Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Interesting Hambini video on a carbon wheel set

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Interesting Hambini video on a carbon wheel set

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 04:21 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Also, pointedly, there are a lot of Cervelo riders around here (on the forum and in my area). Not one of them has said "wow I can't wait until I get change to a better bike than this POS". Most have had a string of Cervelos; those that have bought others bought others for specific reasons (gravel before the Aspero, for example, or specific tri features).
Count me among those, too. Other than my R5, my wife has an R2 and is likely going to get an Aspero or Caledonia to replace it.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 08-29-20, 10:02 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I wonder if he wasn’t wrenching on the cockpit and just didn’t have his final position set yet.
Old 08-29-20, 12:28 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
I wonder if he wasn’t wrenching on the cockpit and just didn’t have his final position set yet.
Seriously? You don't tape the bars until your lever positions are set.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 08-29-20, 12:43 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
+1

It's not like 1 side is a little lower than the other. Those levers are way off
Old 08-30-20, 12:21 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I suppose you do have a point there.
Old 08-30-20, 12:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by ups
These comments remind me of the guy sitting in his mothers basement drumming for an audience of 1, talk *****e about Lars Ulrich of Metallica.
The irony of this in the context of some dude ****-talking the engineers of Cervelo and Cannondale is priceless. Having a YT channel doesn't mean you know a damn thing.
Old 08-30-20, 12:42 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
...the engineers of Cervelo and Cannondale ..
Damon Rinard was chief engineer at Cervelo for several years before moving to Cannondale. I believe he's responsible for the S5 and SystemSix (not that they have anything in common).

Last edited by asgelle; 08-30-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-30-20, 04:30 PM
drewtk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I'll save everyone here a lot of time and effort: disregard Hambini.
Old 09-02-20, 03:48 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
That guy could have the solution to world hunger and I'd never know it. I don't have the better part of an hour to sift thru all that.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 09-02-20, 04:46 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
That guy could have the solution to world hunger and I'd never know it. I don't have the better part of an hour to sift thru all that.
I refuse to give him the views to even try.

In other news, I rode my P2 last night for the first time in a while and was once again amazed at what a fine machine it is. It is certainly better than the very-good R2. No creaks from either.
Old 09-02-20, 06:01 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Also, pointedly, there are a lot of Cervelo riders around here (on the forum and in my area). Not one of them has said "wow I can't wait until I get change to a better bike than this POS". Most have had a string of Cervelos; those that have bought others bought others for specific reasons (gravel before the Aspero, for example, or specific tri features).

Well, Hambini still has his Cervelo so he can't think it is all bad!

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-02-20 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 07:16 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
You guys are being harsh. Wasn't Hambini one of first persons who analyzed wheel wind resistance by considering various wind offsets while everyone else assumed a static, head on wind?

Last edited by Robert A; 09-02-20 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 07:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
The drop bars are in an old/outdated position, yes.
But look at the other bike he pulls out- it has modern compact drops and the bars as well as shifters are in a good position.

Odd.
Old 09-02-20, 09:11 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Robert A
You guys are being harsh. Wasn't Hambini one of first persons who analyzed wheel wind resistance by considering various wind offsets while everyone else assumed a static, head on wind?
Not even close. Yaw has been used for calculating overall aero efficiency for a very long time.

And Hambini hasnt "analysed" anything. I suspect his aero wind tunnel test was a big fake - not a single photo to even show the tests were done or even showing all the wheels, and when challenged, he made up a sock puppet account on ST masquerading as his colleague and that awful fake "cease and desist" letter purportedly from Flo's lawyers. THAT is the guy people have so much faith in?

What Hambini did do is just bring up the issue of transient winds - ie, point out that wind conditions when we ride are not constant - umm, ok. Pointing out that a lab test is not exactly the same as the real world is not particularly earth-shattering. It's like people who say "well, riding on drum tests is not the same as riding on the road". In both cases, the differences between a controlled setting and a real world setting dont mean that the lessons from one do not apply to the other.

In practice - the entire industry (manufacturers, testers, race teams) have used the results of wind tunnel testing to predict performance on the road. i think it is safe to assume that top aerodynamic experts are aware of transient wind conditions (it's fairly obvious) - SwissSide refers to it in their testing too. So again, on one hand you have an industry populated with experts who get paid to demonstrate their expertise. On the other hand, you have a guy with a Youtube channel who throws out a few facts/buzzwords - enough to make himself sound informed to people who don't know any better. But he curses, so that makes him genuine/a guy who tells it "like it is".

I get calling out the actions of a particular company. But when multiple, independent experts - many of whom are competing with others and have a vested interested in doing a better job - all tend to gravitate towards the same process and methodology, that should tell you something. Occam had something to say about this.

