Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dropouts out of vertical alignment??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 10:55 AM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

My wife rides an old Peugeot mixte that she loves. No matter what I do, I cannot get the rear wheel to sit straight. It has horizontal dropouts, so no problem adjusting to get it centered between the chainstays, but the wheel is invariably out of center between the seatstays. The difference is big enough that it makes fender and brake adjustment very difficult, plus it looks bad. I've use a homemade dropout alignment tool to verify that the dropouts are parallel and aligned to each other, and I've installed the same wheel in both orientations to make sure it's not an issue with the wheel either.

I'm sort of stumped. All the info I find online seems more focused on lateral rather than vertical alignment issues. There's no apparent damage to the frame, but it's definitely a cheap mass-market model that may have had loose tolerances for tube lengths, welds, etc. Is there some way to fix this problem, or is it hopeless?
Old 07-19-23, 11:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
QR or nutted axle? Either way, it might just be that the axle is ever so slightly off center because of the little bit of gap between it and the gap in the dropout. Doesn't take but a tiny amount of the axle to be off to make wheel off by a lot at the tire.

However I'd really suspect a bent axle if this is a bike with a freewheel.
Old 07-19-23, 11:43 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Is the wheel dished properly?
Old 07-19-23, 12:45 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
QR or nutted axle? Either way, it might just be that the axle is ever so slightly off center because of the little bit of gap between it and the gap in the dropout. Doesn't take but a tiny amount of the axle to be off to make wheel off by a lot at the tire.

However I'd really suspect a bent axle if this is a bike with a freewheel.
It is a freewheel QR, but I tested a nutted fixed gear wheel and same problem in both orientations. :/
Likes For kyselad:
Old 07-19-23, 12:48 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Is the wheel dished properly?
Yes, problem is the same even with a fixed gear wheel from a different bike that I know is perfectly dished. Also it seems like a problem with dish would create a global shift right or left but not a discrepancy only at the seatstay?
Likes For kyselad:
Old 07-19-23, 12:49 PM
smd4

Can you post some pictures?
Old 07-19-23, 01:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Are you good at making your own fixtures or jigs? Then make some that will allow you to hold the frame with the dropouts aligned properly. If the bike frames vertical centerline isn't vertical, then maybe you can figure out what to bend.

However for any bike whether worthless or worth something, it'll be time consuming for someone to deal with if you have to take it to others. If there is a frame builder in your area, you might make friends with them. After a few rounds of beer and some good conversation they might just take a look at it for a nominal amount.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-19-23, 02:11 PM
smd4

Are you good at making your own fixtures or jigs? Then make some that will allow you to hold the frame with the dropouts aligned properly. If the bike frames vertical centerline isn't vertical, then maybe you can figure out what to bend.

However for any bike whether worthless or worth something, it'll be time consuming for someone to deal with if you have to take it to others. If there is a frame builder in your area, you might make friends with them. After a few rounds of beer and some good conversation they might just take a look at it for a nominal amount.
If one seat stay was too short or too long, then I doubt the situation can be easily rectified.
Old 07-19-23, 03:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Two likely possibilities that are fairly easy to confirm either way.

One dropout is higher causing the wheel to be non-vertical. You'll need a bubble level or tri-square, and s friend. Start by mounting the rear wheel with the bike on the floor to ensure the axle I'd resting against the top of both dropouts. Brace the rear wheel in a doorframe or corner as close to full diameter as possible so nothing touches except the tire at 11&7. With your friend keeping it braced, check the seat tube to confirm that it is also vertical. (Double check the doorframe itself in case it's off plumb). If necessary, dropout height can be corrected with a flat file.

Or it might be within the frame. Place a yardstick edgewise against the head and seatubes extending to the stay. Note where the end meets the stay. Repeat on the other side. There are more precise ways to do this measurement, but with your bike b so far off, a quick eyeball will be enough.

There are other possibilities, and possible corrections, but the above tests are easy enough and will narrow the possibilities.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-19-23, 04:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
If one seat stay was too short or too long, then I doubt the situation can be easily rectified.
Actually it can be rectified quite easily but the danger is making things worse. Say left chainstay is 1/8" longer than the right so the dropout sits close to an 1/8" lower. You could file a little less than 1/8" off the top of the left dropout, doing FB's checks as you go. Of course,if you fil so much off the dropout bends or breaks, you went too far. With brazing skills, additional material could be added for strength at the expense of paint.

