Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

International Redux

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

International Redux

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 12:11 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
International Redux

Two guys work at the same bikeshop in NorCal, but not exactly at the same time-missed each other by maybe 6 months. Life goes by, one moves back east, the other to the PNW. The bike bug reignites in one, stays strong in the other.

There's a shared affinity for vintage Raleigh's, the bikes of their childhood (isn't that the way it goes with us types). The PNW guy starts modifying them, feeling the rando bug (he is close to the BQ gang after all). The easterly guy collects a slew of them, fixes them up, they morph from fixie to IGH to modern derailleur, as they turn out to be extremely versatile frames. 27", 700c, 650b, lots of options with and without fenders.

The east coast guy comes across one that is pretty raggedy. a bit dented up, and won't be missed if the west coast guy screws the pooch. So he ships it to the left coast, and it sits a bit, queued up, ready for the torch.

It's time to start work on @nlerner's 1971 Raleigh International.

First, the dent.

You dent a tube, somewhere else it pops out-a zero sum game. Normally I'd just get a set of aluminum frame tubes, lube 'em up, clamp,, and roll it until most of the dent is worked out. In this case, however, a brake cable guide is in the way. It's gotta go. Some flux to keep the charring down, and lots of heat right on the boss until it glows, but before the tube overheats, then yank it of with some pliers

Note that there's a hole where the cable guide was. Raleigh pinned these in place back in the day.

Clean everything up before the next step:

A set of 1" aluminum frame blocks comes in handy for the next step. Lube 'em up first:

I can't emphasize enough how a good, strong vice gets used over and over again when working with frames:

Clamp tight and wiggle back and forth, working the frame back to round.

Sand it, clean it up, flux and filler:

Some hot water dissolves the flux, light filing and the shoe shine method with some 80 grit utility cloth, after paint you'll never know it was dented.

Old 11-17-16, 12:46 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Very cool, Gugie. I've always wondered how that sort of thing was done. Thx for the concise tutorial!

One spelling correction though: A good strong "vise" is what you use to pinch alloy blocks around a dented tube; a good strong "vice" is my penchant for booze.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 11-17-16, 05:14 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
Ah, nice. Curious to see where this goes.
Old 11-17-16, 05:38 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I've been staring at that dent for years now, so I'm very glad to see it go away! Thanks, @gugie.
Old 11-17-16, 07:10 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
@gugie You are becoming a God!!! ;-)
Old 11-17-16, 07:13 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Gugie, you have a gift for explaining your work, much like a good teacher will have. Thanks for sharing the International Redux with us here.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-17-16, 07:14 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I can't emphasize enough how a good, strong vice gets used over and over again when working with frames:

Thank you. Great post with excellent photos. I've got a small TT dent too but, alas, no block set. And I agree about having a real good vise, well mounted to a solid stand. I see in your last photo that you have the requisite jaw covers. I have made hard wood replacement jaws, a set of copper covers, a set of aluminum covers and a set of stainless steel covers (from a stainless drinking cup dispenser pulled out of the bin at our transfer station). I use them often for both bike work and general machinery repair. Well done.
Old 11-17-16, 07:19 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
First, the dent.
Nice work, very well presented.
Agree that the Internat'l is highly versatile and worth the effort to preserve/transform to meet current requirements. Interested to see what comes next.

-Bandera
Old 11-17-16, 07:21 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Very interesting the locator holes for the cable stops.
Raleigh did have good production engineers.
Also note how little was submersed in the plating tank.
Don't waste that good Rhodesian chrome. (Former British colony)

If mine was not such a time capsule, I would consider modifying it.

I agree on a big sturdy vise. I got mine from National Lumber when they were closing down, weighs near 100lbs, $15. Need a solid bench below too. I really like gugie's back bench with the drawers, very cool.
Old 11-17-16, 08:27 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Nice!
Old 11-17-16, 10:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
One spelling correction though: A good strong "vise" is what you use to pinch alloy blocks around a dented tube; a good strong "vice" is my penchant for booze.
I don't know why, but until I hit the save button and reread my posts, I almost never find spelling and grammar errors. And most of the time I don't reread them...

Fixed, thanks.
Old 11-17-16, 10:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Gugie, you have a gift for explaining your work, much like a good teacher will have. Thanks for sharing the International Redux with us here.

Bill
Thanks! I like to use lots of pictures. It's hard to mis-spell those...
Old 11-17-16, 11:11 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
gugie -

As a retired teacher, I am assigning you an A+ on your tutorial. Very interesting and clear. Thanks for the effort on the presentation.
Old 11-17-16, 11:13 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Prowler
Thank you. Great post with excellent photos. I've got a small TT dent too but, alas, no block set.
Thanks for the kind words.

