Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Non-Brompton front bags?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Non-Brompton front bags?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 11:56 AM
trrubicon06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Non-Brompton front bags?

I'm looking for a front bag for the front of my Brompton. I like the Brompton bags, but not the prices. I only plan to use the bag occasionally and spending $160+ on a bag doesn't work for me. I had the idea of getting the carrier block and one of the carry frames alone and using a handlebar bag. Has anybody else done this? Any bags work better then others?
Old 08-19-12, 12:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yup , First get the bag support frame, that fits over the frame block..
then you can get someone local to sew a bag to slide over it.

I had a messenger bag with a HD wide waist strap. i used a piece of coroplast in the bag ,
and found when I wrapped and clipped the buckle strap around the bag frame,
it was OK.

SJS cycles in UK has the bag frames.. separate,
web has pictures of people modifying the bag frames to clip on other pannier bags..

access to a metal fabrication shop? you can make
the bag side of the clip, others have.

FWIW Carradice has a Couple Brompton rack compatible bags , aiming at the commuter , in size..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-21-14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 01:21 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Nycewheels in NY where I bought the bike from actually sell both the regular and S frame. So, I got that part undercover. Just wanna see if anybody had ideas or would share their setups.
Old 08-19-12, 01:45 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trrubicon06
I'm looking for a front bag for the front of my Brompton. I like the Brompton bags, but not the prices. I only plan to use the bag occasionally and spending $160+ on a bag doesn't work for me. I had the idea of getting the carrier block and one of the carry frames alone and using a handlebar bag. Has anybody else done this? Any bags work better then others?
I have purchased the carrier block & one single bagless bare metal frame a few years back. I sew my own Brompton bags using regular domestic household sewing machines from Janome. I adapted already-sewn bags for the bare frame and/or sew one up from scratch. I now have a closet full of bags as it is so easy (especially with the adapted ones)!

Some Examples From Left: Adidas Adapted Bag (purchased from my local Ross Dress For Less discount store for 10 dollars), I Luv UK Beaded Tote Bag, 2 photographs of the Lined Beaded Tote Bag Interiors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Inside Lined Bag's Side.jpg (103.8 KB, 507 views)
I Luv UK On Brompton Itself.jpg (95.6 KB, 525 views)

Last edited by folder fanatic; 08-19-12 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 01:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

yahoo brompton group has a how to series of pix, on drilling out the poprivets. then narrowing the aluminum tubes , and clipping an Ortlieb pannier on..,

UK has some people, who modify brompons, make racks ..
Kinetics in Glasgow has a rack to fit a pannier pair.

Steve Parry, also in UK, made a clip that lets the HB bag
get screwed onto it.

he also made a tandem that you can store in a closet..
Starting with 2 Bromptons..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-19-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 02:08 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to search the forums and the net. Plenty stuff described out there, you`ll miss a lot of it if you just wait for the replies here.

Cheap Brompton bag is the Brompton basket. I added some material on top of it (made two) and turned it into a rolltop. This way nothing falls out of the basket and also the size can be extended quite a bit if needed.
Old 08-19-12, 03:52 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
You need to search the forums and the net. Plenty stuff described out there, you`ll miss a lot of it if you just wait for the replies here.

Cheap Brompton bag is the Brompton basket. I added some material on top of it (made two) and turned it into a rolltop. This way nothing falls out of the basket and also the size can be extended quite a bit if needed.
She's right. There are many, many ways of adding bags, accessories, and components that are not always sanctioned or even part of the usual Brompton offerings. Some of them smacks of something people do themselves at home recycling like these Demano Bags imported from Spain: https://www.nycewheels.com/demano-brompton-bag.html. Even from Eastern Europe: simple Romanian made bags-https://ulrotto.wordpress.com/2012/04...brompton-bikes/ Plus others done by noncommercial private people still scattered across the Internet. The point is people come up with the wittiest, cheapest ideas when the need & desire arises. Plus don't listen too much to or bother with the doomsayers and the ones who don't really have no encouragement in your quest for making bags or whatever that sometimes patronize forums & newsgroups.

If I did, I would not have the 2 dogs featured in my present Avatar or the nice kitty below in the signature-or the 3 bikes that are the best ones for me right now.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 08-19-12 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 04:44 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've searched a lot...just nothing solid popped up. I never ask questions on the forums without researching first. That's one thing I'm super anal about. I've only come across a few decent ideas from searches. This was my main reasoning for the thread. I have plenty of ideas which I said in my first post.
Old 08-20-12, 12:06 AM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
folder fanatic, can you please show some pictures of how you custom made your bags? I'm planning to do one soon myself and would like to see other people's takes on it.
Old 08-20-12, 06:06 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've searched a lot...just nothing solid popped up. I never ask questions on the forums without researching first. That's one thing I'm super anal about. I've only come across a few decent ideas from searches. This was my main reasoning for the thread. I have plenty of ideas which I said in my first post.
Actually, I found that the Internet is a big jumble of rather not very well organized information-and growing by leaps and bounds daily. Much of it is rather hidden in "graveyards" of mostly forgotten Websites, photos, videos, and filed under something else unrelated entirely. Be patient. Information will come rather slowly at first, then a lot faster.

Originally Posted by Training.Wheels
folder fanatic, can you please show some pictures of how you custom made your bags? I'm planning to do one soon myself and would like to see other people's takes on it.
Would a PDF file do? My Pictures folder right now is not very well organized (I am in the process of reorganizing it). But I have done some PDF patterns for the bikes as I usually do sketches, drawings, then photographs, to create the final sewing pattern as well.

