Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

V-Brake balancing screw is cracked, do I need to replace the whole brake?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 01:54 PM
Abilxey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty new to bikes, so hopefully I'm using the right terminology. I noticed my front tire made a small scrapping sound after a few weeks of having this bike (mountain bike hybrid). Since I didn't know better, I just ignored it until the sound got really bad after a small accident.

I did a little research and found the solution is to adjust the balancing/centering screws on the V-brake. This is when I realized that not only was one of the screws missing but the hole itself was cracked. I was able to get a replacement screw to fit and adjust the brakes a little bit but it can't be adjusted beyond that.
​​
​​​​I think I can fix this but do I need to replace the entire front brake? Is it possible to just replace this one balancing part? (Sorry, I'm still I little fogging on the terminology)

I had pictures but the site won't let me use them in this post.
Old 11-27-19, 02:25 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What you have is a die casting that has developed a crack where the adjusting screw hole had been drilled. If it was my bike, I'd replace the whole brake.
Old 11-27-19, 02:39 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
First, make sure your wheel is firmly in the dropouts of the frame or fork. If the wheel is not straight then it will be very difficult to get your brakes adjusted properly. You can judge the straightness by looking at the bike from the front or back, and see if the centre of the tire is centred in the frame or fork - if there is a hole above the wheel (usually used to mount a fender) then use this to eyeball the tire and determine if it is straight.

In many cases, you only need one brake balancing screw. If the side with the screw is too close or not fully retracting from the rim after you let go of the lever, then tighten the screw. If the other side is too close or not retracting, loosen the screw.

If it turns out to be difficult to adjust, then a pair of new V brake arms costs around $10. Here's a cheap set: https://www.amazon.ca/Professional-M...=sports&sr=1-4

Don't replace anything until you are sure the existing brakes are the problem, though.