Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Not so sure this is a De Rosa....

Old 09-07-20, 04:30 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Not so sure this is a De Rosa....

I posted this bike a few days ago as something the gf was excited to acquire but after reading some threads here and finding various photos I’m not sure it’s legitimate. It was sold as a Nuovo Classico (as marked) and believed to be from the 90’s but not sure.
In the pics you’ll see that the dropouts and frame are marked De Rosa but the fork looks suspect (to what little I know). I think it has clearly been repainted and she loves the way it rides but.... is it real?

This is a 1” fork stem not 1- 1/8”

Stamped DeRosa both dropouts

Stamped DeRosa
Old 09-07-20, 05:00 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
What do the dropouts on the fork say? De Rosa did offer a unicrown fork at one time. The frame is obviously a De Rosa.
Old 09-07-20, 05:19 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by jiangshi
What do the dropouts on the fork say? De Rosa did offer a unicrown fork at one time. The frame is obviously a De Rosa.
The only marks on the front dropouts is a letter “ D” on one side and a “G” on the other. (Both on the inside)
Old 09-07-20, 06:28 PM
abourgault

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2020, Marinoni VR2 2005 (sold)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is the 'D' on the right side and the 'G' on the left side? because 'Right' in french is 'Droit' and 'Left' is 'Gauche'.
Old 09-07-20, 06:31 PM
Tomm Willians

The D is on the drive side
Old 09-07-20, 06:33 PM
Tomm Willians

And as I mentioned the neck stem is 1” not 1-1/8”
Old 09-07-20, 06:39 PM
Tomm Willians

Ahhh. Just found 1” DeRosa forks on EBay so I guess that isn’t an indicator of it being non original.
Old 09-11-20, 08:02 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
To steal an old Seinfeld reference -- "Its real and its spectacular !"

i question the validity of the $400 estimate on your previous post -- DeRosa didnt make mid range bikes to the best of my knowledge, although the Veloce derailleur i see is a mid range component (for Campy) a carbon fork was so uboquitous in the nineties that its hard for me to tell if its original or not - but the paint looks like a very ice match

As always, some pics of the whole bike would be nice

Old 09-11-20, 08:36 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
If it helps, here's a gallery with pics of my Nuovo Classico. There's a whole lot to your's that doesn't match mine.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/de_rosa

And one pic from that gallery....

Old 09-11-20, 10:05 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by jamesdak
If it helps, here's a gallery with pics of my Nuovo Classico. There's a whole lot to your's that doesn't match mine.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/de_rosa

And one pic from that gallery....

Thats a beaut ! -- The angle of some of the photos of the OP's makes it look like it may have an OS downtube --
Old 09-11-20, 01:30 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
^^^^^The Red & White one looks real
Old 09-11-20, 01:35 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by klasse
^^^^^The Red & White one looks real

It does, but it also looks a decade older than the purple one -- i am curious about the differences between the bikes of the 80's and some of the later model units
Old 09-11-20, 05:00 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by DMC707
It does, but it also looks a decade older than the purple one -- i am curious about the differences between the bikes of the 80's and some of the later model units
I'm no expert on these but mine is TSX which puts it in the early 90s. It was always my understanding the the Nuovo Classico existed to be like the older lugged steel bikes. I'm question the fork and cable guides and such on the OP's. Dropouts and BB are De Rosa I just wonder if the fork was replace, it was repainted, and then decaled with what was available. All that really matter though is if it rides like a De Rosa!
Old 09-11-20, 05:06 PM
jamesdak 

A guide for them through the mid 80's for reference

Old 09-19-20, 05:30 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
There exists an "other" DeRosa that built frames in Pozzuoli and pre-dated Ugo's company by a decade. They were building modern bikes until at least 10 years ago when I stopped checking. It appears their website was purchased by the current owner of Ugo's trademark, so maybe the Southern Italian DeRosa is now defunct.

​​​​​​ITALIAN CYCLING JOURNAL: The "Other" De Rosa

You'll note one of the frames depicted in this blog post has "DeRosa" stamped on the BB. So it's possible someone painted and rebranded your Pozzuoli DeRosa bike as an Ugo DeRosa.

Last edited by JunkYardBike; 09-19-20 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 05:56 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
There exists an "other" DeRosa that built frames in Pozzuoli and pre-dated Ugo's company by a decade. They were building modern bikes until at least 10 years ago when I stopped checking. It appears their website was purchased by the current owner of Ugo's trademark, so maybe the Southern Italian DeRosa is now defunct.

​​​​​​ITALIAN CYCLING JOURNAL: The "Other" De Rosa

You'll note one of the frames depicted in this blog post has "DeRosa" stamped on the BB. So it's possible someone painted and rebranded your Pozzuoli DeRosa bike as an Ugo DeRosa.
Nope. It's an Ugo De Rosa. No doubt whatsoever.