Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

About to straighten out my derailleur hanger. Any advice?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

About to straighten out my derailleur hanger. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 05:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Brave man to perform this on a non-replaceable hanger.
It almost looks like a compound bend. Hopefully not...and that your derailleur survived.
Good luck, Johnny!
I've done it with my Ti Merlin hangar. Not that big a deal. As mentioned do small things, test and continue. Don't go for a homerun on the first attempt.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-23-24, 05:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
How did the bending operation turn out?
Old 01-23-24, 05:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
If he breaks his frame he can get it fixed, it's steel.
I have two steel bikes like this. I still worry.
Old 01-23-24, 06:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Frames with integral hangers aren't set up to accept replacement hangers. Of course, if there's enough meat there, a skilled mechanic can modify it to mount a replaceable hanger, but I'm talking about an advanced skill level. I wouldn't expect that in someone asking if straightening us OK.

This is totally unnecessary unless the wheel is badly untrue. On a true wheel, every point is on the same plane, square to the axle.

I love various raw veggies in tempura. My favorite is thick cut onion slabs, ie. 10mm or so, fried until just tender. Sometimes, I'll salt the onion first, otherwise dip in a sauce to eat. The alcohol trick sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot.
It is to a point but it is just a good idea to do that just in case it is not true.

Onions as tempura is delicious love it. The alcohol works quite well.
Old 01-23-24, 06:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is to a point but it is just a good idea to do that just in case it is not true.
One of the first and most important lessons one learns as a manufacturer is how to set tolerances and avoid pointless (expensive) precision.

Doubtless, one would want to avoid using a badly untrue wheel as a reference. However any rideable wheel -- passes through brake shoes without rubbing -- is true enough to align the RD to well within half a degree.

So, as a practical matter, one needn't obsess about indicating anywhere on the wheel.
Old 01-23-24, 07:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
One of the first and most important lessons one learns as a manufacturer is how to set tolerances and avoid pointless (expensive) precision.

Doubtless, one would want to avoid using a badly untrue wheel as a reference. However any rideable wheel -- passes through brake shoes without rubbing -- is true enough to align the RD to well within half a degree.

So, as a practical matter, one needn't obsess about indicating anywhere on the wheel.
Ok fair dinkum but I will still do it the way I was taught because I do value accuracy and precision.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-23-24, 09:09 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I'd start by getting it somewhere near straight using vise grips or a crescent wrench, so you can limit the major bending to the mid/upper part of the hanger; if it was a bare frame I'd use a bench vise. It looks like you might need to close the dropout a little too: in that case the bench vise would definitely be my preferred tool. Then finish it off with the alignment tool. Make sure you screw it in firmly, and that it lies flat against the hanger. Tweak a little bit, check against the wheel in three places, repeat as required.
NOPE NOPE NOPETY NOPE ! ! !
If you don't have the proper rear derailleur hanger alignment tool then either buy one or bring it to a shop...or you certainly can just kludge it using a pair of vice grips, etc. as grumpus suggests and hope for the best...it's not my bike so I don't have a monkey in this circus...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 01-23-24, 09:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ok fair dinkum but I will still do it the way I was taught because I do value accuracy and precision.
No problem. I'm not invested in what people opt to do, especially knowledgeable people.

OTOH one of my self appointed roles on this forum is to be a counterweight offsetting the tendency to obsessively paint lilies.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-23-24, 10:44 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
If you don't have the proper rear derailleur hanger alignment tool then either buy one or bring it to a shop...
Doing emergency repairs in the field, I'd put a hex key into the RD mounting bolt and muscle it home by eye, adding the RD cage as my guide.

But, yes, a vice grip would be my absolutely last option. If you're not strong enough to move it with a hex key, consider that the wheel's axle has thr same thread.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-23-24, 10:58 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
...To clarify: It's a steel frame...
GREAT! that changes everything.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Agreed. I would just unbolt that rear triangle and put the dropout in a bench vice.
Then after getting it as close as possible use the Park Tool...

Of course John, You know this...
Old 01-23-24, 11:06 PM
FBinNY 

Why are people making a simple job complicated. There's no need to use a vise or do the job in 2 or more steps.

Steel's yield strength is a fixed property, so the same force is needed for this as to tweak the hanger on a newly built frame.

If the tool is strong enough for that (as it obviously is), then it's strong enough to horse this hanger home.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-24-24, 06:49 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Two points.

First, the hanger straightening tool may work, but I've staightened a lot of stuff, and if I had my choice, I would pull the wheel off, lay the inboard side of the hanger on something flat, and push on the outboard side with a hydraulic press, it's a more foolproof way of doing things, you won't overshoot, and due to springback, if that doesn't flatten it, put appropriate spacer under the inboard end and press again.

Regarding the yield strength of steel staying constant, no it doesn't, not after cold working, and yielding is cold working. (For not a large bend, perhaps not too bad.) Take a steel paper clip and bend it, now try to straighten it, where you bent it will be harder to bend back to straighten, as it has been cold worked. Before alloy steels, cold working was how you made a strong sword or knife from low grade steel. That is why "piano wire", guitar strings, et al, have typical tensile strengths of 380,000-425,000 PSI (extremely high strength), from steel (iron with carefully controlled carbon content) with no alloys, no heat treatment, because of the cold working (via drawing the wire through a die). What DOES stay constant is the elastic stiffness of the steel, the Young's Modulus, that does not change within families of materials, even as yield and ultimate strength changes (with a few rare exceptions of newer exotic metal alloys).

