Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I am Fred.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 10:02 PM
chinarider
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am Fred.

What else would you call a 60 year old guy, 15lbs overweight, who wears a mirror on his helmet and put aero bars on his 21 lb relaxed geometry road bike?

I confess, I did it and I’m glad I did. Not for the aero effect or speed (tho I’ll take those), but comfort. I’ve always had problems with my wrists getting sore and my hands going numb. I’ve played around with handlebar and brake hood position to no avail. I get temporary relief from taking a hand off the bars, but it doesn’t last long. One solution which seemed to help was resting my forearms on the handlebars just holding onto the brake cables. That gave some relief, but I couldn’t do it for long because my forearms would hurt and it’s an unstable position. I did like the stretched out position though.

The obvious solution was aero bars. Thought about it for a long time and finally got a pair. First ride today. Loved them. I can see why they’re banned in mass races, tho. Anyone else use them?
Old 07-13-12, 10:31 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.... I’ve always had problems with my wrists getting sore and my hands going numb. I’ve played around with handlebar and brake hood position to no avail.
Hmm...I find that very interesting. I, too, have a lot of problems with numbness of the hands. I've done a lot of things which have made the problem manageable, but it is still with me to some extent. I had never considered aerobars for the problem.

I see many people on my favorite MUP using aerobars, so I know they are popular. When I see people using them, I just figure they are training for time trials.
Old 07-14-12, 05:10 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I also have Aero-bars on my road bike. Not only does it help when fighting a headwind, it also makes a long day on the bike much more comfortable.

Needless to say, Aero-bars have a clear advantage over drops on windy, flat and straight roads.

I'm also using aero-bars as a comfortable alternative to riding on the drops and hoods. I now spend 40 percent of the ride on the aero-bars, 30 percent on the hoods and 30 percent on the drops. I'll use the drops for all technical riding. I never use the Aero-bars when in traffic or when I'm on a group ride.

I'm considering if I should add them to my 28 pound Touring/Monstercross bike. The Aero-bar position is a good alternative to riding on the drops and hoods even when aerodynamics is not a consideration. I have no problem keeping my balance when using the Aero-bars and cornering and bad pavement are not a concern most of the time.

I asked about bike-fit on the road forum before adding Aero-bars to my road bike. The thread provided a number of good responses: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ero+bars+drops
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-14-12 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-14-12, 05:30 AM
Ramfactor

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour Legacy, Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered my first road bike (been riding a comfort bike) so I could get more hand positions and more speed. Aero bars look like a great idea. I may have to try that. So many styles, how did you decide which ones to get?

Last edited by Ramfactor; 07-14-12 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-14-12, 05:39 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Go for it and get yourselves a brand new aero bike that's designed for an aero position. Then get the fitter to position it like a tri bike which isn't as aggressive as a time trial bike. If I had to choose, I would get a Cervelo P2 for that type of riding.
Old 07-14-12, 07:33 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I also have Aero-bars on my road bike. Not only does it help when fighting a headwind, it also makes a long day on the bike much more comfortable.

Needless to say, Aero-bars have a clear advantage over drops on windy, flat and straight roads.

I'm also using aero-bars as a comfortable alternative to riding on the drops and hoods. I now spend 40 percent of the ride on the aero-bars, 30 percent on the hoods and 30 percent on the drops. I'll use the drops for all technical riding. I never use the Aero-bars when in traffic or when I'm on a group ride.

I'm considering if I should add them to my 28 pound Touring/Monstercross bike. The Aero-bar position is a good alternative to riding on the drops and hoods even when aerodynamics is not a consideration. I have no problem keeping my balance when using the Aero-bars and cornering and bad pavement are not a concern most of the time.

I asked about bike-fit on the road forum before adding Aero-bars to my road bike. The thread provided a number of good responses: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ero+bars+drops
I'm considering putting them on my road bike. Like you, I understand that there are situations where it is inappropriate to use them. My concern would be showing up for a group ride and getting harrased by people who assume I don't know better.
Old 07-14-12, 07:34 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chinarider
What else would you call a 60 year old guy, 15lbs overweight, who wears a mirror on his helmet and put aero bars on his 21 lb relaxed geometry road bike?

I confess, I did it and I’m glad I did. Not for the aero effect or speed (tho I’ll take those), but comfort. I’ve always had problems with my wrists getting sore and my hands going numb. I’ve played around with handlebar and brake hood position to no avail. I get temporary relief from taking a hand off the bars, but it doesn’t last long. One solution which seemed to help was resting my forearms on the handlebars just holding onto the brake cables. That gave some relief, but I couldn’t do it for long because my forearms would hurt and it’s an unstable position. I did like the stretched out position though.