For a bit more detail on the process, here's a
(not mine).

You can make frame blocks out of hardwood with 1, 1-1/8, and 1-1/4" forstner bits on a drill press for accuracy. A hole saw would work as well, but the runout is much higher, typically, so the hole will be on the big side, and the amount of dent left over will be a bit bigger, no biggie. After you bore out the hole, just cut them in half with the grain (so they won't split in use). Since the forces on the block are in compression, with a vise backing them, should mostly do the job.

As noted in the video, and in my notes, it won't get rid of the dent completely, just makes the tube very close to perfectly round. Fill the small dent with JB Weld, let it cure, carefully file, and once you start nicking the steel, switch to 80 grith utility cloth. JB Weld can take powder coat temperatures.

I use brass and/or silver filler rod because I have it around.
Old 11-17-16, 11:22 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
You've completely changed my ideas of what frames can be made to look nice again! Have I talked to you about the Schwinn Voyager in my garage?
Old 11-17-16, 12:56 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 78 Posts
I tried making some frame blocks from hardwood (oak) but they cracked in the vise, so I bought a set of aluminum blocks. Only about $20 and much less screwing around.
Old 11-17-16, 02:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by kroozer
I tried making some frame blocks from hardwood (oak) but they cracked in the vise, so I bought a set of aluminum blocks. Only about $20 and much less screwing around.
I have a set of each, but never used the wood ones to relieve a dent. I have read other that claimed they were able to. YMMV.

Paragon has them for under $20, a set of 3 for the main tubing sizes would run you around $50 shipped. Not a bad thing to have in your kit.
Old 11-17-16, 02:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andy_K
You've completely changed my ideas of what frames can be made to look nice again! Have I talked to you about the Schwinn Voyager in my garage?
@Andy_K, come on down! You're the next contestant on Save That Frame!
Old 11-17-16, 02:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Why is it better to roll out the dent before filling it?

Yeah, spelling is a funny thing. I had a google alert to show me vises for sale on craigslist, but I wasn't getting hits. Then I learned that most people spell it "vice." Adjusted the filters, and I got some hits, and I eventually got a good vise very cheap.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-17-16, 02:21 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Why is it better to roll out the dent before filling it?

Yeah, spelling is a funny thing. I had a google alert to show me vises for sale on craigslist, but I wasn't getting hits. Then I learned that most people spell it "vice." Adjusted the filters, and I got some hits, and I eventually got a good vise very cheap.
Originally Posted by Gugie
You dent a tube, somewhere else it pops out-a zero sum game.
The few large dents I've seen seem to have "ovalized" the tube, with the excess beside rather than opposite the dent.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 11-17-16, 02:42 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by SloButWide
The few large dents I've seen seem to have "ovalized" the tube, with the excess beside rather than opposite the dent.
This.

Try it with an aluminum can. Push a small dent in it, you'll find that somewhere else it pushed out. With small dents, even the one on nlerner's frame, it's pretty much just aesthetics. Since there's a whole bunch more torchin' coming up, the frame will get repainted. Nothing worse than having a fresh coat of paint and seeing a dent that didn't get filled.

But I should say that it may not be all aesthetics, after all. I apply a liberal amount of placebium on all of these remakes. It seems to have the same effect as a related element on the veliodic chart, drillium, although unobtanium is what you really want, if you can find it. All of these seem to make the bike go faster. Newpartium is a most effective element, but the half-life is rather short, sometimes decaying into Boxocrappium far too soon.
Old 11-17-16, 02:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by noglider
I posted to the RBW group a few times, and made the mistake of spelling it Rivendale. Everytime I searched with that spelling google corrected me, so it reinforced my keystroke memory. Man, did I catch some gruff for that! Now I just call them Riv and Dale. They have a commune in Walnut Creek, hidden in plain site amongst capitalist squalor.
Old 11-17-16, 03:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-17-16, 04:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
This.

Try it with an aluminum can. Push a small dent in it, you'll find that somewhere else it pushed out. With small dents, even the one on nlerner's frame, it's pretty much just aesthetics. Since there's a whole bunch more torchin' coming up, the frame will get repainted. Nothing worse than having a fresh coat of paint and seeing a dent that didn't get filled.

But I should say that it may not be all aesthetics, after all. I apply a liberal amount of placebium on all of these remakes. It seems to have the same effect as a related element on the veliodic chart, drillium, although unobtanium is what you really want, if you can find it. All of these seem to make the bike go faster. Newpartium is a most effective element, but the half-life is rather short, sometimes decaying into Boxocrappium far too soon.
Obviously, the bike will end up Red. The Fastest Color.
Old 11-17-16, 04:57 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
No one asked me, but I vote multicam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.