I've never done this. I'd listen to those who have before trying. But I've heard of it being done. If this mixte is of the UO-8 variety with the plate steel cut dropout, you are hardly going to cause any issues until you weaken it until it bends and even that won't be catastrophic. (Says he who rode his UO-8 into the ground (and two car doors - crashing perhaps 2 to 4 dozen times on it - 5 crashes a winter was the norm - and bent his right dropout beyond the ability to run a derailleur on it early on. Mild steel, Very forgiving. At 19,000 miles the right chainstay broke. I rode it home and had a friend weld it. 22,000 miles was the second car door, trashed fork and I didn't need the reminder so it got retired.)
Old 07-19-23, 05:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
The question is how far out of alignment. I recently adjusted a fork/tire alignment by just using a file to file out about 1mm of material on the fork ends. I opted for filing out the fork rather then trying to adjust the bend on the fork leg.

What I am trying to say is consider the amount of adjustment you need. 1 mm of change in axle position can make a big difference in wheel position.
Old 07-19-23, 06:08 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 976 Posts
They sell these drop out alignment tools that lets you visualize exactly what is out of alignment and how:

You can easily make your own version of this with two threaded rods and some nuts and washers:
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-19-23, 06:09 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
What are the odds that the seat stays are a different length or at least welded at the wrong place causing a length differential?

If it was a mixte: What if it had a seized seatpost at one time and whoever freed it, did so by twisting the seat tube there by pulling one seat-stay up/forward and the other down/back? Not that I've ever encountered this. But, but after freeing up a few seat posts by twisting the bike about in a vice, I can imagine on a mild steel mixte it could theoretically be possible.

It's pretty mild steel & there is no guarantee it was built to high quality specs/standards in the first place. I'd determine whether or not the seat tube & head tube are in alignment before continuing. That'll give you reasonable reference points to determine if/how the rear triangle is out of spec.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 07-19-23, 06:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
BEFORE beginning any kind of remedy, take the time to properly qualify and quantify the problem.

Only after doing so, and getting the complete picture will you have the info you need to consider repair options.

For example, if you confirm it is dropout height, 1mm is easily remedied with a file, though more might call for other ideas.

My signature quotes from Admiral Hopper, and about an ounce of diagnosis..... are there for a reason. Take a short time to measure and think BEFORE starting something that may take a long time to undo.
Old 07-19-23, 09:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
They sell these drop out alignment tools that lets you visualize exactly what is out of alignment and how:

You can easily make your own version of this with two threaded rods and some nuts and washers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsU8IkkFaok
The issue with these types of tools is that they only indicate the faces of the drop outs WRT each other, not WRT the main frame or the fork. It is easy to bend the dropouts so they look right, according to these tools, but the wheel can still sit cockeyed if the stay lengths or main/rear triangle centers are off.

I hope that IMC already knows this but just didn't explain the tool use well. Andy
Old 07-19-23, 09:21 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The issue with these types of tools is that they only indicate the faces of the drop outs WRT each other, not WRT the main frame or the fork. It is easy to bend the dropouts so they look right, according to these tools, but the wheel can still sit cockeyed if the stay lengths or main/rear triangle centers are off.

I hope that IMC already knows this but just didn't explain the tool use well. Andy
Exactly. I already did a home brewed version of this tool that isn’t as fancy but does the job. The dropouts were already close to aligned, and I fixed the little bit that they were off, but that just means the wheel now sits perfectly in the dropouts, and it made no perceptible improvement to the wheel alignment.
Old 07-19-23, 11:27 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Check the FRAME ALIGNMENT first.. THEN align the rear dropouts.
visually line up the head tube with the seat tube of your bent frame... does it look ok? good.. move on the checking the Rear triangles....

see: Park Tool ***-2, Frame alignment gauge
you can make one from wood, nuts, washers, and some thread stock quite easily.
You-tube has vids on their proper use...