Last edited by Duragrouch; 01-28-24 at 02:51 AM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 01-24-24, 08:08 AM
Kai Winters

Doing emergency repairs in the field, I'd put a hex key into the RD mounting bolt and muscle it home by eye, adding the RD cage as my guide.

But, yes, a vice grip would be my absolutely last option. If you're not strong enough to move it with a hex key, consider that the wheel's axle has thr same thread.
Sure...if you're in the field and it's an emergency 'quick fix' to get back...that's not the discussion...but again, it's not my bike so it's just a curiosity to me as to how it is 'fixed'...
Old 01-24-24, 09:45 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
New Jersey, but admittedly he hasn't specified which exit.
Which highway?
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 01-24-24, 09:55 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
If you don't have the proper rear derailleur hanger alignment tool then either buy one or bring it to a shop...or you certainly can just kludge it using a pair of vice grips, etc. as grumpus suggests and hope for the best...it's not my bike so I don't have a monkey in this circus...
He has the alignment tool. From the photos the hanger looks to have been pulled back and twisted in, which is more than I'd expect the tool to cope with, so I suggested getting it in something like the right orientation before setting it with the tool. There's no way the tool could manage to close the dropout, if that is indeed required. Even if it just needs pulling out, the tool is acting on the end of the hanger, but the main distortion appears to be at the top of the hanger - perhaps not a crucial difference, but it could end up S-shaped rather than flat.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-24-24, 10:10 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Note the use of the o-ring indicators for moving the tool past the stays accurately.
There's no need to go there - measure below the chain stay, behind the seat stay and mid-way between those two points.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-24-24, 10:17 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Picked up the tool locally and it gets used all the time. I've moved some pretty tweaked ends. Don't think he is going to have a problem with that.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-24-24, 02:31 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
He has the alignment tool. From the photos the hanger looks to have been pulled back and twisted in, which is more than I'd expect the tool to cope with, so I suggested getting it in something like the right orientation before setting it with the tool. There's no way the tool could manage to close the dropout, if that is indeed required. Even if it just needs pulling out, the tool is acting on the end of the hanger, but the main distortion appears to be at the top of the hanger - perhaps not a crucial difference, but it could end up S-shaped rather than flat.
This. Kai went all nopity nope on you, when you merely suggested starting the fix with another tool.
Only difference for me might involve plunking a properly spaced hub in there to keep everything else stationary.
Hard to tell if the hanger distorts in other directions. Could present Mr Flores with more problems.
Old 01-24-24, 02:59 PM
Kai Winters

A rear derailleur hanger alignment tool is designed to align a hanger in a variety of planes.
I've...carefully and slowly...re-aligned bent and twisted hangers bringing them back into the exact and correct position. Especially so on a steel hanger that is part of the frame/dropout. I prefer aligning steel hangers as steel is far more moveable and far more forgiving than an aluminum hanger especially some of the hangers I have to align that are so cut out...for no good reason...the metal is thin and far more prone to snapping than wonderful steel whose molecules love being manipulated.
I do not ever recommend using the incorrect tool unless absolutely necessary because using a tool such as 'vice grips' with all its lovely teeth is going to mar the metal, regardless of type, same with pliers, and even adjustable wrenches though and adjustable wrench is less likely but I also have to take into the consideration the person doing the 'manipulating'. In general they are clueless and cause far more harm and damage than if they just left it alone.

You want to learn how to do this stuff correctly and have the correct tools? Buy a used bike...cheap...doesn't matter what kind...and practice on it using YouTube videos as a guide. Or better yet hire a reputable shop mechanic to teach you basic service and maintenance skills during the winter months when customers are few and time is more available.
Old 01-24-24, 04:22 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
An alignment tool is the best way to go. That said the accuracy of bending a steel hanger back is "somewhat" dependent on the number of speeds you are running.

Some years ago I used a precision square in the dropouts and an 18" crescent wrench to straighten a bent hanger. I think the use of a precision square over a Harbor Freight square is the key, at least in one's own mind.

But I'm running an 8 speed cassette and the Centeron probably picks up enough of the visual out-of-tolerance.

If I were doing it today, I'd get an alignment tool. I have a lot more tools now than I used to have, and many only get occasional use. I somehow survived my ham fisted era.

John
Old 01-24-24, 07:41 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
This. Kai went all nopity nope on you, when you merely suggested starting the fix with another tool.
Only difference for me might involve plunking a properly spaced hub in there to keep everything else stationary.
Hard to tell if the hanger distorts in other directions. Could present Mr Flores with more problems.
It would be good to check the dropout alignment once the hanger is back where it should be.
Old 01-25-24, 02:25 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Still knocking the mud off.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-25-24, 07:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Bump. Could be done in the time it takes to read this thread. Maybe OP is preparing a video for us.
Old 01-25-24, 09:37 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I had a cx race bike that was mis-shifting recently (replaceable aluminum hanger on cf frame). I complained about it to my bud in the parking lot at a race. He took my bike and said, "I'll be right back". He came back three minutes later with it fixed. He had the tool in his car. So why is this thread still going?
Old 01-25-24, 09:47 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I had a cx race bike that was mis-shifting recently (replaceable aluminum hanger on cf frame). I complained about it to my bud in the parking lot at a race. He took my bike and said, "I'll be right back". He came back three minutes later with it fixed. He had the tool in his car. So why is this thread still going?
Because you can't start a thread with a before picture and end it without an after?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.