Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Manufacturer of Centurion Japan frames?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Manufacturer of Centurion Japan frames?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-19, 03:52 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

That is brilliant!
Old 09-06-19, 04:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

That is brilliant!
No worries, but this is a 2 year old zombie thread, just sayin.
Old 09-06-19, 05:03 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
The Walking Thread.
The world may never know.

I pmd @fleslider the name of the USA Centurion/WSI rep. Hopefully he's made contact with him and will have some answers.
Old 09-06-19, 05:11 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Centurion Turbo Time Trial

Thank you!
Old 11-12-19, 10:50 AM
brodycycle

Bikes: H. Tano (Kobe Japan) Custom, Scott CR1 Upgraded, Scott Speedster Upgraded

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I owned a H. Tano framed Centurion bike I bought in Colorado Springs in 1980. I had an accident that destroyed the frame. When cleaning out old owners manuals I found the Centurion manual and it listed H. Tano in Kobe Japan as the frame maker. Since I was in Korea at the time, I wrote to H. Tano at the address and they told me I could have the frame made to my specifications based on the Centurion Semi Pro. Long story short, I went to Kobe Japan and got the frame.

Fork sticker, original Suntour headset.

Seat tube sticker, all paint is original.

I didn't change too much from when I got it in Kobe, Japan.
ss listed to see if I could get a new frame directly from them. Long story short, I did but had to go to Kobe and get it. I still have the bike and paperwork I received from them. It is unbranded and only has the Tange Champion tubing and fork stickers on it.

Last edited by brodycycle; 11-16-19 at 01:15 AM.
Likes For brodycycle:
Old 11-12-19, 10:57 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by brodycycle
I owned a H. Tano framed Centurion bike I bought in Colorado Springs in 1980. I had an accident that destroyed the frame. When cleaning out old owners manuals I found the Centurion manual and it listed H. Tano in Kobe Japan as the frame maker. Since I was in Korea at the time, I wrote to H. Tano at the address listed to see if I could get a new frame directly from them. Long story short, I did but had to go to Kobe and get it. I still have the bike and paperwork I received from them. It is unbranded and only has the Tange Champion tubing and fork stickers on it.
You may want to pony up for the membership fee here and list it in the C&V for sale thread. You likely won't find a bigger customer base for that specific frame than you would here.
Another option is to reconfigure the frame with different bars, shifters and saddle for a more upright position. Don't listen to the naysayers that tell you the cool kids don't do that. It's your bike, and you wouldn't be doing any harm by simply bolting on different parts.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-12-19 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clean up
Old 01-07-21, 01:33 AM
brodycycle

Bikes: H. Tano (Kobe Japan) Custom, Scott CR1 Upgraded, Scott Speedster Upgraded

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
As I went to the H. Tano facility in Kobe I know they produced the bare frame. While I could swap out some components, I prefer to keep it as vintage as possible, it is a 40 year old bike I got in Kobe Japan. I have found the correspondence I had with H. Tano at the time.
Likes For brodycycle: