Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will any friction downtube shifters work with 9-speed cassette?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 10:42 AM
Yung Piss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm putting a bike together that will be using downtube shifters. My title sort if says it all... Can I buy any set of old downtube levers from eBay and use them with a 9-speed cassette? Do older levers that were originally for 7-speed or less not have enough range to reach all the cogs on an 8, 9 or 10-speed cassette?

Last edited by Yung Piss; 09-17-20 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 10:56 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Friction shifters will shift anything.
Old 09-17-20, 11:03 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Yes. The only potential exception is Sram 1:1 ratio derailleurs, which may require more cable pull to cross the whole cassette than some shifters can accommodate.

I have a 9 sp cassette and chain, and a Shimano 9 sp rear derailleur connected to a 7 sp bar end shifter set to 'friction' mode. It works perfectly 100% of the time. I might switch to indexed 9 speed shifters at some point, but there is no urgent need.
Old 09-17-20, 11:31 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Generally speaking, yes, almost any older friction shifter will move across a larger 8-9-10 speed cassette.
I would caution against using some of the 70’s friction shifters with smaller barrels, however. Originally intended for five speed and may not be able to'pull enough cable.
I have some older Suntour friction shifters and the barrel is noticably smaller than the Shimano 6207’s that are my faves.
Old 09-17-20, 11:40 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
I have 9-speed DA downtube shifters but when I put them in friction mode they won't hold the gear and the derailleur creeps and eventually upshifts.

They work great in index mode. The friction tightening thing is a regular screw and I really cranked down on it and it just won't tighten enough.
I recommend looking for shifters that have the ratcheting feature for extra hold.

Old 09-17-20, 12:00 PM
Yung Piss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet! Thanks all, will hunt around now
Old 09-17-20, 12:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I use a SunTour Superbe DT friction on my 9-speed. It has a relatively small drum diameter so it is folded all the way back in low gear but it shifts beautifully.
Old 09-17-20, 02:03 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Yung Piss
I'm putting a bike together that will be using downtube shifters. My title sort if says it all... Can I buy any set of old downtube levers from eBay and use them with a 9-speed cassette? Do older levers that were originally for 7-speed or less not have enough range to reach all the cogs on an 8, 9 or 10-speed cassette?
I tried using a 7-speed downtube friction shifter with a 9-speed cassette several years ago and had a terrible time with ghost shifting. I could shift across the full range of the cassette, but no matter how much I tightened the friction set screw, it would ghost shift if I stood up or tried to accelerate hard. I ended up buying NOS 9-speed downtube shifters that were indexed (Dura-Ace from ebay). It took 5 minutes to install them and I never had a problem with shifting on that bike again.

Maybe if you can find a good set of friction shifters you can make it work, but given the amount of NOS 9-speed parts still on ebay, I would just go for the indexed version.