The obvious solution was aero bars. Thought about it for a long time and finally got a pair. First ride today. Loved them. I can see why they’re banned in mass races, tho. Anyone else use them?
To compound my Fredness, I've been told I look like Jerry Garcia.
Old 07-14-12, 07:43 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I'm considering putting them on my road bike. Like you, I understand that there are situations where it is inappropriate to use them. My concern would be showing up for a group ride and getting harrased by people who assume I don't know better.
Unless the club has specific rules against Aero-bars, the group should not voice any objections. Just don't use them while the group is anywhere within view.

Of course, some group riders might want to complain, but just explain that you never use the aero position while with a group.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-14-12, 09:16 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I see no need for aero bars. Does that make me a non-fred?
Old 07-14-12, 10:26 AM
chinarider
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramfactor
So many styles, how did you decide which ones to get?
I didn't have much choice. My LBS only had 2 models. On the cheaper ones there was no adjustment, so I opted for the more expensive ones ($89.00), which do allow a lot more adjustment. Glad I did. I know there are numerous mail order options, but for something like this I prefer to stick with the local shop.
Old 07-14-12, 10:29 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I didn't have much choice. My LBS only had 2 models. On the cheaper ones there was no adjustment, so I opted for the more expensive ones ($89.00), which do allow a lot more adjustment. Glad I did. I know there are numerous mail order options, but for something like this I prefer to stick with the local shop.
Can we see some pics of your setup?
Old 07-14-12, 10:45 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just be careful until you get some miles under your belt. Your bike is not going to handle the same way in corners, or even on the straights, as it will when you're on the hoods, or even on the drops. The reason why they're frowned upon in group rides is you're not as maneuverable if someone swings out to avoid a pothole, or some other obstruction. Most clubs allow bikes with them to participate in group rides, but prohibit riding on them unless you're pulling at the head of a paceline.
Old 07-14-12, 12:26 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry - a true Fred is TOTALLY unawares that he is a Fred, so you don't qualify.
Old 07-14-12, 12:28 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
chinarider,
I have seen a lot of riders with aerobars and all are in a pretty tight crouch. My excess belly usually precludes me getting any farther forward than the hoods or the flats. Maybe I ought to try a pair, but I have never been comfortable that far forward and low.

BTW I like your avatar and user name. May the four winds blow you safely home!

Last edited by Mort Canard; 07-14-12 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 01:34 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Sorry - a true Fred is TOTALLY unawares that he is a Fred, so you don't qualify.
Exactly right -----
FRED
Old 07-14-12, 02:44 PM
chinarider
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Can we see some pics of your setup?

If you have a sharp eye, you might notice that the bars have a slightly different bend. When I picked it up from the shop, they said it came that way and they didn't have another set. They called the distributor and will replace when the new set comes (another advantage of dealing with the LBS).

After riding the setup a couple of times, I can see why people put shifters on the bar ends. Does anyone know what's involved in doing that? Do you have to disconnect the brifters or can you have both? If it's one or the other, I leave it as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5photo.jpg (41.3 KB, 15 views)
1photo.jpg (48.4 KB, 12 views)
2photo.jpg (44.5 KB, 10 views)
3photo.jpg (53.9 KB, 11 views)
4photo.jpg (41.9 KB, 8 views)
5photo.jpg (41.8 KB, 12 views)
1photo.jpg (49.2 KB, 17 views)
2photo.jpg (45.1 KB, 15 views)
3photo.jpg (54.1 KB, 13 views)
4photo.jpg (42.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-14-12, 02:56 PM
chinarider
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mort Canard
chinarider,
I have seen a lot of riders with aerobars and all are in a pretty tight crouch. My excess belly usually precludes me getting any farther forward than the hoods or the flats. Maybe I ought to try a pair, but I have never been comfortable that far forward and low.
I think the crouch is less than when in the drops. Try resting your forearms on the bars and see how that feels. It will give you an idea, but with the raised pads, you're higher up than when simply resting on the bars.

BTW I like your avatar and user name. May the four winds blow you safely home!
. I like your signature.
Old 07-14-12, 03:45 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

After riding the setup a couple of times, I can see why people put shifters on the bar ends. Does anyone know what's involved in doing that? Do you have to disconnect the brifters or can you have both? If it's one or the other, I leave it as is.
It's one or the other, unless you have electronic shifting.... https://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...n-bikes-18919/

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-14-12 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 06:11 PM
chinarider
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It's one or the other, unless you have electronic shifting....
Now that would be Fred... shifting system costing more than the bike.
Old 07-14-12, 07:05 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I am Fred.
Is this one of those 12 step programs?