Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mini (shorty) aero bars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mini (shorty) aero bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 07:39 PM
t.braxt

Bikes: Cannondale SR600 and Schwinn Varsity 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mini (shorty) aero bars

I've seen alot of threads suggesting aerobar types but none say how comfortable mini aerobars are. I'm thinking of purchasing a pair and would like to know this. If you have mini aerobars, tell me what you think of them.
Old 11-11-13, 09:08 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-11-13, 09:28 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair, and they work fairly well except that my position isn't ideal for them. The problem I have is that my hands naturally want to hold further than the bars extend, but that's mostly because I ride a small bike with a short stem. If I choke up on the bars my elbows hit my knees.
I keep them on and more or less ride in the "invisible aerobar" position, since I don't actually hold on to the extensions. They make that position much more comfortable so I can stay in it for a long time, and they keep my arms narrower.

That being said, I prefer longer aerobars and would replace them if it was free. (which also means the shorty bars are good enough that I'm not willing to spend the bit of money)
If you think you might be fine with the short ones, your best bet might be to buy a brand which allows changing the extensions.
If I was in your position, I'd ride around in the invisible aerobar position for a bit and see where your hands naturally want to be, and decide if the shorty bars would be too short.
Old 11-12-13, 09:12 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by t.braxt
I've seen alot of threads suggesting aerobar types but none say how comfortable mini aerobars are. I'm thinking of purchasing a pair and would like to know this. If you have mini aerobars, tell me what you think of them.
With research, I found them to have been designed for hilly time trials. Light weight in return giving a road bike effect with a aero position for short periods of use. Unless you have a natural short reach (a.k.a. short arms) and plan to ride in aero position for long periods of time, I suggest longer more traditional aero bars. Most brands make bars of different lengths and some are adjustable for a more comfortable position.
Cheers
Old 11-12-13, 11:18 AM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shorty bars do also get used in draft legal triathlons, a lot of the ones for that purpose come with a bridge between the two extensions for safety. Mine don't have one so I bought a 3rd party bridge to put between the extensions because I leave them on my bike all the time and do group rides.