Private Mail me for more information if you wish.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 08-20-12 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-20-12, 06:20 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I bought the carrier block and s-frame today online. I've found a few bags that I'm interested in. I plan on drilling the rivets out on the side rails and cutting them shorter, so they will match the profile of the bags. I'm also thinking about just removing the side rails for small/slim bags and then install the side rails with screws if I use a bigger bag.

This is like my first idea...
Old 08-20-12, 08:40 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've often thought about a modified bag as well to adapt to the Brompton frame. To be truthful though, at the end of the day, I was just too lazy, and the Brompton bags - well - they do work pretty well, especially the C-bag.
Old 08-20-12, 09:05 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Once I modified the Adidas bag for the Brompton's bare metal frame, I realize that I simply did not want to spend $150 US dollars for any bag that would work just as well at $10 dollars & a few hours (yes, hours-faster when you get used to the technique) of attaching straps to the bag at strategic points using a simple no frills home sewing machine.
Old 09-23-12, 02:53 PM
ketan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to all,

This the exact thread I was looking for. I have an s-type. Just bought the frame and block. I am planning on getting a bag made up to fit this. I am lucky that my old man happens to have an industrial sewing machine from his days as a machinists. I am going to try it with an old cycle courier bag and the the bag below (hopefully the pic came through) for something a little more grown up!

His current project is to reinforce some denim jeans and add some reflective strips to the turn up. Very similar to the new levi commuter jeans.
Attached Images
bag.jpg (105.8 KB, 814 views)
Old 09-23-12, 03:29 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ill post up my bag I made when I get home...along with some other mods to my brompton
Old 09-23-12, 04:00 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
... people come up with the wittiest, cheapest ideas when the need & desire arises...
So very true... I think I'll coin a phrase for that... "necessity is the mother of invention". How's that sound?
Old 09-23-12, 06:37 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's my new bag...

I drilled out the rivets on the S-bag frame to remove the side tubing.

The hooks hang on the top of the brompton rack under the handle and the bungee holds it down. I used the loops below to allow me to use webbing if needed.

The bungee hooks to flush mount screws on each side where the rivets used to be.

The hooks are stainless steel and pivot from side to side. I slipped on some tubing for cushion.

Everything is screwed through a corrugated plastic for sale sign. It keeps the bolts from ripping through and keeps the bag ridged.

This bag has a rear compartment that has a zipper closure. It keeps the plastic panel and screws separate from the rest of the bag.

The hooks fold almost flat and are barely noticeable when wearing messenger style.

With the rack detached and flipped backwards and upside down inside...

...it acts as a kickstand for the bag
Old 09-23-12, 06:40 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Also installed this to allow releasing the bag easier...
Old 09-24-12, 02:28 AM
ketan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trrubicon,

That has almost single highhandedly increased my obsession about getting a bag made up. That looks awesome. At least I have a much better idea of what I can do with the front carrier rack.

I think my front carrier and block arrive this week some time.......its A-team time (albeit minus the blow torch and weapons).

k
Old 09-24-12, 04:59 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fantastic.
Old 09-24-12, 06:19 AM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I forgot to add. The reason I made the bag attach with the hooks, is so I can use the bag on my dahons rear rack. So, its like a pannier bag.
Old 05-21-14, 01:27 PM
Hermespan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also installed this to allow releasing the bag easier...

Trrubicon06,

What a superb innovation! I find releasing it problematic.
Old 05-21-14, 08:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I tied a loop of nylon cord thru the hole in the catch release lever, with a rubber button on it. ..

My steel Brompton bag support got a 9" bottom forward extension. 3 tubes and a cross piece in front , to haul Cartons ..

I have a Messenger bag , it has a waist belt too , the waist belt wraps around the side tubes and snaps together.

so when I have something else to carry , I put the Messenger Bag on .

Since this old thread was revived... last Xmas I bought myself a Ortlieb-Brompton O bag .. Always Its Dry inside.
went with the Bigger rear pockets , they snap on .. replacing the smaller ones Included.

Also optional.. A Bottle Cage, and a Mesh bag to put your helmet or similar sized thing In It. then it folds up small when empty.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-18-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 01:08 PM
jahwind

Bikes: Brompton ML3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
  • Non-Brompton front bags?
I just received my Standard Carrier frame for my ML3 and fitted my Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack (which I had for many years) using the waist strap around the outside of the frame.
I looks great and even matches the color of my cobalt frame. The bag will hold up to 14 liters. There is no interference with the brake levers and the bike folds perfectly with the bag attached.

In the future I may drill the rivets out on the side rails to remove or trim the size down a bit.

If combined with my Relevate Seat Bag (8-16 liters) it will provide a good bit of storage.

So far I'm very happy with the results.
Oh yeah, just tested, I can easily fit a 6 pack of beer in the front bag!
Attached Images
BagSide.jpg (100.9 KB, 816 views)
FrontBag.jpg (89.4 KB, 810 views)
FlatBars.jpg (51.6 KB, 793 views)
FBSide.jpg (92.8 KB, 829 views)

Last edited by jahwind; 10-18-14 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 11:26 AM
masch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jahwind

If combined with my Relevate Seat Bag (8-16 liters) it will provide a good bit of storage.

So far I'm very happy with the results.
Oh yeah, just tested, I can easily fit a 6 pack of beer in the front bag!
Jahwind, what kind of quick-release system do you have that grips on the handlebar like that? Where can I find one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.