Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

What is with this new format?

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 05-20-20, 09:52 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts

This week bikeforums seems to have changed its format. I don't know why but I find it a major downgrade for use on a desktop or laptop computer. The information in the threads list seams to be greatly dumbed down. For example. you used to be able to hover over a thread title and see the first few sentences and determine if it interests you. Now you have to open the thread and if it is not of interest you have to go back again. Also, you used to be able to go right to the last page of a thread and now you first have to open the thread and click a second time to go to the last page.

I personally find this stops me from contributing as I spend more time just navigating to where I want to go. Why the change? Is it to make use on a mobile device easier, as I never had issues there either.It feels like a big step backwards. I am disappointed, is it just me?
Old 05-20-20, 10:53 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
if there was a change then I did not notice it ... therefore assuming the format change was not substantial to worry about :-)
Old 05-20-20, 10:58 AM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
if there was a change then I did not notice it ... therefore assuming the format change was not substantial to worry about :-)
I am getting an entire new look with everything changed. I have not changed my link to the forum so something has happened.
Old 05-20-20, 11:34 AM
bikeaddiction1

I think I am maybe getting the mobile version on my desktop, but I don't know how that happened or how to switch back?
Old 05-20-20, 11:35 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
I think I am maybe getting the mobile version on my desktop, but I don't know how that happened or how to switch back?
Lower left hand corner of screen (at least on desktop view), you can change the forum mask (or whatever it's called) to "BikeForumsNG"
Likes For mprince:
Old 05-20-20, 11:38 AM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by mprince
Lower left hand corner of screen (at least on desktop view), you can change the forum mask (or whatever it's called) to "BikeForumsNG"
Thanks, I had just figured it out before I read your post. I don't know how I got in there in the first place though.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 05-25-20, 03:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
The only change I've seen is that "go advanced" displays pictures. Which for a moderator is a bad thing
Old 07-17-20, 08:34 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
On iOS 13.5.1 ...

A day or so ago when I open a thread I get an expanded view on any one contributor.

takes up a tremendous amount of screen, so much I just closed out and figured the software was bugy

by accident I scrolled and found content below after a reboot. Really really annoying- I don’t need so much info on any one contributor.

not sure if the system was changed or aware
Old 07-19-20, 08:35 PM
Tempo88

Bikes: 88 Schwinn tempo,96 Gary fisher mamba

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
iOS 13.5.1

Originally Posted by repechage
A day or so ago when I open a thread I get an expanded view on any one contributor.

takes up a tremendous amount of screen, so much I just closed out and figured the software was bugy

by accident I scrolled and found content below after a reboot. Really really annoying- I don’t need so much info on any one contributor.

I’m experiencing the same issues. In fact sometimes it seems to freeze up not allowing me to exit the page.
Old 07-20-20, 08:23 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

Originally Posted by Tempo88
I’m experiencing the same issues. In fact sometimes it seems to freeze up not allowing me to exit the page.
We just had a small update recently. Just don't click on a username and you should be fine. It only appears when you click on someone's username in the mobile skin. If it does pop up, click "Close X" in the upper righthand corner of the screen.
Old 07-21-20, 10:49 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
We just had a small update recently. Just don't click on a username and you should be fine. It only appears when you click on someone's username in the mobile skin. If it does pop up, click "Close X" in the upper righthand corner of the screen.
I saw that X, but it has a small "live" area or does not work for me.