If one side of the rear is bent out, the other ends up bent in.. this can lower one dropout, and raise the other side.. causing the rear rim to set closer to one side of the Seat Stays....
this can be fairly common on bikes that were "cold set" to fit a wider rear hub, by people with no ***-2, or an equivalent gauge....
here's another symptom of a home-grown "cold set".. somewhat non-parallel dropouts...... "Exactly. I already did a home brewed version of this tool that isn’t as fancy but does the job. The dropouts were already close to aligned, and I fixed the little bit that they were off, but that just means the wheel now sits perfectly in the dropouts, and it made no perceptible improvement to the wheel alignment."

Any WEAR bad enough to cause a misalignment would be fairly obvious.
Check.. Frame, front to mid, then front/mid/rear.. THEN reset the Dropout width, THEN reset the dropout alignment, then re-check width and frame front/mid/rear... then check it all again, to be sure.

bent axles are easy t see.. spinthe axle and watchthe right end.. that's the end that always bends on an old freewheel hub...

one thing, one thing.... leads to ano-o-o-o-ther... hey hey hey . Props to "The Fixx".

Last edited by maddog34; 07-19-23 at 11:58 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-20-23, 07:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If the bike was ever right before, then why would one be too short or long. If something got bent or twisted, then it can be unbent or untwisted or something else can be bent or twisted.

No?
Old 07-20-23, 07:28 AM
smd4

If the bike was ever right before, then why would one be too short or long. If something got bent or twisted, then it can be unbent or untwisted or something else can be bent or twisted.

No?
Sure, but it does sound like a weird problem--centered between the chain stays, off-center between the seat stays? Not sure a "bend" that isn't (apparently) even visible would cause this. I'd love to see some pictures to make sure what's being described is accurate.
Old 07-20-23, 08:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Sure, but it does sound like a weird problem--centered between the chain stays, off-center between the seat stays? Not sure a "bend" that isn't (apparently) even visible would cause this. I'd love to see some pictures to make sure what's being described is accurate.
Well not really, it doesn't take a lot of movement at the axle to make a lot of difference at the tire. I don't really expect that the issue is the frame. But if the OP is handy at making stuff, then attaching the bike by the dropouts to something that is known to be horizontal to the ground will show if the frame is off kilter in the vertical. Which is one thing that would cause their issue. With a level, some threaded rod of the correct size, nuts and some 2x4's, all of which I have just laying around, I could make one pretty quick.

However I still think it's something else we just don't know about yet. Perhaps the drop out slot is just wallowed out. And if so, then a fixture wouldn't necessarily show that.
Old 07-20-23, 08:42 AM
kyselad
extra bitter

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

No?
I don't know whether this problem is relatively recent or was already there at the time of manufacture, as it was already there when I bought the bike. It didn't have a rack or fenders when I bought it, so it's entirely possible the bike was built this way and whoever owned it previously just didn't notice.
Old 07-20-23, 09:38 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by kyselad
I'm sort of stumped. All the info I find online seems more focused on lateral rather than vertical alignment issues. There's no apparent damage to the frame, but it's definitely a cheap mass-market model that may have had loose tolerances for tube lengths, welds, etc. Is there some way to fix this problem, or is it hopeless?
Check the head tube and seat tube are parallel. Do the string test to ensure the dropouts are centered on the front triangle. If you have a hefty bench vise firmly fitted to a bench you can clamp the faces of the bottom bracket and tug on the stays until they pass the string test and are correctly spaced in. If not you can support the frame on wooden blocks on the floor and with an assistant stand on it to set the stays. Set the dropouts parallel. Now when you check the rear triangle with a properly dished wheel you know that any misalignment is in the dropouts rather than the stays. You're aiming to get the rear rim coplanar with the front triangle, rather than centred in the stays - any apparent misalignment on the stays is now only cosmetic.
Old 07-20-23, 12:38 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
they're horizontal dropouts...
Old 07-20-23, 02:25 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I’d just true the wheel to the frame and call it good if it were me.
Old 07-20-23, 02:28 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by maddog34
they're horizontal dropouts...
You are correct (I saw “vertical” in the headline and went with it).

Last edited by smd4; 07-20-23 at 05:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.