except for weight.
Old 10-11-20, 09:50 AM
Dimi777

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply.

Well I live in Japan and here the 2020 Pro 1 retailed for around 4700 usd and is now sold out.
The 2021 version is now 5000 which is why the 3500 usd for a used one in mint condition didn't seem too bad.

Getting the pro 1 now is definately less hassle and maybe cheaper on the long run I guess.
Old 10-11-20, 12:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The used market is crazy in USA because of covid, bikes are selling for much higher than they used to. I don't know if that's the case where you are.

I would be hesitant to buy a used carbon bike or used carbon wheels. But there are a lot of people riding used bikes with used carbon forks, so maybe I'm paranoid. It's hard to know how a bike has been treated, and carbon can have structural problems that aren't obvious. I would also wonder why somebody is willing to take a $1,200 loss on what sounds like essentially a brand new bike.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-11-20, 01:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
The more bike you buy the less you might have to update things like wheels and such if you feel that those things might benefit you. Are both the correct size for you? Can you test ride them? Will the one that cost more be a hardship on your budget, or is that just pocket change?

I could never buy a used bike because I have issues paying more than 50 or 60 percent of what an item sold for new even if it only just passed through the doors of the shop that sold it. But that's just my issue, if you don't mind, then go for it.

If you are unsure of how to assess frame and bicycle integrity and function, maybe you could ask them to let a shop look at it prior to purchase.
Old 10-11-20, 02:42 PM
Dimi777

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Japan and thankfully the situation is pretty normal here. Used bike market is not affected here.

You both have a point about being wary about buying a used carbon bike. I failed to mention it but it is sold by a shop, but only visual inspection (no type of scanning or what not) has been done. This is usually the norm here...
Having it scanned with ultra sounds would set me back an other 250 usd which really points me toward getting the new KOM from the LBS!
Old 10-12-20, 08:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Go Pro 1.

$3500 for lightly used seems like a good enough deal.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-12-20, 08:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Those bike aren't the type of carbon fiber bikes from long ago that caused the vicious rumors about them that won't go away. Aluminum and even steel have had failures from unseen cracks that can't be detected on a visual inspection.

I'd be happy with any visual assessment of them both.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-12-20, 05:51 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
All anecdotal, I guess, but in 14 years and eight or nine bikes with a myriad of aluminum and carbon components, including a current 15 lb Chinese frame/fork with Chinese rims, 98 gram Chinese carbon saddle, and superlight Chinese seat post, the only things that have ever broken just in daily use were an aluminum Colnago frame (warranty), an aluminum Ritchey WCS stem (no warranty). and two aluminum rear rims on a stock Powertap wheelset (got them replaced under warranty). I have friends that have also broken al frames, a dura ace cassette, and an al handlebar. And then there are the reports of Shimano cranks snapping in half...yikes.

So in my experience, the only things that have broken have been aluminum parts. I have broken a Felt carbon seatpost in a 35 mph crash, though, and a few carbon rims on man hole covers and rail road tracks, but impacts are impacts.

Carbon is pretty durable unless there's been a pretty solid impact.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-13-20, 06:12 AM
Dimi777

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's very reassuring!
Old 10-14-20, 07:03 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimi777
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new roadbike and I have the 2 following options:

● Giant TCR Advanced 2 KOM 2020

- 2100 USD, new.
- Shimano 105
- Single side power meter
- Giant PR2 aluminium wheels
- Carbon fork, aluminium steerer
- Rim brakes
- 8kg

or

● Giant TCR Avanced Pro 1 disc 2020

- 3500 USD, used but super clean with little milage.
- Shimano Ultegra
- Dual side power meter
- Giant SLR 1 42mm carbon wheels
- Carbon fork, carbon steerer
- Disc brakes
- 7.5kg

The KOM new with a power meter is absolute bang for buck for 2100 usd, but I have tried both and the PRO 1 feels SO MUCH better thanks to the deep section carbon wheels.

If I go for the KOM, I plan to change the wheels for carbon ones (equivalent of the SLR 1 for 700 usd used), so total cost will be 2800 usd and weight is likely to go down to around 7.6 kg.

The PRO 1 was originally out of my budget but for an extra 700 usd I can get a full carbon fork and steerer, dual side power meter, ultegra, and disc brakes.

To be honest, ultegra and dual side PM are not absolute must to me, but what about the carbon steerer of the PRO1? Will I miss that much in terms of stiffness and reactivity?

Also is it definately better to run carbon wheels with disc brakes??

I don't know if that helps, but I started cycling a few months back on a Giant Contend 2, but I plan to race asap and I do group rides with experienced guys who own great bikes.

What would you do if you were in my shoes??

Thanks!
You can't compare a Pro vs a ''regular'' Advanced. If your question is related to the asking prices, the Pro 1 is a little overpriced. 3500$ is the MSRP of a new one. However, you wouldn't need to upgrade it at all. If you are able to lower the price a little, I'd say get the Pro 1.