Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Off-Brand Leather Saddle

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Off-Brand Leather Saddle

Old 10-29-20, 11:09 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Off-Brand Leather Saddle

My dad gave me his Trek Pure Sport (similar to an Electra Townie) but it has an awful Cloud 9 seat he had installed which hurts my back on long rides. I'm interested in getting a leather hairpin or other three-spring saddle for it but I don't ride it that much having several bikes in my stable already but don't want to spend the money on a Brooks (actually I do want to spend the money but my significant other would have a fit!).

I'm wondering if anybody here has and experience with an off-brand leather saddle. I know it might not be Brooks-quality but I just want something that's halfway decent and not a piece of junk.
Old 10-29-20, 03:02 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
There is Brookes and then ever thing else. For what it is worth I bought my first in 1973 when I was 24 and just rode the bike it is on today. I have other leather saddles both Brooks and other brands and generally find those with springs not as comfortable as those without springs. They only look cooler. Roger
Old 10-29-20, 11:37 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
While I cant speak for the off brands I do have B135 on my cruiser. Initially I thought I was going to be disappointed with it but it did break in and feels very comfortable. Whrn the bike runs out of gearing pedaling fast can get a little bouncy but otherwise Ive found its looks and comfort especially on an upright cruise to be worth the money
Old 10-30-20, 10:34 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
While I actually collect Brooks saddles (I have three of them mounted on bikes and three more on display in my living room, wife thinks I'm nuts) I'm looking for a cheaper alternative that's halfway decent, just to be clear.
Old 10-30-20, 05:26 PM
rhenning

I have used Belts (took forever to break in), Selle Royals, and maybe 10 others. None of them are as good as a Brooks and that is just a fact. Watch EBAY and you might get lucky and find something you like.There are a couple of new companies making good saddles but they make Brooks look cheap. If I don't use a Brooks my first choice is old 1970-80s Vettas. The can is my spares. Opps the wrong cans picture. I will look for the real one. Roger

Old 10-30-20, 05:35 PM
rhenning

The picture I meant to post is here. Roger

Likes For rhenning:
Old 11-02-20, 01:00 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Keep an eye on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, sites similar to those. You may find a used one. This one isn't mine and haven't seen it in person, but an example of a used one for sale: https://louisville.craigslist.org/bo...220148032.html
I've never owned one, so don't know what to look out for on a used one, guess you'd want to be certain the tensioner bolt is not "maxed out", so as the leather breaks in, you can still add tension as needed.

Last edited by freeranger; 11-02-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-02-20, 01:50 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
FWIW I tried a Cardiff and it was a waste of money.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 11-02-20, 03:27 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
don't want to spend the money on a Brooks (actually I do want to spend the money but my significant other would have a fit!).
Buy once, cry once. A well-maintained Brooks saddle can transfer from bike to bike for a lifetime.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-23-20, 04:16 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
Here is a GOOD no-name genuine leather saddle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ele...rms=aid%3D5550

(203087958717 on the bay from CHINA seller, it is good and at GBP 24.35 or $32.35 and free ship, THIS IS A TREMENDOUS VALUE)

Now this one below is an example of JUNK, as it is made up of VINYL covering and it is not leather. While this seat is functional, it is not going to be on par with a genuine leather saddle of this style. IF YOU WANT A SEAT WITH A VINYL COVERING AS THE OUTER SURFACE, YOU SHOULD CONSIDER OTHER MORE TYPICAL PADDED SPRINGER SADDLES THAT ARE WIDER AND MORE TRADITIONALLY SEEN AS OEM SEATS ON NEW BEACH CRUISERS AND AS NEW AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT SEATS IN THE BIKE AISLES AT WALMART & TARGET STORES. This one below has the visual look but is a poor excuse as it is made up of vinyl covering and not leather. If you like this visual look (style of seat), you definitely want cowhide leather. Imagine a baseball glove made with seat upholstery vinyl and not cowhide, ------though it might initially look decent enough, the practical functionality & comfort of said glove will never be as good......
(402183695633 on the bay)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sad...83695633?_trkp

Here is a new Chinese black vinyl spring seat that nearly replicates the tourist style seats seen on so many 3 speeds from the 1950's until the early 1980's and on so many 5 speed & 10 speed upright tourist models from about 1962 to 1982. The even-ness of the outer piping and stitching is not quite as good as typical 1960's and 1970's seats of this exact style, BUT THE QUALITY OF THE VINYL COVERING AND RELATED SPRINGS & HARDWARE IS AT LEAST AS GOOD AS A NEW SEAT OF THIS STYLE BACK IN THE OLD DAYS. This is vinyl. Don't let crazy made up terms like "hemp leather" and "PU leather" fool you. These do have decent materials as the vinyl is good but you might see uneven stitching and piping......some might be flawless with perfect stitching, etc and others maybe less so, but they still look nice and are made well enough.....but the visual perfection & quality control isn't probably as good as new seats made like this from 1950's to 1980.
It is a decent seat. (see 293696751856)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Comfo...parms=aid%3D11