Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DT Swiss Competition Spoke Tension

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 08:38 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts

I'm building a set of wheels for my Miyata 912 using Sun M13 ll (700C) rims, small flange hubs and DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes @ 3X.

What would be acceptable spoke tensions for the drive side and non-drive side spokes? I'm using an old Wheelsmith Spoke Tensiometer.
Old 09-10-20, 09:04 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Spoke tension is generally limited by the rim. I'd shoot for 100kg on the drive side. The non drive will be whatever it takes to have the rim centered and the proper tension on the drive side. You don't measure tension on the nds when building wheels. I'm not sure what this equates to on the WS tension meter, I've never used one.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-10-20, 09:19 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Spoke tension is generally limited by the rim. I'd shoot for 100kg on the drive side. The non drive will be whatever it takes to have the rim centered and the proper tension on the drive side. You don't measure tension on the nds when building wheels. I'm not sure what this equates to on the WS tension meter, I've never used one.
Thank you. I'm up to around 90kg on the drive side, the NDS was about half of that so I played with the axle spacing to get the NDS spoke tension to about 60kg or so. I need to double check the freewheel to dropout spacing.
Old 09-10-20, 09:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Agree with most of this; I normally aim for 105-115 kgf, but the spokes will handle a lot more tension than the rim.

I do check NDS at the end of the build, though. I go around the wheel and see what the range is; it's often below the scale (Park tensiometer) to perhaps 70 kgf. I'll get the low spokes up as close to the high ones without disturbing the true too much. If the high spokes are at 70-75 kgf, I can usually get the low spokes up to at least 60 kgf before the wheel starts to move. Those low tension spokes are the ones that are going to experience cyclic stress going to 0 and back up, fatigue, and fracture if I don't equalize tension as much as possible.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-10-20, 09:34 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Agree with most of this; I normally aim for 105-115 kgf, but the spokes will handle a lot more tension than the rim.

I do check NDS at the end of the build, though. I go around the wheel and see what the range is; it's often below the scale (Park tensiometer) to perhaps 70 kgf. I'll get the low spokes up as close to the high ones without disturbing the true too much. If the high spokes are at 70-75 kgf, I can usually get the low spokes up to at least 60 kgf before the wheel starts to move. Those low tension spokes are the ones that are going to experience cyclic stress going to 0 and back up, fatigue, and fracture if I don't equalize tension as much as possible.
If your high and low tension spokes have that much difference there is either something wrong w/ the rim or something wrong with your wheel building technique. If the rim is round and you finish with the recommended tension on the drive side, and of course the rim is centered and you continue on and mess around w/ adding tension to the nds the rim will no longer be centered. NDS tension does not matter. It might be nice to have more of it, that's why OCR rims were developed. It doesn't mean you add tension to nds spokes on a normal rim to achieve a certain desired amount of tension.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-10-20, 10:58 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
I built my rear @110 kgf DS.
NDS is listed @ 71% per SpoCalc.
135mm Shimano hub
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-10-20, 11:22 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I try for at least 100Kg on the drive side on 32 and 36 spoke wheels. The NDS is the tension that keeps the rim centered.
The only time I have had problems with that is with a Power tap hub that had too much offset. It required about 120Kg DS to bring the NDS up to an acceptable level.
Likes For davidad:
Old 09-10-20, 11:49 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I built my rear @110 kgf DS.
NDS is listed @ 71% per SpoCalc.
135mm Shimano hub
Right...that's what you'd end up with if the DS was at 110...but you wouldn't put the tension meter on the NDS and try to get 78kgf. It's what they end up at with DS at the recommended tension.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-11-20, 05:09 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Right...that's what you'd end up with if the DS was at 110...but you wouldn't put the tension meter on the NDS and try to get 78kgf. It's what they end up at with DS at the recommended tension.
Well, you're right/wrong. It'd calculate 71% no matter what the DS tension was.
In reality, I only got about 70kgf, not the calculated 78kgf.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 09-11-20 at 05:12 AM.