Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Apparently I sit crooked on my bike...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 01:20 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently took up mountain biking. I bought clipless pedals and shoes and I started messing with the positioning of the cleat. I observed how my feet naturally sit on flats and tried to emulate that with the cleats. (Well, I looked at my right foot, noticed my foot pointed outward, then adjusted both cleats accordingly so that both feet slightly pointed out.) I did the same on my road bike cleats and it actually made my knees feel better on my most recent ride. (Yay!)

However, I noticed one problem. On my most recent road bike ride, my left knee started hurting. That's odd for me. Usually it's my right knee that gives me problems. (Both shoes were adjusted toe out at this point.)

So, I went back to my bike with flats and looked at my LEFT foot. I noticed something peculiar. My left foot DIDN'T point out. It was straight or even slightly toe IN. So that means both of my feet point to the right. (Right foot toe out, left foot toe in.) So essentially I sit crooked on my bike. (Right butt back and left butt forward.)

I may know something that sort of contributed to this. In the past I've had serious issues with saddle sores. (Not friction bases sores, actual bumps (sorta like painful acne), which are the worst kind of sores.) They always appeared on my right side, so I've always tried to sit with my right butt on the saddle more (to make the bumps hurt less.) Now the bumps are gone but maybe the practice is still here, but it's opposite to the way my feet point.

Is there any negative consequences to me sitting like this? (Crooked?)
Old 05-13-15, 06:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Most people sit crookedly on their bicycles. You've got to set yours up to suit you. I even have the nose of my saddle pointing ever-so-slightly to the left because that works better for me.
Old 05-13-15, 06:55 PM
cdyer77
Slow by default

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive had a chiropractor tell me that my hips aren't aligned with my shoulders so that in standing face 12 o'clock, my hips are legs are angled closer to the 1 o'clock position. I'm sure this also translates into how I'm positioned while in the saddle as well.
Old 05-13-15, 07:02 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We're all asymmetrical to varying degrees. Set up your bike so it's comfortable and don't think about it again.
Old 05-13-15, 08:50 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
As long as you don't have persistent saddle sores or pain in knees, hips, etc., you're okay. However sometimes if you ride longer or harder over time, these issues can start from an improper fit. If you are concerned or develop pain, consider an experienced fitter. They aren't cheap by the tools they use plus their experience can pinpoint things easily and usually quickly.
Old 05-13-15, 09:10 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I went for a beautiful ride today. (65, sunny, not very windy) I adjusted the left cleat to be more straight, and adjusted the seat forward a cm and down a click. This was the FIRST ride that I came back and neither of my knees or back hurt. I'm actually very happy with the fit right now.

As for persistent saddle sores... well, if I didn't wear padded bike shorts on every ride, I'd immediately get a saddle sore on my right side, regardless of bike. (The sore would just move a bit depending on the saddle.)
Old 05-14-15, 02:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
Many cleats, at least the SPDs and Speedplays, have a few degrees of float, and may be comfortable.