Last edited by guadzilla; 09-02-20 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 12:11 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I feel sorry for people who watch one of his long-ass videos and think it means anything. They are all the same, as well.

I do think he is right about the frames sent in to him, and that BB issues on carbon frames do arise. However, I think it was the Canyon video when at one point he claimed "and I have hundreds more examples" (this was about voids in the frame, where we don't even know if more voids is really that bad). No, he doesn't. He only ever gets sent the bad apples, and we have no idea if for every bad apple there are 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000 good ones. He just makes it appear it is only 10 or so.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 09-03-20, 12:44 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
This is correct:

This is not correct:

The handlebar is wonky, but it is set up as designed. It is just a step in the evolution from this to this.
Likes For Fiery:
Old 09-03-20, 07:20 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I feel sorry for people who watch one of his long-ass videos and think it means anything. They are all the same, as well.

I do think he is right about the frames sent in to him, and that BB issues on carbon frames do arise. However, I think it was the Canyon video when at one point he claimed "and I have hundreds more examples" (this was about voids in the frame, where we don't even know if more voids is really that bad). No, he doesn't. He only ever gets sent the bad apples, and we have no idea if for every bad apple there are 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000 good ones. He just makes it appear it is only 10 or so.
Here is the problem with what he does though. The frames being sent in have some sort of BB issue. OK fine. He x-rays the frame then says "the owner couldn't get the BB in so he sent it to me, and I x-rayed the frame and it has so many voids that I wouldn't ride it".

I bet he hasn't done 100 frames total, let alone 100 Canyon frames specifically. Even these "bad apple" frames he is sent, there is no correlation to frame voids and finishing issues with bottom bracket holes or anything else. He is obviously a smart guy but now the problem has become that he has created an ecosystem of cause and effect, which has no basis in reality. I do like his videos and it is interesting to see him get BBs fitted too bikes properly but he really should stop x-raying frames. It's not doing anything for anyone.
Old 09-03-20, 07:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
It's not doing anything for anyone.
Except grow a following of people that like to froth at the mouth while wagging their fingers at bikes that they weren't going to buy, anyway.
Old 09-03-20, 08:09 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
No.
Old 09-03-20, 09:34 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Here is the problem with what he does though. The frames being sent in have some sort of BB issue. OK fine. He x-rays the frame then says "the owner couldn't get the BB in so he sent it to me, and I x-rayed the frame and it has so many voids that I wouldn't ride it".

I bet he hasn't done 100 frames total, let alone 100 Canyon frames specifically. Even these "bad apple" frames he is sent, there is no correlation to frame voids and finishing issues with bottom bracket holes or anything else. He is obviously a smart guy but now the problem has become that he has created an ecosystem of cause and effect, which has no basis in reality. I do like his videos and it is interesting to see him get BBs fitted too bikes properly but he really should stop x-raying frames. It's not doing anything for anyone.
It is doing a lot for him. He can trash talk and get views.
Old 09-03-20, 09:42 AM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
This is correct:

This is not correct:

The handlebar is wonky, but it is set up as designed. It is just a step in the evolution from this to this.
For my personal elucidation, is that also reflective of a trend of riding on the hoods more? I can't imagine how you would ride with handlebars and levers set up like that aside from staying in the drops.
Old 09-03-20, 09:45 AM
TobFromme

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
while wagging their fingers at bikes that they weren't going to buy, anyway.
Which is ridiculous. I never cared about what anyone thinks of my bike or how it's configured. I ride what I want and how it's comfortable for me.
Old 09-03-20, 10:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
This is correct:

This is not correct:

Dont introduce visual evidence to support your comment, this is bike forums where trends are embraced and then quickly ignored and denied as having existed!
Old 09-03-20, 12:27 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts

But your statement has as much weight as Hambini's. He says he has looked at 100's of frames. You say not. Who the heck knows who is right.

Someone like luescher teknik is different in that they are a carbon repair shop, so I assume they see lots of bikes. When he agrees with something someone like Hambini says, I give it more credence.

Voids are bad - which is why they try to minimize them. I ride with a person who had a cracked top tube (right behind head tube) for over 3 years without issue. This is a lady that was <130 lbs so that might have contributed and carbon just blows apart spectacularly in other situations. Around me, there are lots of people riding gorgeous Andersons, Speedvagen, and Lynskeys because they 1) have money and 2) had issues with carbon bikes.
Old 09-04-20, 10:02 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by TobFromme
Which is ridiculous. I never cared about what anyone thinks of my bike or how it's configured. I ride what I want and how it's comfortable for me.
At the very least, it is exceedingly unfair to the manufacturers whose bikes are being slandered because, among other reasons, Hambini got into a hissy fit after one of their founders disagreed with him on Slowtwitch.
Likes For guadzilla:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.