Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Potential Spoiler: A "Why I Like to Watch Cycling" sort of stage

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 09:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts

So ... Sunday's stage ... after a real stage on Saturday (no prologue, no TTT .... an actual regular race stage) was another challenging affair with a lot of climbs hard enough to be selective and bring the GC contenders out to contend.

Unlike so many "mechanical" stages, predictable and with the winner either foregone or unimportant, on Sunday there was an actual battle for the yellow jersey, head-to-head clashes between the race favorites, and the race was hard enough to reveal the actual fitness levels of the major teams on top contenders.

Pogacar is still the strongest, it seems, but he is not tactical. Vingegaard is not quite as fast but smarter---but this time, his team is not as overwhelming as last year or other races this year. Van Aert proved that he might be human, and that he needs good team mates to win .... and Jumbo Visma was, as mentioned, not as dominating, which means a dozen meters mattered.

On top of that, after several crazy ventures by other riders, a Cofidis rider addressed the team's 15-year drought of TdF wins ... he attacked at what, 1100 meters, and held out to win by only a second .... after 999 of 1000 breakaways get caught in the final 500 or even 50 meters ... this time it worked.

Basically everyone won, no one lost, a long-suffering French team got a great win, (always nice to see a "classic" team get a sponsorship-inflating win (so they might last another while)) and good to see a French team win (just for the local fans.) Always good to see the GC riders actually compete---so many years they are just passengers until the final day before the first rest day, or even the middle of the second week.

Every year ASO has a chance to assemble a good par cours or not ... and this year I'd say they hit it.
Old 07-02-23, 10:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Funny, but I think these hard but not full mountain days in oft rainy country are perfect to have safer first weekend racing. Hard enough that everyone has to think about their legs and not ride stupid. Roads that see enough wet that there's no oil rising to the surface if it does rain. Yes, we lost two team leaders yesterday. But today, despite a lot of road furniture, not a lot of crashes. Big contrast to some of the big tour starts of recent years.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-02-23, 04:55 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Sunday was a great stage and the way it was won but tarnished because of the idiot(s) who threw tacks on the course causing at least 20 punctures. I hope they are able to identify the culprit. Hopefully the riders won't get mixed up the current political situation in France.
Likes For gpsblake:
Old 07-02-23, 07:23 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Definitely agree about the morons and thumbtacks. Absolute BS.

With respect to UAE, they did add Majka and Yates, among others, so I think they size up better against Jumbo-Visma, and Tadej needs to remember he doesn’t have to go out like a madman like he did last year.

Through only 2 stages, this is already an exciting Tour!
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 07-02-23, 07:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
It was interesting to see how quickly WVA personally responded to Pidcock’s attack. I would love to see TP bag another stage this year.

Last edited by Eric F; 07-03-23 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For Eric F: