Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's your experience with zwift and smart trainers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's your experience with zwift and smart trainers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 05:05 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22686 Post(s)
Liked 9,020 Times in 4,200 Posts
It’s a nasty weather day here in the NE so about to do my first Zwift ride since March. I have a group of friends who do a social/fun ride on Sunday mornings IRL so I made a meetup with voice chat on Discord and am hoping it will be a reasonable alternative to the real thing.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-25-23, 08:06 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
What made the bike and trainer incompatible?
I had a Winspace T1500 in a S 44cm and it has really compressed chain stays that bent inwards, so there was clearance issues on the thru axle side were the frame would rub against the trainer and started to eat at the paint just a tiny bit. Granted it was only by 1mm-2mm so I fixed if using some washers, but shortly after my RD conked out and wouldn't hold tension so I had to RMA the part and again at that point I was pretty dissatisfied with smart trainers period . I can't imagine this is an issue with a larger sized bike or anything but a Winspace T1500 which isn't a common bike

Last edited by Jrasero; 09-25-23 at 08:09 AM.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 09-25-23, 09:42 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
I definitely prefer outside, but indoors can be quite nice with all the current tech.
I definitely recommend a good fan. I did a TT with one of my two mediocre fans accidently turned off. It was terrible. Decided to buy a good fan and my next TT was over 40 watts higher.